Ford Racing Brake Duct kit 2013/14 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ford Racing Brake Duct kit 2013/14

I was curious if anyone has installed this M-2004-MBA Ford Racing Brake Duct Kit GT 2013-2014/Boss 302 2013: Ford Racing Mustang Brake Duct Kit GT 2013-2014/Boss 302 2013 on their cars. It comes stock on the Laguna Seca. I like the idea of making the lower outside grills functional. Any unusual mods that need to be done? Satisfaction level?
I was originally thinking about getting a set of M-20045-MSVT Ford Racing Brake Cooling Shields High Performance 2005-2014: M-20045-MSVT Mustang Ford Racing Brake Cooling Shields High Performance 2005-2014 | CJ Pony Parts that come stock on the 2014 GT500 but they seem barely worth the trouble.
I have the Brembo brake package.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Do you track your car? If not...don't waste your time/money.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
Rookie

I've installed most of the brake duct kit on my '05 GT... and yes, I do track the car.

I did the 14" Brembo upgrade a few weeks ago. I managed to get the exterior plastic for the 2011 Track Pak to fit the opening in my lower outside grill. At least on one side. Destroyed the driver's side one before I figured out a better way to make it fit. I'll finish up running the hoses when I procure a replacement.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
PONY Member
S197 Member

That is a crazy expensive kit. Wish there were cheaper options out there!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
There are. You just have to piece it together yourself.

I bought the Vorshlag backing plates for $170 +$20 shipping then ordered 10 ft of high temp 3" ducting from Summit Racing. All you really need is your own hose clamps and some large (15" minimum length) zip ties. Total cost to me is about $250, $80 less than the Ford Racing kit.

There have also been some issues with the hoses not fitting properly over the backing plates that Ford Racing supplies. The duct I bought slipped right over the openings on the Vorshlag plates.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

I believe the Ford kit has been fixed, but I can't independently verify this

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
Do you track your car? If not...don't waste your time/money.
I was thinking about giving it a try and seeing how I like it. I've never taken a car around a race track before so the idea seems fun.
In any case, having simulated brake cooling duct grills seems silly to me so I simply wanted to make them functional with the optional kit. If it gets used someday for it's intended purpose all the better.
I'm guessing very few people with a 2013/14 GT or 2013 Boss have installed it. Maybe I'll give it a shot. $400 isn't that bad and it's fully functional. It's a justified accessory/add-on in my opinion.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014
Apprentice

If you track your car it will make a huge difference. The install will require you to relocate the horn in order to get clearance on the drivers side.

2013 GT Track Pack, Airaid CAI, BBK Throttle Body, Magnaflow Competition Catbacks, Eibach Pro Street S, Whiteline Watts Link, Trucarbon Spoiler, Ford Racing Short Shifter, Hotchkis Sub Frame and K Member Brace, Boss Brake Cooling Ducts, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, Hawk Race Pads, Shelby Rear Strut Tower Brace, Steeda X Brace, Rear Seat Delete, Stillen Splitter, BAMA Tune.
2012 V6
2006 V6
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOSKER View Post
If you track your car it will make a huge difference. The install will require you to relocate the horn in order to get clearance on the drivers side.
Thanks for the info. That's very useful and exactly what I was looking for. Out of curiosity, where does the horn go? Is drilling necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page