Made it to the track last night - results - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Made it to the track last night - results

Well after a 12 year hiatus from drag racing a finally made it back last night. Time were somewhat disappointing. I couldnt get any kind of traction whatsoever on the stock pirelli's. I thought that they would do better then they did but I was wrong.
I spun through every gear and almost lost it in second as it just would not hook up. I took my dad with me and had some friends there and they confirmed my traction issues. The really weird thing that I dont have a clue about and had me super pissed off was I missed 4th gear twice, its like the car would not go into 4th. I couldnt understand it. Does this have something to do with the skip shift or something. I have never missed 4th gear in anything before. If anything it was always third in my foxes and a couple SN95's and that was remedied with a short throw. Best time was a solo run cause the guy next to me broke at the water box. I was sitting there staged waiting and waiting and nothing, so I turned around to see what the deal was and when I turned back around the light was green, so my reaction time is like that of a 103 year old. LOL
Best I could muster with no traction was 13.393 @ 109.65.
60ft was almost 2.4 but that was all spinning.
Heres my slip, as you can see if was a single pass cause the guy next to me broke.

Has anyone ever missed 4th before? I just dont get it. I was livid, but I just couldnt get it in there for the life of me.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
PONY Member

I had a similar issue when I went the past two times. I realized that it was pointless to go back until I get the rear suspension done.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ya and honestly I rarely ever go, so im trying to decide if its even worth it to stick the money into it to make it go faster in a straight line, or just make the car more enjoyable for everyday driving for me. I think that's probably what im going to do. Although I would like to at least break into the 12's once and I would be happy.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
Apprentice

I would recommend a short shifter. It's a cheap fix and I really enjoy my car now that I have the steeda tri ax. You put down a good time considering you missed a gear. That car has 12s in it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well I didn't miss a gear on that 13.3 pass, I missed it on the other two passes though. Im getting ready to order me an MGW here this afternoon if they are in stock.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
The really weird thing that I dont have a clue about and had me super pissed off was I missed 4th gear twice, its like the car would not go into 4th.

I have never had my car to the track, but I have had the same problem - usually getting on the highway.

It is not necessarily under WOT either. It can simply be trying to pick up speed to merge in, and it does not want to go into 4th. It is a bit disconcerting when you merge in front of someone - but can't accelerate after that.

It is not a consistent problem - just something that occurs from time to time.

2012 GT M6 White 300A
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
It is not necessarily under WOT either. It can simply be trying to pick up speed to merge in, and it does not want to go into 4th. It is a bit disconcerting when you merge in front of someone - but can't accelerate after that.

It is not a consistent problem - just something that occurs from time to time.
Well its good to know that its not only me. I wonder if it has something to do with that skip shift thing that setup on our cars. Like if we are at a certain RPM it wont let us go into 4th, but wants us to put it into 5th instead. Honestly I don't know. I was able to grab 4th gear once though out of my 3 runs.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
Well I didn't miss a gear on that 13.3 pass, I missed it on the other two passes though. Im getting ready to order me an MGW here this afternoon if they are in stock.
If MGW doesn't t have a shifter in stock, order one anyway - it's worth it!

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrbrBlu View Post
If MGW doesn't t have a shifter in stock, order one anyway - it's worth it!
Agreed
After it's in there you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Took mine to the drag strip with the MGW and it performed flawlessly.

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Unless I was misinformed or something has changed, the 5.0 manuals also use the MT-82. This being the case (and it's gonna sound weird), you gotta "sweet shift" the manual. If you try to plow through the gears, it will fight you every step of the way. Get out there and practice some rapid WOT shifting when you can, especially 4th. Once you get the feel for it, you'll understand what I mean. I used to fight 2nd through turns and 3rd and 5th all the time on the straights, but I eventually learned the "feel" of what the car "expected," and now I no longer have those issues. A new shifter, shift bracket, and maybe some other components like stiffer engine and transmission mounts should help, but for now, just get out there and acquire a better feel for what your car "wants" at WOT. I wish I could explain it more clearly, but it's something you just need to get out there and do. I recommend trying easy (but rapid) shifting followed by trying to jam it in (clutch fully engaged), to see what I mean. Only once or twice. Don't kill it, though. Wish I could be more help.

Even so, you did pretty good considering what happened on your first time out. I've seen 5.0 owners hit high 13 and low 14 second runs because of laying into it too hard with factory tires. You did alright!
Rookie

There is a video out there on the net somewhere(tried to find it) that shows proper hand position for shifting. It helped me a whole lot, and one thing it taught me was that your hand should never be wrapped around the shifter.

When I first got my car I would try to force it onto every gear and missed third quite a bit as I would push it over to fifth. It's really about finesse and I haven't had a bad shift under heavy acceleration in a long time.

Does anyone know what video I'm speaking of? I could have swore it was posted on the forums a while back.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, I got really frustrated by the wheel spin in my 4.6 the first and only time I took it to the drag strip, haven't been back since. Would like to try it again someday, but need to avoid that "tire slime" thing. I can only imagine that it would be a lot worse with 100 more HP.

I have no problem with missing 4th, though 3rd can be a bit of a challenge . . . but I have a completely different transmission, so what do I know.

I have shifted my attention to road track ; this sounds like a lot more fun and a more rounded driving experience. The only problem is, road tracks are few and far between . . . . but a new one just opened up about 10 minutes from my house! I have a feeling this is going to get expensive . . . . Auto-cross is more common so might be a good alternative.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Autocross is usually heap big affordable.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The MGW's wont be available until the end of next week, but I ordered mine this morning anyway.

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

SHELBY GT 350 Member

At least you have baseline numbers to start with. Tire & suspension upgrades are critical! (I'm fond of M/T & UPR) Also, in my experience, a bog is better than tirespin on the launch.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page