Adding turn-downs after the cats = void warranty? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Adding turn-downs after the cats = void warranty?

I did this on my Challenger and never got a single complaint, even with a rear diff (2x) + half shaft + drive shaft replacement, is there any issue of modifying the exhaust after the cat? I was going to do turn-downs like I did on my Challenger, but all these crazy warnings about exhaust mods with Ford scare me quite a bit, and make no sense. After the cats there shouldn't be a single issue. Cat-back = I don't see how they can void any warranty, right?

Just making sure before I do turn-downs! If I got a call saying my cat-back exhaust mod "hurt my car" I'd be furious as hell but naturally, I'd rather avoid the bull sh**, but I'd prefer turn-downs vs the BOSS exhaust, obv this in no way would create a "failure" but I'm trying to avoid the b.s. though I love modifying, and I just want it to be LOUDER. No need for the Boss exhaust when a simple cut & weld 1 inch down pipe on each section will suffice, and when I get it on it the SVT mufflers would sing.

Kinda weird how much I hear about Ford trying to void warranty over cat-back exhausts....so just wanted to double check, as it just seemed silly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014
Apprentice

they have to prove what you did caused the problem.

engine explodes? turn downs didnt cause that.....

gas tank melts cause turn downs aimed directly at it? yea your SOL

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes06 View Post
they have to prove what you did caused the problem.

engine explodes? turn downs didnt cause that.....

gas tank melts cause turn downs aimed directly at it? yea your SOL
Well that makes sense. I orignally wanted side exists and thankfully my buddy realized, oh ****, it would pass over the un-shielded gas tank! So viola, turn downs! (on the Challenger, so I ended up with 1 inch turn downs before the the super 10 mufflers, right after the cats on my 6.1l and 6.4l) Appreciate it, for some reason with Mustangs warranty in my mind has come to not cat-back but "AXLE-back" which to me is just stupid, but I didn't want to have to deal with an issue. Turn downs it is! Can't wait to make the 5.4l sing like she should!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014
PONY Member

WTF are "turn downs"?

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

As I explained in another thread, can Ford void your warranty for any mods that they don`t like? Of course they can. Don`t forget, Ford has an army of lawyers on speed dial, and they have much deeper pockets than the average joe. Even if you are right & win the case in court, Ford (or any mfg) has the bucks to appeal after appeal the decesion until you and your car become antiques. Look up the Ford Pinto case where the company decided that an $11.00 part was too expensive to put on the car that might have saved lives. This is just an example of how far Ford was/is willing to go to save a buck:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...CUMrtks8MmcRag

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Can Ford void a warranty? Not at all - other than for the exceptions listed in the warranty documents themselves such as racing, driving in a war zone, etc. Otherwise, the warranty cannot be voided (in its entirety).

The real question is can Ford refuse to pay for specific repairs under warranty due to owner modifications? Certainly under the law they can refuse to cover repairs of any part that has itself been modified or any part whose failure was caused by a modification. This only makes sense... why should Ford be responsible for fixing something that wasn't their fault?

The grey area is when Ford (or the dealer) claims that a failure was caused by a modification but the owner disagrees. Yes, Ford has lots of lawyers but that might not matter depending on the circumstances. Most claims would be handled in small claims court which has more relaxed standards. No matter how much Ford pays for lawyers, they won't convince a judge that a failure of the power windows was caused by an aftermarket exhaust. Even more closely related parts might still be a hard sell for cause and effect. As mentioned earlier, it would be difficult to prove that an engine failure was the result of exhaust modifications that were street legal (i.e. a cat-back system).

At some point even Ford is going to evaluate the cost of fighting (they have to pay all those lawyers) as well as the potential cost if they lose in court to determine if they will cover a repair under warranty. I think you'll find that they might initially refuse hoping the owner will give up but then give in if a real battle starts.

So, as Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky?"

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, I mean I can understand say if I replaced the HEADERS, but cat-back naturally I assumed no issue, and it seems there won't be one. On the Challenger I had Super 10 mufflers + the turn downs, and to the guy who was asking what turn downs are, they are just small 1.5-2 inch pipes added before the mufflers so that it dumps the exhaust out to give you a much more rumbling exhaust sound, but not as loud as straight pipe, but still, damn loud.

I'd much rather spend 100$ and have my buddy do it than pay 800-1000$ for the Boss exhaust
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Why do you need Turn-Downs on a street car? The performance gain is near negligible. Is your Mustang mainly used as a drag car? If so, than you shouldn't be concerned with warranty at all.

The entire point to full length exhaust is to force the exhaust gases to exit past the passenger compartment. In the Mustang, since the Trunk shares common ventilation to the interior, it's wise to keep the exhaust going all the way back to prevent a slow build-up of harmful carbon monoxide.

In some places it may even be illegal to have exhaust that exits under the car. People can and do die from carbon monoxide poisoning, sometimes from their own and unintentional but tragic end, such as MTV's Buckwild star, Shain Gandee.

While I understand you've done this before, it doesn't mean it was right or safe.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014
Apprentice

Just ask your dealer. That would be my first step. Agreed they would have to make a good case your mod caused any future issue but why not see beforehand how much fighting you might be in for IF a problem came up. And since you can get a 2015 R/T with a 392 Hemi and a shaker you have an awesome fall back plan....

2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey, 6 Speed, 3:55 Gears, Comfort Group, GT500 AB, 3dCarbon Spoiler, JLT CC, Boss 302 Alcantara steering wheel, FRPP TrackCal, FRPP Brembos, FRPP Wheels
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac 27 View Post
Just ask your dealer. That would be my first step. Agreed they would have to make a good case your mod caused any future issue but why not see beforehand how much fighting you might be in for IF a problem came up. And since you can get a 2015 R/T with a 392 Hemi and a shaker you have an awesome fall back plan....
I'm sure it won't be a problem, they would have to crazy to try to void it over a cat-back mod. And nahhh, I like the 6.4l and all, and I'm sure with the new ZF-8 8-speed transmission it is going to be a ROCKET vs that old NAG-1 5-speed. Peak power any time you mash it lol +200ms shifts I think 150ms if you put it in sport mode)

But you know I'd just wait 3-4 years and trade in the Shelby towards the 707HP Hellcat Challenger that someone bought and just garaged, once you get used to the super-charger whine, man I can't imagine not having a super charged car. It's addictive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page