thinking of switching to 5.0. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

thinking of switching to 5.0.

Yeah so I just bought my 13 v6 in april. Totally stock then, now have tuned length shorty headers (which are awsome by the way) and steedas ultimate induction package. Car sounds amazing and feel even better. But. Still feel like I need more power. As an old friend use to say "you can buy a donkey, clip the ears whip it in shape and dye its fur to look like a horse , but its still a donkey"
So now next year im thinking of trading up to a 13 gt.

Only worries are.
1 my city mpg in the v6 is rated at 18 and I never see those numbers unless on the highway.and thats not with spirited driving either… So how low wohld I see with a gt only being rated at 15.

2 im 24 I wonder how much of an increase of my insurance would it be with me already paying 300 for the 6.

Steeda tune, Steeda ultimate induction cold air intake, BBK tuned length shorty headers, Idatalink maestro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
MACH I Member

My insurance went down when I bought my GT. I average 18 MPG mostly city.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
My insurance went down when I bought my GT. I average 18 MPG mostly city.
Maybe its your gewrs or something. This is rediculous. I met a guy at my job the other week who says h3 averages 18 in his also.

Steeda tune, Steeda ultimate induction cold air intake, BBK tuned length shorty headers, Idatalink maestro.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
PONY Member

The Coyote will put a smile on your face that the V6 cannot. As for gas mileage, I get 20-22 MPG around town in the suburbs of Long Island, and I get 26 - 28 MPG on the highway. I usually run 87 Octane, and the BAMA 87S custom tune in my GT improved the gas mileage by about 2 MPG on the highway.

Once you drive a 5.0, there is no going back to anything less!

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Im only hearing high mpg from manual owners. I want an auto.

post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
Rookie

Smile 5.0 Auto Mileage

I have had a 2011 5.0 GT coupe, a 2011 V6 convertible and a 2013 5.0 GT Convertible and they have all been Auto's.
The 2011 GT gave me overall 24.5mpg (50/50 mix of city and highway), V6 was 22.2mpg and the 2013 GT was 23.4mpg.
The GT convertibles give about a 1mpg less because of the extra weight. I drive very hard 25 % of the time and more normal the rest. I keep very good track of fuel economy.
Fun factor of the 5.0 with better gas mileage compared to the V6 - what are you waiting for ?
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjima View Post
I have had a 2011 5.0 GT coupe, a 2011 V6 convertible and a 2013 5.0 GT Convertible and they have all been Auto's.
The 2011 GT gave me overall 24.5mpg (50/50 mix of city and highway), V6 was 22.2mpg and the 2013 GT was 23.4mpg.
The GT convertibles give about a 1mpg less because of the extra weight. I drive very hard 25 % of the time and more normal the rest. I keep very good track of fuel economy.
Fun factor of the 5.0 with better gas mileage compared to the V6 - what are you waiting for ?
Lol well im waiting for monday to see whats the process of trading in a car. Thengoing from there.

post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
Apprentice

I have 3.55 gears and a manual 5.0. I get 26+ mpg on the highway and 18-20mpg in the city. I use 93 octane Shell gas.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
PONY Member

A 5.0 with an automatic transmission and a BAMA tune will impress you, and I would expect the gas mileage to be about 2 MPG less than the 6-speed MT82 car with the same tune. However, gas mileage is a function of YOU!

I will say that a custom tune is much more noticeable in an automatic car, especially throttle response, low end and mid-range torque.

I do not want to offend anyone, but in my opinion there is little advantage to an Eco-Boost 4 and a V6 in a Pony / Muscle car because the power of the 5.0 is so much more fun to experience at a small increase in price. I note that V6 owners spend a lot of money to enhance the power of their Mustangs, so start with the 5.0 and save some money. You get more than a 100 HP and gobs more torque with the Coyote at a relatively small increase in loan payment. No V6 performance add-ons can match the cost per HP of the Coyote over the V6!

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
Rookie

Just for clarity my mileage quoted above is with regular octane fuel, I tried Premium one time at the insistence of a fellow V6 PP owner, tried it and did not notice any performance improvements in my daily drives and I did not see any improvement in mpg, around here the difference between reg and premium is $0.30 per gallon. I have ordered a 2015 GT Convertible Auto and hope the mileage is as good or better than the current GT's.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My v6 is about 19000, with interest 26000 so im already payin 350 on top of 300 for insurance

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
gas mileage is a function of YOU!
+1...a lead foot will get bad mileage no matter what you drive (other than a prius)

I average 22-24mpg with a procal tune which is great considering. If I was really worried about MPG's, I'd buy a Jetta TDI

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeemjvasser View Post
My v6 is about 19000, with interest 26000 so im already payin 350 on top of 300 for insurance
How much of your income do you want to spend on a car to get chewed up on Michigan roads? I live in Michigan, and my DD is an F150. I, too, love Mustangs but couldn't justify a GT car over my V6 convertible when you can't even safely hammer the throttle around an entrance ramp to the highway in this state. You'll hit one of the 52,000,000 potholes and end up smashing your ride to pieces.

My brother and I are both gearheads, so I get it. Just last week he traded in his paid off, 2009 Porsche Cayman S (with 16,000 miles) on a new F350 Platinum. Why? He got sick of not being able to get his $70,000 toy down a road without fearing he would damage it.

Just my .02. If you want the GT, then you do what's best for you man. But I would be afraid of going 100 on our roads.

2014 Pony Package convertible l Deep Impact Blue on Black l auto (current)

2014 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 l White on Grey l Chrome 20"s l Navigation l Hemi (current daily driver)
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeemjvasser View Post
Maybe its your gewrs or something. This is rediculous. I met a guy at my job the other week who says h3 averages 18 in his also.
Actually the 3.73s are the worst gears for fuel economy. If you have 3.15s in the automatic they should be even better.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. I drive both.

Statements like V8's burn more fuel than V6's are inaccurate. There is not enough difference in REAL world fuel mileage to right home about, especially in stop and go city driving when the smaller motor has to pull the same weight vehicle. The factory advertise mileage numbers are a joke.
And as for insurance, the difference for mine is about 50 dollars per year. Yes the GT is about 50 dollars more, but it is also valued at about 10,000 more than the V6 car.

You are so right about the donkey statement. True enough the 3.7
V6 is a great motor. I like mine. But a 5.0 V8 it is not, and never will be. Anyone who believes differently is misinformed.

So,IMO if performance is your main objective, you will be much happier with a V8 GT.

Good luck with decision.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page