So I lowered my 2012 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

So I lowered my 2012

Well, me and a buddy of mine tackled the job of putting the SR springs and the SR adj panhard bar on my car and wow it took a little bit of time. Putting the springs on on the front wasnt any fun. Neither of us have ever put springs on the S197 model before. I had no idea the strut mount was a two peice design (why in the world is that) with ball bearings (which did spill out EVERYWHERE!). Other then that little misshap that's the only issues we had....the rear was simple and the panhard bar was pretty straight forward as well. (man was my rearend pushed off to the side with those springs!) It only took about 45 mins or so to install the PHB and adjust it.

I would deff suggest this mod! The car rides really well lowered its a little stiffer and the rear feels alot more planted. And from just driving the car it doesnt feel like it needs a alignment....

I stoped by a local ford dealer for a comparion shot.....This is about a hour after install and is a comparison of the stock springs (car in red) VS the new SR's (remember the springs havent settled!)

VS.

2012 mustang 3.7 M6 Black/Black/Black
JLT Intake 93R Bama tune Muffler delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014
PONY Member

Didn't it feel odd to see the rear end of the car off center until the panhard bar was adjusted?

In my case, it's the Watts link.

No 4X4 anymore, right?

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Great job, car looks really sharp!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Looks good. I did the same springs and had a similar experience. Only a couple bearings popped out. It was fun though.

2013 GT premium GHIG. 6MT. Black int. Brembos. Corsa Sports. Jlt intake. SR Springs. BMR panhard. Pilot Super Sports
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014
Apprentice

Looks good! Not sure how much you lowered it in the rear? Keep an ear out for any increased noise and vibration. Lowering will change your pinion angle. When I lowered mine.....I had to adjust the pinion angle by 4 degrees. This keeps your driveshaft at the proper angle with the rear end....that way you don't stress the pinion bearing. Also...you might experience more wheel hop...if your lower control arm angle has been changed enough. Just thought I'd share this info. if you hadn't run across this stuff before. The only thing oem on my suspension is half of that strut bearing assembly...with all those wonderful bearing that are just waiting to fly out .

Wayne

2013 PW Boss. Fully adjustable suspension make over, Team Dynamics 18"x10" wheels with 305mm Continental GT-O slicks., MM C/C plates, Koni Yellows, Carbotech XP 12fr / XP 10 r pads, Blowfish Racing brake cooling duct kit, BlowFish Racing MT-82 "Fix" bracket, Airaid PJ CF cai, FRPP 84.5mm TB, FRPP 47 lb injects, O/R X pipe, GT 500 axle backs, MGW shifter, Whiteline tranny bushing, AutoBlip, Tuning by AED
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the comments the car rides a lot more stiff now (which I honestly like) feels more sporty. And the drop is supposed to be 1.5'' all the way around.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014
Rookie

Did you measure to see how much it got lowered? I have the same springs I ended up dropping an inch on both front and back.

2011 Ingot Silver V6 Performance Pkg Pony Pkg Comfort pkg Auto...Bama 91 hybrid, SR lowerings springs, 1 inch eibach rear wheel spacers, AFE cai, smoked taillights, quarter markers, side markers, viynl wrapped roof and decklid, muffler deletes w/4 inch tips, zr4 lazer jammers, smoked headlight covers and plasti dipped wing, wheels, grille, and grille surround. Check out my gallery for some professional pics.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I honestly didnt. Im pretty sure it was about what was advertised. (1.5")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page