Speed shop in Houston, TX for gear installation? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Speed shop in Houston, TX for gear installation?

This might have already been asked, but anybody here from Houston that knows a good and cheap shop that can install my 3.73 gears? Was gonna do it locally at my place but wasn't able to contact shop other day for appointment.

I'm heading down Tuesday and would like to know if anybody knows a good shop for good price.

My local shop wants $275 plus tax, so if it costs more in Houston then I'll just wait until I get back to do it in my area. My shop already needs the car for two days for the install so I didn't really have time this week.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
PONY Member

I'm subscribing in case you find one. Please share. Looking to swap the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 5.0 - Deep Impact Blue
Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
TWS CCW: 2:03.02
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabongrob View Post
I'm subscribing in case you find one. Please share. Looking to swap the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm planning to call some shops tomorrow for prices. Googled some around the area.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I met up with some people from the Northside Mustang Club yesterday for a cruise. Some of them were saying there was a guy at a Ford dealer that would do this for like $200. I didn't get the particulars since I'm not going to Houston to have gears installed but that might be a place to look for this. Best I've found in Austin so far is $500 and that just seems a bit too high. That was "with a discount" too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014
GT Member

Never been here but ive heard alot of people went there. Home

i went to a place in san antonio called south texas performance. Its a mustang specialy shop

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah looks like Chris's has been recommended before from https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ston-area.html

I'll call them tomorrow, and that Ford may be the same one from that thread!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Looks like Chris' Car Doc will be where I'm taking my mustang to get the gears done. He wants $250 without the bearings, said I didn't need them since I only have 15k miles. $350 if I do want to do the bearing kits. Told me to return the extra lol, honest guy.

Extreme Offroad wanted $450-500 for labor, Bumbera wanted $600 and they're both in Katy, TX which both are less than 10 mins from me but prices are way higher than Chris'

Strictly Performance in Pearland said $650, too far and expensive for me. Plus their reviews are pretty bad.

PSI motorsports and Tommie Vaughn Ford did not answer, tried several calls with no luck.

Hope this helps anyone in the area
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014
Apprentice

Yup I got mine done at chris car doc in humble and they did a great job ! Paid like $500 for parts and install.

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Had it done on July 2nd, dropped it off and got it back 6 hours later. They were able to install it without any of the bearing kits since my car had low mileage. Only extra thing I had to pay was a seal since there was a leak. Total came out to $28x.xx

It's cheaper to go buy your own Royal Purple gear oil, buy 3 bottles from Advance Auto and use one of their coupons to make it cheap. Although Chris' $20 per bottle is still cheap if you decide to buy from them.

MPG dropped quite a bit, from 29-30 to 25-26 on the interstate. Averaged close to 26 driving to Houston to MS and 25.x from MS to AR past week.

Just had the lower control arm installed yesterday. Gonna drive the car more this week to see. NYC will be a fun moving trip next week.
Rookie

glad I found this

My dealer in conroe wanted 1100.00 for the axle swap and told me it would void the powertrain warranty

Could I get the name of the person at chris car doc you talked to about the axle swap

Did it make a difference in the car?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudness View Post
glad I found this

My dealer in conroe wanted 1100.00 for the axle swap and told me it would void the powertrain warranty

Could I get the name of the person at chris car doc you talked to about the axle swap

Did it make a difference in the car?
I talked to Chris and Shawn there, they both said the exact same.

I'm slowly testing it but yes acceleration has made a huge difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page