New member - MPG Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question New member - MPG Question

Hi,

Just got my 2014 Ruby Red V6 premium w/ pony pkg yesterday.
So far I'm trying to master sync (which may take a little doing), but I have an MPG question,

The miles to empty (when the tank is full) shows about 260+/-, however, the avg mpg is showing about 25 +/-.

Does the miles to empty require a 'break in' period to 'figure out' how the car is driven?

It seems the 260 miles per tank would be low (but I'm coming from a Mazda 3 that averaged 39 mpg).

Thanks

2014 - V6 Premium w/ Pony Pkg ~ Boss 302 Strut Brace ~ Infinity 6832's speakers ~ Bazooka BTA6100 Sub Tube ~ Matte Black Stripes ~ FRPP 18x8.5 Matte Black Bullit Wheels ~ Air Raid CAI ~ MBRP S7242304 Exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase! I would imagine there will be somewhat of a break in period to optimize your mileage.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hello
The mileage computer is not and has never been an exacting instrument to gauge your mileage by. It uses averages and heuristics from sensors and the PCM to give an estimated guess which depending on how you drive can make that guess way off from what it says and it almost always is. I find that it usually is not at all accurate and it can be up to 5 MPG or so off each tank full. The mileage computer starts out very sensitive and then stabilizes as more miles are registered. You can "trick" it by driving very efficiently after resetting it for a while and then driving more aggressive later on and it will actually say you are getting better mileage then are. Or, if you drive aggressively at first and then conservatively later on you will not be able to regain the poor mileage that it says you are getting. This is why it is not an accurate instrument.
Also, you are never actually empty when it says you are. You can go another 25 to 40 miles or so past when the computer says it is empty. The only way to gauge your actual mileage is by resetting the odometer when you fill your tank each time. That will give you an EXACT reading of MPG if you divide your mileage traveled by the amount of gallons pumped. Unless the gas pump shuts off too early(happens sometimes) then you will have an exact result. If you don't fill your tank each time at the gas station then you can't calculate it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
Apprentice

Personally I use an app called Road Trip Lite, in which I input my vehicle mileage and gallons I put in, and it keeps track for me. But I get about 15mpg in my GT, so I'm usually lucky if I get 200 miles per tank.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
SOLD -- 2014 Base GT 6 Speed Manual
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I get 21-23 with mine 26 on all hwy. The majority of folks get about 1-2 more with math than what the computer says. Miles to empty is averaged over the cars last 500 miles...

Also, the Stang has a saddle type tank which is really two tanks and the car leaves 1-2 gallons per side in the real world you can only use 12-14 gallons of the 16. I find on mine the fill light comes on when I need about 12.5 gallons. My mpg is kinda dissapointing but the fun is awesome.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Personally I use an app called Road Trip Lite, in which I input my vehicle mileage and gallons I put in, and it keeps track for me. But I get about 15mpg in my GT, so I'm usually lucky if I get 200 miles per tank.
Holy Gas Gobbler. You know there are positions on the throttle between idle and WOT?

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
Holy Gas Gobbler. You know there are positions on the throttle between idle and WOT?
I tend to be a little heavy on the throttle, but isn't that what a Mustang is for? I only got 18mpg with my 2.3l I4 Mazda CX-7. Maybe as I get used to the Mustang I'll slow down, but I doubt it.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
SOLD -- 2014 Base GT 6 Speed Manual
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
Apprentice

fill up, reset trip odometer, measure when it gets REAL close to the end, like when DTE says 10. THat will give you a good idea of how much your car gets.

I will say, my wife's 2013 Escape, when we got it new, for about the first 2,500 miles barely got over 200 miles per tank, and now, about 10k in, we can get 250-260. Not great, but not the worst.

I get about 220 in my GT, average.. you should be in the 260-300 range I would say with the V6. I will tell you you're gonna be disappointed if you expect ANYWHERE NEAR your mazda.

2012 GT Premium - some mods are on
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Although the miles to empty is never right (and I mean never) the MPG part seems to have gotten more accurate as each new model year comes out.

The trip computer in my 04 F150 was always way off (I reset it and the trip odo every time I got gas just like I do now). It could be off by as much as 2 mpg, and that could either be + or minus depending on if I was on a trip versus a bunch of city driving.

The trip computer in my wife's 2012 5.0 is usually 0.5-0.6 mpg on the pessimistic side, so if it says 17.2 mpg she would get 17.7-17.8 when figured manually.

The trip computer in my 2014 5.0 is usually spot on, never more than 0.1 mpg off, I am actually quite pleased with it. That said, the miles to empty are never right when I check that side of it up against the current MPG reading.

Years ago in the F150 I had figured out that the miles to empty is being based off of the size of the tank minus 2 gallons as a reserve. The method I used to come to the conclusion was that I would get gas as soon as my 50 miles to empty alarm would go off. Then I hand calculated my mpg for the tank, and I would always take 2 gallons less than what I should have needed at the current MPG. I guess this was Fords way of covering their butt if someone were to blame THEM for running out of gas (not that they should have needed to, but in this overly litigious society we live in now one could understand why they would).

I am not 100% sure that is the case with the Mustangs but it may very well be the case. I guess its time for me to do a "study" again lol.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Apprentice

When I got mine, the computer always said around 16mpg. With about 7k on it now I get between 20-21 almost all city. On a highway road trip I got 31 over an entire tank. Others here have said their mileage started bad but improved as things wore in. But this doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
Why would you buy a car with a rear suspension designed solely for straight-line acceleration and a 420hp engine... and not savor that beautiful torque curve?

You have to pay (at the pump) to play.

Best I've gotten so far is 18.2mpg around town. On the highway I nearly hit 22mpg, averaging 80-85 on a trip to Nashville, with a lot of time spent at WOT coming back onto the highway's on-ramps, and rolling back up to speed after waiting behind a semi trailer struggling to pass.

The beauty of the Coyote motor is having to *decelerate* as you merge into freeway traffic at the end of that on-ramp, and not struggling up to speed in your 4 banger econobox. Just my humble opinion.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I just need to do it manually. I know i'll never get anywhere close to a skyactiv Mazda 3 - but it's a whole lot more fun to drive to work in.....

2014 - V6 Premium w/ Pony Pkg ~ Boss 302 Strut Brace ~ Infinity 6832's speakers ~ Bazooka BTA6100 Sub Tube ~ Matte Black Stripes ~ FRPP 18x8.5 Matte Black Bullit Wheels ~ Air Raid CAI ~ MBRP S7242304 Exhaust

PONY Member

Yeah for the first 5-6 thousand miles the mpg on my GT was 15-16 mpg 80% city 20% highway, after that I've been getting 17-18 mpg in the same conditions.

I will say that the newer models computer for calculating mpg is more accurate, in my 2011 V6 the mpg would be off by 1-3 mpg compared to manually calculations. The 14 GT is pretty spot on.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page