2012 mustang gt shocks and springs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 mustang gt shocks and springs

I mainly Care about straight line performance and a smooth drive. Looking for the best shocks and struts that will Improve traction and not effect drive to harshly. Any advice thanks

JLT cai, Ken Bjonnes Corn dyno tune, MGW shifter, Bobs LCA, Amsoil 10w30, Amosoil MTG, Michelin SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
PONY Member

Your best bang for the buck is Koni STR.Ts. Check out Tunersports.com - I got my set for $315 shipped last summer. They are not adjustable, but if you combine them with some P-springs or Ebarch Pro-Kit springs, the improvement over stock is night and day. All for ~$500. One of the best bang for the buck improvements for the car.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Idk I've heard konis are more for handling

JLT cai, Ken Bjonnes Corn dyno tune, MGW shifter, Bobs LCA, Amsoil 10w30, Amosoil MTG, Michelin SS

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If your looking for drag shocks then you won't be getting comfort or handling at all. Any shock/strut or spring that is best for launching will not handle worth a damn or offer a very nice ride.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Since you said "straight line" performance, I'll assume that to not include drag racing, but basically the best everyday use shock/strut?

If you are willing to wait a week to make a decision, then by the end of this week, I will have Bilstein's on my car and can provide some feedback as to their ride.

I previously have had Tokico D Specs and Koni Yellow's; the Tokico's are no longer made, and the Koni Yellows were too harsh for daily driving.

There has lots of people talking about and suggesting Koni STR.T's for daily driving duties, while Yellow's are best suited for track use, and I was considering purchasing either them or the Bilstein's. I started looking at prices and availability, but found that the Koni STR.T rear shocks are on national back-order through late August or early September, which means I purchased Bilstein's. I was leaning towards the Bilstein's anyway, as research shows that mono-tube shocks will react to small movements better providing an overall smoother ride.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I was leaning towards tocicko d. I didn't realize they didn't make them anymore. Why did u stop using the tockico

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Straight line performance is what I consider to be something that makes you perform in a straight line which would usually mean 1/4 mile driving. You didn't say all around good handling shocks. In fact you said you were not wanting shocks that were for more for handling. Please clarify what exactly you are intending to change from stock and clarify what you mean by "straight line performance". I really don't know what else you would mean when you say that especially since you don't want shocks for handling which would actually disqualify the Tokico D and Koni yellows from what you previously stated anyway.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I wants shocks and struts that will give better traction for quarter miles and street racing but not change the smoothness of driving dramatically. I mentioned Tockico Ds cuz a lot of people have written good reviews to adjust them for drag racing and street driving

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

The Ford Racing Adjustable or QA1 (single adjustable) are the only shocks left on the market under $1000.00 for a set that allow simultaneously compression/rebound damping from a single dial.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That's what I thought, drag shocks. It looks like you need to find a comparable adjustable shock/strut then. I don't have any experience in drag shocks that are also suitable for street use so maybe someone else will chime in. It's possible someone makes them.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

For straight line performance and a smooth ride, you need Strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts:

11-13 Mustang Strange 10 Way Adjustable Strut S6011LM

05-14 Mustang Strange 10 Way Adjustable Shock S6008LM

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page