V6 vs V8 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I chose the V6 over the V8. Regret it? Yes and no. Yes, in that I thought the V6 aftermarket would have gone a lot further than it has.

No, in that the fuel economy is fine and the insurance is great, and the car just plain performs plenty well for my liking.

4cyl Ecoboost, V6, V8, or FI'd V8 doesn't matter: I'd alsways be looking for more power, so the regrets are really pretty slim.

Love what ya got.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

I have a V6 and I really enjoy it as a daily driver but, if you can afford it the GT is the obvious better choice.

2014 Mustang V6 MCA DIB
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Having owned both an 05 (saleen) and 06 (before I supercharged it) GT's, I kinda know the power of the 11-14 V6's :} Since I had the cash to pay for my car in full, I have no regrets. I don't dislike the V6, but I had the money for extra power so, why not

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Perfectly happy with my V6 and I've had it since July 2011. Drove the 5.0 and 3.7 for a month each (rentals) before buying.

I drive it all year, in all weather conditions and my fuel & insurance costs are low.

2014 GT/CS | 6R80
PONY Member

Driven both, couldn't imagine not having the V8.
GT Member
V6 Member

I bought the V6 because of overall TCO. Cheaper up front and cheaper to run. I needed a daily driver for my insane 130 mile round trip commute at the time but I didn't want a boring car, i.e. an Accord. These V6's are hardly boring. It's quite spirited and fun to drive and looks great. A V8 woulda been more fun overall but it's complete overkill for a commuter car. I may get one someday, I do like the 2012's the best.

I do regret getting the lame 2.73 base rear end and base suspension. I shoulda got the performance package. That woulda been a fun fk'ing car!

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
Apprentice

I trade my 2012 V6 auto for a 2014 GT manual. The V6 drove fine but I missed the stick and V8 which I had on my 08.

2014 GT Premium, Ruby Red, 6speed, 3:73 gears, 1969 Sportsroof Performance Red.
PONY Member

About a year ago I drove a 12 v6 against a 08 gt and ended up with a 14 base v6 i loved the car but I really wanted a v8 and came across one at an awesome price and finally wound up getting my v8 and couldn't be happier

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I got the V6 for several reasons. I could have bought a GT if I wanted (my wife even gave me permission) but coming from a 320HP Trans Am, the V6 seemed plenty for a daily driver and cruising, the mileage is much better (on regular gas) and upgrading to 3.31 gears gave me the low end torque I had been missing. And one reason I've never seen mentioned by anyone else is that I wanted a white car with stone interior and stone top - the GT comes only with a black top.

Do I miss having a V8 under the hood? Occasionally. But then I go for a drive along the ocean with the top down and it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page