thinking of switching to 5.0. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

300 for insurance for a 6 wtf ? Lol

Current
12 5.0 white A6 stormtrooper 18x9 18x10 amrs borla s types tru fiber 3in cowl , gt500 spoiler, mmd louvers now to performance and suspension
11 5.0 black on black 6mt comfort package , bama tune, airraid cai, elenor scoops, side scoops, gt500 wing, speeddawgs shift knob gb. Vortech blow - sold
2005 V6 grabber blue , elenor hood wing scoops , foose rims 18x9 18x10 , Bama tuned, dual exhaust. Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

I have 14 5.o with 700 miles. I average 12.5-15 city and around 20 highway. This current tank of gas is 80% highway and im only average 20.4 mpg on tank of gas and thats driving easy and 70 mph or less.

I will say im not the best person to ask. I have 02 lancer oz thats rated 27-32 and I rarely hit anything over 25, in that car redline 1+2

PONY Member

If you use the power of the V8 your mileage will be worse. If you drive a V8 slow to save fuel theres no point in having it. I say wait one year and see if you need more power. Do you have 10% ethanol gas like in Illinois? If so it's challenging to hit EPA numbers unless you are a very efficient driver (lots of coasting, little braking, easy acceleration) as pure gas gives better mileage. If you decide to get the V8 be sure to drive it first. Everytime I go to Michigan I see State Troopers all over, do they only pull over out of staters? I wouldn't even floor my Nissan Versa in that state.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Actually the 3.73s are the worst gears for fuel economy. If you have 3.15s in the automatic they should be even better.
This is not totally true... for highway driving yes but anywhere that you can drive 60 mph or less they are good because you can get into 6th gear sooner. Where I live I average 21 mpg with 3.73s.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeemjvasser View Post
Yeah so I just bought my 13 v6 in april. Totally stock then, now have tuned length shorty headers (which are awsome by the way) and steedas ultimate induction package. Car sounds amazing and feel even better. But. Still feel like I need more power. As an old friend use to say "you can buy a donkey, clip the ears whip it in shape and dye its fur to look like a horse , but its still a donkey"
So now next year im thinking of trading up to a 13 gt.

Only worries are.
1 my city mpg in the v6 is rated at 18 and I never see those numbers unless on the highway.and thats not with spirited driving either… So how low wohld I see with a gt only being rated at 15.

2 im 24 I wonder how much of an increase of my insurance would it be with me already paying 300 for the 6.
I'm in Detroit my insurance is 125 w\ multicar discount 140 w\ out. Your insurance will drop once you turn 25. I have a 2012 Automatic GT that gets 18-19 mpg city and I drive it hard, only mod is roush AB's. Your headers might be killing your gas milage or maybe the tune. I didn't buy my GT for the gas mileage I bought it cause I wanna drive fast and i could afford it, if you are sure you can afford get one its great! Ladies love em! but I'm so impressed with my mpg, my 02 Taurus gets 18mpg just like me GT.
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
OP. I drive both.

Statements like V8's burn more fuel than V6's are inaccurate. There is not enough difference in REAL world fuel mileage to right home about, especially in stop and go city driving when the smaller motor has to pull the same weight vehicle. The factory advertise mileage numbers are a joke.
And as for insurance, the difference for mine is about 50 dollars per year. Yes the GT is about 50 dollars more, but it is also valued at about 10,000 more than the V6 car.

You are so right about the donkey statement. True enough the 3.7
V6 is a great motor. I like mine. But a 5.0 V8 it is not, and never will be. Anyone who believes differently is misinformed.

So,IMO if performance is your main objective, you will be much happier with a V8 GT.

Good luck with decision.
I should be able to pull off a gt. Gas 8 sure ill be fine. My thing is finding out how much more will be leaving my pockets than what already is. Sinc3 I hwv3 q 13 I want a 13 or 14. If I just ride it out for a year im sure next year the prices will be a lil lower being that the 15 is dropping this year.

Steeda tune, Steeda ultimate induction cold air intake, BBK tuned length shorty headers, Idatalink maestro.
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit5.0 View Post
I'm in Detroit my insurance is 125 w\ multicar discount 140 w\ out. Your insurance will drop once you turn 25. I have a 2012 Automatic GT that gets 18-19 mpg city and I drive it hard, only mod is roush AB's. Your headers might be killing your gas milage or maybe the tune. I didn't buy my GT for the gas mileage I bought it cause I wanna drive fast and i could afford it, if you are sure you can afford get one its great! Ladies love em! but I'm so impressed with my mpg, my 02 Taurus gets 18mpg just like me GT.
I cant wait until my insurance gets that low lol wow

Steeda tune, Steeda ultimate induction cold air intake, BBK tuned length shorty headers, Idatalink maestro.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I should be able to pull off a gt. Gas 8 sure ill be fine. My thing is finding out how much more will be leaving my pockets than what already is. Sinc3 I hwv3 q 13 I want a 13 or 14. If I just ride it out for a year im sure next year the prices will be a lil lower being that the 15 is dropping this year.
You only live once. A few more dollars out your pockets for a GT will be well worth the cost.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Rookie

I am 25, live in metro Detroit as well, and recently bought a 5.0. I was also concerned about fuel economy because I planned on daily driving it. I understood that it's a performance car, but I didn't want to be getting 12 mpg. I traded in my 1999 Corvette which was not a full daily driver (2005 Civic was). I average about 17 on my commute down M59/Hall Road...heavy traffic. Ride does not suffer anymore because of Michigan potholes. I felt like my Civic was more prone to damage than both my previous Vette or the Mustang.

Can't speak for insurance. Much like your gas mileage, that'll depend on your driving habits. At 25 with no tickets, I'm paying 140 a month on the 5.0.

If you have the financial means to do it, why not? It's true, my Mustang is rolling through traffic 90 percent of the time, but even the sound of the GT500 ABs make me smile and makes my commute home from work that much better. And for the 10 percent of open road...well...

2014 Ingot Silver GT 5.0 w/M6
GT500 Axlebacks
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1120 View Post
This is not totally true... for highway driving yes but anywhere that you can drive 60 mph or less they are good because you can get into 6th gear sooner. Where I live I average 21 mpg with 3.73s.
Guess it depends on the speed limit. Where I live the limit is mostly 60 km/h (37 mph). When I am in fifth at that speed I am over 2000 RPM. However, when I shift into 6th I lug the engine. So I spend most of my time in 5th at ~2000 RPM. Not the most efficient way to drive but there is no other way with the 3.73s. 70 km/h seems like the sweet spot in terms of fuel economy for this car with the 3.73s.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpete View Post
Everytime I go to Michigan I see State Troopers all over, do they only pull over out of staters? I wouldn't even floor my Nissan Versa in that state.
They're looking for Ohio drivers.

2014 Ingot Silver GT 5.0 w/M6
GT500 Axlebacks
PONY Member

This is purely a financial decision, IMO. You're trading in a fairly new car for another fairly new car. Will you owe more than you'll get if you trade in the V6 for another car? If you have to roll ANY negative equity into the GT, then DO NOT TRADE THE CAR IN.

Insurance. Are you paying $300/mo or 300 every 6 months? If you're paying $300/mo on a V6 mustang, a mustang GT won't be much if any better. Personally, I wouldn't pay $300/mo on insurance for a GT500 much less a V6 mustang or mustang GT. I would start by looking into other insurance options or even something less expensive to insure. Unless you've got a horrible driving record, when you turn 25, your insurance should go down, so you might want to wait on switching to what will likely be a more expensive mustang GT until then.

I have a '12 GT with the 3.55 rear end and hover around 20 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving. I don't drive like a clown 90% of the time. If I drive ONLY on the highway, I'd be closer to 25 mpg, but I find that these cars are VERY sensitive to throttle input. This is just another reason why you need to make sure that all of the other financial aspects of this potential switch are in line. If you can get your insurance down to $150/mo, for example, then any increase in fuel prices you might see with the GT won't be as big of a deal.
PONY Member

Quote:
My v6 is about 19000, with interest 26000 so im already payin 350 on top of 300 for insurance
OP,

Im going to give you some advice learned from being nearly a decade older than you. You can choose to ignore it, take insult from it, or whatever, but I promise you its well meaning input that I would tell me own son if he presented to me the facts you laid out above.

If you're obligated for $26K on a 2 year old V6 mustang and considering trading it in, you are so underwater the edealer is going to slide it in so deep and rough that you wont walk right for a week after. You are going to have $10K in negative equity before you even start talking about the new car. You do this switch and you're easily going to be $45k in debt when you roll out of the showroom. Now I dont know what you do for a living or who you are but I do know the average 24 year old in Michigan makes thless than that as a annual median income.

Also what is the length of your current loan that you are only paying $350 a month? Did you get a 72 or 84 month loan?

My honest take is that you are making financially irresponsible decisions.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
PONY Member

Just trade in your car for a fully loaded 11GT. Should be just about an even trade.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
OP,

If you're obligated for $26K on a 2 year old V6 mustang and considering trading it in, you are so underwater the edealer is going to slide it in so deep
While I completely agree with your underlying message, I think the OP is saying that if he pays his note on time every month and doesn't pay ahead of schedule, he will end up paying $26k which includes the interest fee. Of course, if he pays the car off tomorrow, for example, he will not have paid $26k for the car (including the interest he has already paid).

So the question is, how much does he owe on the car vs how much he'll get for a trade-in. If the car is only worth, say, $11k on trade, but he's only gotten the principle down to $15k, then buying ANYTHING, will be a huge mistake.

I didn't put this in my initial response, but let me also add that in addition to finding a way to reduce insurance, the OP should also look into refinancing his loan. I did that several years ago and my payment dropped from $360/mo to $300/mo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page