Remember to change your cabin air filter - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
Does k&n make a washable one, cant see the value of having to change it every 10k miles. If they don't guess i better stock up!
K&N is all about performance and creating a better air-flow. I'm not sure that's something you want with your Cabin air filter lol

...High performance air conditioning...lol

Nick C.

HID and LED Lighting For Your Mustang
Visit diodedynamics.com To See Products!
(314) 205-3033
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Technically the manual calls for the filter to be inspected every 10,000 miles, coinciding with the recommended engine servicing, and replaced at 20,000 mile intervals (if not replaced sooner). I only drive about 7500 miles a year so I changed mine at 18 months; it was just faintly soiled and could have gone longer.

It'll be due again in the fall. As cheap as the filters are, and as bad as the pollen is around here, I think I'll start replacing it annually. If I'm going to go to the trouble to pull the thing out to inspect it, I'd just as soon slide in a new one.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
GT Member

Damn, I'm at 30K and have yet to do this. Running to Autozone after work.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ

Apprentice

American cars are finally stealing this idea from the Japanese cars. My 2000 Honda Accord daily driver (U.S. model), and a 1999 Mazda Premacy I had in Japan both had cabin filters. No way did my 1986 5.0 liter Fox body have it.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post
American cars are finally stealing this idea from the Japanese cars. My 2000 Honda Accord daily driver (U.S. model), and a 1999 Mazda Premacy I had in Japan both had cabin filters. No way did my 1986 5.0 liter Fox body have it.
Big difference in car development from year 1986 to year 1999. No stealing going on. Jap cars are tin cans. Do you have a tomato can exhaust tip on your 2000 accord? I hear those pipes add 100 hp to your 100 hp accord! Not......

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
Banned

conversation ~40 years from now ...

guy #1: "Heh man, I'm restoring this old 2013 GT."

guy #2: "Cool!"

guy #1: "Yeah, but I need this 'cabin filter' thing that no one makes anymore. Need to find one to make the car 100%."

guy #2: "Bummer. Doesn't American Muscle make a repop?"

guy #1: "Yeah, but they go for $1,000. I'm already spending big $$ for an OEM shifter, seems back in the day most people replaced them with aftermarket units."

guy #2: "Word".

guy #1: I guess they didn't know how to shift a manual transmission."

guy #2: HaHaHa! Umm, what's a manual transmission?

guy #1: "Forget it. So, where's the nearest junk yard?"

SHELBY GT 350 Member

I knew I saved my OEM shifter for a reason: future collectable.

It even has the original zip ties!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX View Post
Here's what mine looked like after only 10,000 miles.

Is it bad that coming from a SRT-8 until 2012 no SRT's or Dodge\Chrysler products had these? Good thing I always have my windows down lol
PONY Member

As a word of caution to everyone, when swapping out the cabin filter and re-installing the plastic cowl, make sure all the tabs line up correctly. When I re-installed mine, one tab was slightly raised and when I discovered it about 5k miles later, it had creased the cowl enough to put a small gap between my cowl and windshield, which now howls loudly at 80+ mph. So annoying, and such a boneheaded thing to mess up.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT MT82 - 401A, Brembos, 3.73s, Reverse Sensors/Security System, GT500 Axle Backs, Raxiom Projectors with 5k HIDs, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni STR.Ts, Ford Racing Strut Mounts, Eibach Camber Bolts, BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s 275/35/19

Awaiting Install: JHR Shifter Bracket
Apprentice

FYI, if you have the MMD hood struts be prepared to remove the passenger side strut and the bracket that's attached to the fender. The plastic piece covering the filter wont clear the bracket.

Turns a five minute job into a 10-15 minute job.

2018 GT Base | Black | Auto | Roush Phase 1 Supercharger | Roush Triple Adjustable Coilovers | Forgestar 19X10, 19X11 wheels
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I have a 2011 Mustang GT with 14.000 miles on it, I have Redline hood struts and I changed my filter out today, took 5 mins had no problems getting it changed, but it was really dirty,changed my engine air filter at the same time that one wasn"t to bad.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjohn11 View Post
FYI, if you have the MMD hood struts be prepared to remove the passenger side strut and the bracket that's attached to the fender. The plastic piece covering the filter wont clear the bracket.

Turns a five minute job into a 10-15 minute job.
Good information, and maybe something we should all remember to mention whenever someone asks about struts. Like 5.0 Coyote my car has Redlines on it, and I don't have to do this. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, of course, but something to consider when choosing a brand of struts.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
GT Member
V6 Member

Another caveat to add to this topic: make sure the cowl is fastened securely and that the crappy plastic cowl screw type fasteners are tight. If not the whole cowl can vibrate annoyingly at speeds over 65 mph. It was a b*tch figuring out what that hell that sound was. I ended up replacing the OEM Ford parts. They were junk.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekStangGT View Post
As a word of caution to everyone, when swapping out the cabin filter and re-installing the plastic cowl, make sure all the tabs line up correctly. When I re-installed mine, one tab was slightly raised and when I discovered it about 5k miles later, it had creased the cowl enough to put a small gap between my cowl and windshield, which now howls loudly at 80+ mph. So annoying, and such a boneheaded thing to mess up.
I just replaced my filter the other day. I lined everything up but still have a very annoying wind noise at highway speed. I am going to see if new clips will help

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Manual, Black, C&L Racer Intake w/ Bama Perf tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page