Road noise!!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Road noise!!!!

I have my 13 GT and love it. And the car noise or road noise has not bothered me till lately. Went on a trip to Solvang Ca for 4 days with a lot of driving to different Vineyards with my wife and the roads are really bad around there. Not bumpy but asphalt that has lost the black top exposing the imbedded Gravel. So, the noise level was reaLLY BAD. We had a really tough time hearing each other talk. I'M GOIND TO ATTEMPT TO QUIET THE BEAST A BIT.
Doing a lot of research and I will start with the wheel wells then the trunk then the rest of te interior flooring.
Will use a product called Silent Running SR-Car. It is a spray on deadener (or brush on). Looked at tons of products and they are all too expensive to me.
Anyone else tried this yet?
Advise would be great.

Ordered: 9-5-2012, Vin on 9-27-12
Window Sticker 10-8-12, Build Date 10-15-12
1ST ETA: 10-29 2ND ETA: 11/3
3RD ETA: 10-29
Delivery taken on Monday 10-29-2012

2013 GT Premium Mustang, Auto, Race Red, Brick Red Interior, Comfort, Brembo, Pedestal Spoiler, Shaker Pro, Side Scoops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014
GT Member

Hear is your answer:

Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

How many miles do you have on your tires,I have P Zeros on my GT and the more tire wear, the louder my Mustang becomes,I have 14000 miles on my 2011,and I can notice the noise is getting much louder,add that to my Pypes A/B and it is LOUD inside the cabin,just a thought!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
I've seen this stuff used, and it works well, but it is expen$ive! Back in the "old" days, we used a brush on undercoating. It was like brushing on tar, and got in your hair and on your skin and stayed there till it finally wore off. But it worked, and it's still available. Let's see, I did a '61 Galaxy, 2 '68 Mustang GT's, and a '73 Ranchero that way, and they were super quiet after I was done. Messy, but good stuff. And it was cheap.

I've used the spray on undercoating they sell at AZone and the like, and never been impressed with the performance.

Let us know which way you decide to go and the overall experience. We would love to hear/see how it comes out.

Best of luck!

2005 V6 Convertible
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
PONY Member

Coating materials complicate body work should your car need collision repair. Consider the glue-on sheet materials to reduce noise and heat transfer.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I used the kits from quiet ride. Pre-cut and lightweight.
LEXiiON

2010 Mustang GT Premium Red Candy
3.55 Gears - 3dcarbon GT500 Wing - H&R OE Sport Springs, Koni FSD Shocks and Struts, GT500 LCA's, Edelbrock adj. Panhard bar, Brembo brakes front, 2013 GT500 rear brakes, FRPP X-pipe, 2013 GT500 exhaust, SVTPP Wheels with polished spokes, Polk Audio speakers, Redline Hood lifts, GT500 seat covers, 2013 HIDs, 2013 GT500 Rear, Roush TVS2300 SC Brenspeed 560R
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXiiON View Post
I used the kits from quiet ride. Pre-cut and lightweight.
LEXiiON
How much did you end up spending and what were your results?

Guitarman

Ordered: 9-5-2012, Vin on 9-27-12
Window Sticker 10-8-12, Build Date 10-15-12
1ST ETA: 10-29 2ND ETA: 11/3
3RD ETA: 10-29
Delivery taken on Monday 10-29-2012

2013 GT Premium Mustang, Auto, Race Red, Brick Red Interior, Comfort, Brembo, Pedestal Spoiler, Shaker Pro, Side Scoops
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
I have my 13 GT and love it. And the car noise or road noise has not bothered me till lately. Went on a trip to Solvang Ca for 4 days with a lot of driving to different Vineyards with my wife and the roads are really bad around there. Not bumpy but asphalt that has lost the black top exposing the imbedded Gravel. So, the noise level was reaLLY BAD. We had a really tough time hearing each other talk. I'M GOIND TO ATTEMPT TO QUIET THE BEAST A BIT.
Doing a lot of research and I will start with the wheel wells then the trunk then the rest of te interior flooring.
Will use a product called Silent Running SR-Car. It is a spray on deadener (or brush on). Looked at tons of products and they are all too expensive to me.
Anyone else tried this yet?
Advise would be great.
You could always rip out the carpet and dynamat it (sound deaden) like I did on my Toyota. Rubberized coating is what it is, but absorb more and is stick on rather than spray and is far thicker.

The Challenger without a doubt has SERIOUS sound deadning vs the Mustang, I mean with a 12" w\ 1000W RMS and a 10 inch w\ 500w the trunk\exterior barely flexes, and you hear no road noise. Mustang is a tad louder, but I like it that way, never had noisy tires and I like a loud exhaust.

You can't beat dynamat though, but rubberized coating is pretty much what it is, but if it's road noise I'd honestly pull out the floor carpet (take out the seats) and just put sound deadner there and it'll be as quiet as a Mercedes when cruising. Not hard to take out the seats\carpet of these cars, and after you apply that stuff, yeah, it'll be SUPER quiet. If you do the roof, whenever it rains you won't get that "tin-can" noise.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Xtreme/dp/B00020CB2S/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1404240203&sr=1-1&keywords=dynamat Spray on will work, just not as well. It's not as "DENSE"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page