New(er)TSB for rear axle vent leak?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
New(er)TSB for rear axle vent leak??

I thought I recently read that there is a new tsb for the rear axle vent leak but I can't find it now (not that bulb looking thing). I think it's a rubber line that goes from the vent on the axle tube to the diff.

While looking under my car today (I have 2500 miles), I see that I have the leak just as my '12 did. Has anyone had this new tsb performed and did it work? I remember that my old one leaked after the older bulb type looking thing tsb was performed.

I'm gonna bring it in in about three weeks when I get home from a trip and would like to know what I'm talking about when I do. I know it's normal for the most part but I don't want gear oil all over my axle tube and diff and I don't want to risk running low on gear oil. I did see on the older tsb that if the diff is not dripping, they are instructed to not proceed. Mine is not dripping.

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
Rookie

I saw on another forum that Ford's "new" solution to the leaky axle vent is P/N: DR3Z-4022-A KIT HOSE ASSY

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Clyman View Post
I saw on another forum that Ford's "new" solution to the leaky axle vent is P/N: DR3Z-4022-A KIT HOSE ASSY

That is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks!

I guess I would just worry about how close it gets to the exhaust.

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014
Banned

Not the cheapest but the best solution to this problem, IMO, is to get a finned diff cover (Boss 302, Ford Racing, etc) and move the vent cap to the cover. Plug hole in axle and your done.

I think most of the aftermarket covers have a boss drilled and tapped in them for a vent.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Not the cheapest but the best solution to this problem, IMO, is to get a finned diff cover (Boss 302, Ford Racing, etc) and move the vent cap to the cover. Plug hole in axle and your done.

I think most of the aftermarket covers have a boss drilled and tapped in them for a vent.
This is what I did but of course I did it initially because I wanted the aluminum finned cover. At first I didn't have the vent in the diff cover but after it started leaking on the axle tube, I moved it to the top of the cover and used a plug in the axle tube. So far no more leaks.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage

I guess I'll add the diff cover to my list of future mods, and an inexpensive one at that for $144.95. Thanks guys!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014
Apprentice

I tried the new part. I tore off in one track day due to my car being lowered. The exhaust just saws away at the rubber tube until it splits. I've just gone back to the old style vent and top off my diff after track weekends. Also, if you buy a vent get an extra just in case.

2013 GT Track Pack, Airaid CAI, BBK Throttle Body, Magnaflow Competition Catbacks, Eibach Pro Street S, Whiteline Watts Link, Trucarbon Spoiler, Ford Racing Short Shifter, Hotchkis Sub Frame and K Member Brace, Boss Brake Cooling Ducts, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, Hawk Race Pads, Shelby Rear Strut Tower Brace, Steeda X Brace, Rear Seat Delete, Stillen Splitter, BAMA Tune.
2012 V6
2006 V6
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON ANYBODY SHOULD HAVE TO PAY MORE THAN $100 FOR THAT COVER.

You can order that finned differential cover from Tousley or Levittown for less than $60. It is the exact same cover that comes on the Boss 302 and Track Pack cars and sold under the Ford Racing brand for at least twice that much, if not more. Mine came with the magnetic fill and drain plugs in it.

It's a bit tricky to filter down to it but you want piece 7 and the listed price is $58.43.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....pair-parts.php

Any time I find a Ford Racing part I might be interested in for my car I always try to see if I can get it cheaper using the OEM repair sites. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper, sometimes it's not. But there are some steals out there if you can find them. This is one of them.

As mentioned, there is a spot on the top of the cover for the axle vent. Just plug the axle tube and move the vent to the top of the cover and it's a done deal.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOSKER View Post
I tried the new part. I tore off in one track day due to my car being lowered. The exhaust just saws away at the rubber tube until it splits. I've just gone back to the old style vent and top off my diff after track weekends. Also, if you buy a vent get an extra just in case.

Well, so much for that. Haha

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON ANYBODY SHOULD HAVE TO PAY MORE THAN $100 FOR THAT COVER.

You can order that finned differential cover from Tousley or Levittown for less than $60. It is the exact same cover that comes on the Boss 302 and Track Pack cars and sold under the Ford Racing brand for at least twice that much, if not more. Mine came with the magnetic fill and drain plugs in it.

It's a bit tricky to filter down to it but you want piece 7 and the listed price is $58.43.

Any time I find a Ford Racing part I might be interested in for my car I always try to see if I can get it cheaper using the OEM repair sites. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper, sometimes it's not. But there are some steals out there if you can find them. This is one of them.

As mentioned, there is a spot on the top of the cover for the axle vent. Just plug the axle tube and move the vent to the top of the cover and it's a done deal.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm glad I didn't order it for $145!! The link doesn't take me to any parts, so I'm gonna click around and see if I can find it.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage

Quote:

It would be part #2, for the Boss or GT500 in this screenshot, right? I don't think having the ford racing logo is worth an extra $90 for this part. Haha

BOSS Member

Garage
Looks like it. I filtered down through to a slightly different diagram under a 2013 Boss 302 and it was piece 7.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Looks like it. I filtered down through to a slightly different diagram under a 2013 Boss 302 and it was piece 7.

Cool. What would I plug the axle tube with? And from your earlier post, would I be correct in assuming the vent hole is just capped in the boss cover rather than me having to drill the hole out?

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daustin View Post
Cool. What would I plug the axle tube with? And from your earlier post, would I be correct in assuming the vent hole is just capped in the boss cover rather than me having to drill the hole out?
No drilling required. Just remove the vent from the axle tube and install it in the top of the cover.

Plugging the old vent hole in the axle is kind of up to you. It is not pipe threaded so I just took the vent with me to a parts store and found a brass fitting with the same thread on one end and a female 1/8" pipe thread. I put thread sealer on the fitting and screwed into the axle tube then put thread sealer on the 1/8" pipe plug and screwed it into the fitting. That's all I was able to come up with, you might find something different that works for you.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
No drilling required. Just remove the vent from the axle tube and install it in the top of the cover.

Plugging the old vent hole in the axle is kind of up to you. It is not pipe threaded so I just took the vent with me to a parts store and found a brass fitting with the same thread on one end and a female 1/8" pipe thread. I put thread sealer on the fitting and screwed into the axle tube then put thread sealer on the 1/8" pipe plug and screwed it into the fitting. That's all I was able to come up with, you might find something different that works for you.

Easy enough. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page