2014 GT advice - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2014 GT advice

Ok so I know that the question has come up a lot on the forum about auto vs manual. I was wondering why there so few automatic GT's on the lots. Is it because most GT buyers are looking for manual shift or that they sold out early. Which do you believe has a better resale value? I was leaning towards a auto but there are very few on the lots. I drove a manual on a test drive and they are very easy to shift. I found it more fun. One other question, with nav or without? any opinions on desirability?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
Apprentice

I think GTs have just classically been associated w manuals. Nothing wrong w modern autos though. Really just a personal preference. You will get a thousand different opinions on this. Mine came with Nav. It's entertaining but I really rarely use it. I just happened to find mine optioned with the color and equipment I wanted (just happened to have Nav) at a killer price. Wouldn't have sought it out otherwise.

Silver 2015 Ecoboost Premium w/ PP
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Generally speaking, fully loaded automatic cars will cost more, and be worth more later, as long as all the 'bells and whistles' still work.
I'm not sure why you're finding more manual cars- the AT cars may very well have sold faster. These days, manual cars are only about 8-10% of all cars sold (not just Mustangs). Driving a stick is becoming a lost art.
With something like a Mustang, I'd buy more based on what you want, rather than what it might be worth later. Any Mustang GT will be worth a lot less than you pay for it in 5-10-20 years.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
GT Member

It could be regional, but I would guess the auto's sold out first. I remember when I started looking, the dealers seemed to have a lot more auto's than manuals. ( I wanted and got a manual) I also have the nav, not by choice but it was on the car when I bought it. Had everything else I wanted at the time, plus the nav. (and if memory serves me, there was an item or two that came only with the nav package that I wanted). Long term desirability of having nav, who knows. Some will want it, for the ease it provides, (have to admit right now it is nice) but I also have my question of, "what the heck do you do with it when it gets out of date and is obsolete?"

IN the end, get what you want, let the resale and desirable options question work itself out once you do go to sell it. Why drive something that isn't quite what you want just so that it might be more desirable at resale time?

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
MACH I Member

I know a person who works for the highest volume Mustang dealership in the country. They say that 80% of the GTs they order to sell on the lot are manual transmission equipped. The exception is convertible cars; 90% of those are automatic. The reverse is true for V6 cars. 80% of the coupes are automatic. They say that they expect enthusiasts to buy the GTs and the more casual buyers to purchase the V6.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
PONY Member

In my area (s. Fla) I would say almost all 2014s left on lots are auto. Got my 2014 gt premium with track pack in color I wanted 3 months ago and was lucky to find one within 50 miles. Like said above, must be regional. Fyi. Traded my 2012 GTauto for a manual. Not that there is anything wrong with autos... just my preference after 4 previous manuals. 2013+ autos are probably more fun as you can select gear.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
PONY Member

When I bought mine they had six GT Autos on the lot, and one manual.

So I looked all over the one optioned the way I wanted to build my car (minus Brembo & Recaro) and then test drove a base GT M6.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
Apprentice

I have a manual transmission as I love the feel of a stick shift car. But, if I used my car to commute in heavy traffic, I would get an automatic. Apparently modern automatics have come a long way since the days of Ford-o-Matics. ;o)
Good luck with your decision.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
Apprentice

Near me 14 of the 22 for sale new are manual with most being GTs but several V6s. When I was buying in December most were autos. I'm not sure one would be better than the other at trade in. Private sale possibly the manual if someone is looking for a fun weekend car but fewer and fewer people drive stick. I agree with those above that you should just get what you want. They sell so many no matter what you get there will be plenty of others for people to chose from you'd have a hard time getting a premium.

I don't think Nav would be a deal breaker for someone buying a used muscle car so I'd only get it if you want it (I didn't but did in my Jeep). If I were ordering I would get the back up camera and Brembos. While the recaros look awesome I'd get the comfort package so you can drive it in the cold (I didn't have it in my Challenger and driving in Oct/Nov before it was put away for winter it was cold and annoying). Best of luck.

2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey, 6 Speed, 3:55 Gears, Comfort Group, GT500 AB, 3dCarbon Spoiler, JLT CC, Boss 302 Alcantara steering wheel, FRPP TrackCal, FRPP Brembos, FRPP Wheels
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushz View Post
I drove a manual on a test drive and they are very easy to shift. I found it more fun.
Looks like you answered your own question on auto vs. manual.

2013 Mustang GT Premium (6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, GT500 axle-backs, no resonators), 1998 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250
PONY Member

It seems the manuals have issues after afew miles are on them. On the other hands the auto. seems to be a very tough transmission by all accounts. So got the auto. and am very happy. Plus a clutch gets old after awhile.
Apprentice

My 13 5.0 was an auto. I tried to convince (lie to) myself that it was o.k. but I just never warmed up to that tranny. I think that though Ford's present automatic is improved over the older ones, it still sucks life out of the car. I am talking about torque. My 5.0 never set me back in the seat like I thought a 420 horse car should. I don't believe for a minute that the one I had was making 390 lb/ft of torque. Sure didn't feel like it. So, I sold the car. On the flip side, both past manual mustangs I had, pulled hard and I loved them both. If I ever get another mustang (and based on my history and love for them I probably will) it will be manual or bust for me.

1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Auto--Gone a long time ago. 1st Stang
1987 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual--Sold
2008 Mustang GT Manual--Sold
2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Auto--Sold
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual--Sold
PONY Member

Had a 13 GT auto for close to a year, and it was a great transmission, but I got bored with it. Maybe not bored, because getting bored with a sub 5 second 0-60 is hard to do, but I just kept wishing it was a stick. The select shift helps, but it's nowhere near the same thing. Once Ford was throwing 7K worth of incentives towards new cars and my dealer found my exact same car with a manual, I made the trade. Haven't regretted it one bit. If you tested the manual and thought it was fun... get it!
Rookie

I bought the only 6 speed 5.0 that 4 different dealers had. There was a choice of about 6 different 5.0 automatics spread throughout those dealers. Personally I dont like autos at all, I get bored and feel like im not involved in driving when its an auto. Last october i bought a 2000 lexus gs400 which was a nice car but because it was an auto I wanted to get rid of it bout a month after purchase. It took a good deal to get me in this mustang.
Apprentice

I live in the Columbus ohio area. Mustang Manuals vs automatics on dealer lots are about 5 to 1.
I remember when the S197 came out - you couldn't find a stick on the lot- were all automatics - has done a complete 180

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page