Getting rid of smoking smell. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Getting rid of smoking smell.

Last week I bought a 2013 Mustang premium with 44k on the odometer, Other than what looked liked a a repaired right-side mirror and a clean carfax it looked great. Now, I think I am smelling that "smoke" smell one would smell if they had smoked in their car for some period of time.Its not really strong and I cant be sure if it really is "smoke" because I have never smoked and really have no experience with the smell. I know that the car was an AVIS rental prior to my owning it. The only tell that it might have been smoked in is a slight burn mark on the bottom of the plastic covering the computer screen between the gauges.

I would have just bought a new mustang but the dealer only had 3 on the lot(1 GT base, 1 base v6 and this one) and they would have cost from 3k-8k more.

What can I do to get the smell out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
PONY Member

Get a can of Ozium. My former 07 GT had a lingering cigarette smell when I got it, and Ozium got rid of it completely.

Jim T.
Present: 2018 Mustang GT (MT): Shadow Black

Past: 2007 Mustang GT Premium (MT), 2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
PONY Member

It will go away. You bought a rental car, and that's part of buying one.

Through cleaning and lots of fresh air (windows down) it will go away.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks guys, I just bought the ozium online so thanks for that tip. Yeah I figured it was gonna be smoked in, I just cant tell if the smell is cleaning chemicals the dealer used or actual cigarette smoke. I guess thats what I get for having a sensitive 21 year old nose.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Thanks guys, I just bought the ozium online so thanks for that tip. Yeah I figured it was gonna be smoked in, I just cant tell if the smell is cleaning chemicals the dealer used or actual cigarette smoke. I guess thats what I get for having a sensitive 21 year old nose.
You are smelling a mixture of both. Smoke smell is something you don't just 'make up' in your head. You know it is there. And every rental I've ever been in (and I rent only from AVIS), has been smoked in. No matter how new the car was. I always saw ashes, some burn marks near the window, and that musty,smokey smell that you can't avoid.

Hopefully the Ozium will take care of the problem
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
Apprentice

You may also try steaming the carpets and seats as well. I've had some luck using steam to release the smell.

2014 Hertz/Penske Mustang GT
2011 VW GTI
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings View Post
You are smelling a mixture of both. Smoke smell is something you don't just 'make up' in your head. You know it is there. And every rental I've ever been in (and I rent only from AVIS), has been smoked in. No matter how new the car was. I always saw ashes, some burn marks near the window, and that musty,smokey smell that you can't avoid.

Hopefully the Ozium will take care of the problem
Yeah, I know the smell is there I just dont want to believe it.... haha. Ill be going by Walmart today to pick up the Ozium. If that doesnt work ill take it somewhere to be professionally cleaned. I would have bought another mustang but the dealer was able to get my bank to cooperate(at 4% APR) when no others would accept me due to the fact im 21. I also got a decent deal on it, paid 18,900 for it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier0829 View Post
You may also try steaming the carpets and seats as well. I've had some luck using steam to release the smell.
Yes, I wondered about that. The seats are leather so I am wary of putting solvents on them/cleaning.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

or you can just start smoking yourself and won't notice the stink.

outside the box........

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

Quote:
Last week I bought a 2013 Mustang premium with 44k on the odometer... I know that the car was an AVIS rental prior to my owning it.
Smoke smell should eventually go away...hopefully. I would be more worried about it being an AVIS rental car. Rental cars, especially Mustangs, get seriously beat on...at least in MY experience.

2013 Mustang GT Premium (6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, GT500 axle-backs, no resonators), 1998 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amad View Post
Smoke smell should eventually go away...hopefully. I would be more worried about it being an AVIS rental car. Rental cars, especially Mustangs, get seriously beat on...at least in MY experience.
Well I can live with the smoke smell if it never goes away but the car seems mechanically sound. I had to replace the Engine air filter and cabin air filter as well as buy a new set of tires for the rear of the car. Seems Avis sorta used up all the consumables and sold it.

Its a V6 automatic and you cant even do a burnout without a tune so im not sure how much of beating it has taken but it should be fine since its still within the Ford power train warranty and the dealer sold me a WRAP warranty that should cover anything else. Not to mention the dealer warranty's its power train for life. So I have like 3 warranty's so hopefully ill be ok .
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
or you can just start smoking yourself and won't notice the stink.

outside the box........
Heh, I actually thought of that for like 2 seconds on the way to work today. Then I was like yeah...no.
Apprentice

Quote:

Its a V6 automatic and you cant even do a burnout without a tune so im not sure how much of beating it has taken but it should be fine since its still within the Ford power train warranty and the dealer sold me a WRAP warranty that should cover anything else. Not to mention the dealer warranty's its power train for life. So I have like 3 warranty's so hopefully ill be ok .

I rented a V6 in Vegas a few weeks ago. I was able to power brake a pretty good burnout with it. I was also able to get it sideways, spinning the tires on dry pavement.

2013 Mustang GT Premium (6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, GT500 axle-backs, no resonators), 1998 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250
PONY Member

As was also mentioned, leave the windows down whenever you can. Hopefully yours lives in a garage.

A lot of car lots now days have an ozone generator device they stick in the car overnight which does a magnificent job of destroying that odor. But that's not feasible for anyone to run out and buy. The one we had at my previous employer looked very pricey.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amad View Post
I rented a V6 in Vegas a few weeks ago. I was able to power brake a pretty good burnout with it. I was also able to get it sideways, spinning the tires on dry pavement.
As far as I know it would be pretty difficult to get a 2013 v6 automatic model to do that. At least I couldn't get it to. Might explain why the rear tires were at 4/32 and the front at 16/32... either way, got some new Michelin's and they are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntoy View Post
As was also mentioned, leave the windows down whenever you can. Hopefully yours lives in a garage.

A lot of car lots now days have an ozone generator device they stick in the car overnight which does a magnificent job of destroying that odor. But that's not feasible for anyone to run out and buy. The one we had at my previous employer looked very pricey.
Yup, its garaged. I have heard about those devices and saw that I might be able to take it somewhere to get it done. That will have to be a worst case scenario situation though as ill have to rent a car to do all that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page