July 4th Weekend Fender Bender advice... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

July 4th Weekend Fender Bender advice...

SO in traffic I managed to not stop in time for traffic unexpectedly stopping...I was a too little too late and bumped into a jeep in front of me.

Now my bumper and nose is off center with the hood with some plastic brackets broken inside...but the bumper has no dent, dimple or scratch, it is as if it was simply smooshed in about 2 inches...

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the auto body shop, anyone else have this happen to them? My biggest fear is that the entire bumper assembly or more has to be replace eg repainted...and the thought of the shop trying to match my paint is going to make me lie awake at night....SOMEONE bring me back to reality before I catastrophize any longer...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	686.3 KB
ID:	362106   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	362114  

2013 GT Base GHIG Track Pack + Recaros + GT500 AxleBacks + Boss 302 Tranny Cooler + Ford Racing Pro-Calibration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
PONY Member
S197 Member

Have you popped the hood? The radiator cover comes off in about 5, I'd take that off and take a peek, it'll show you what's going on where that front part of the bumper/shark nose bolts down to the chassis. Looks like it's just moved out of place, but really that shouldn't happen without some sort of damage occurring. Whole bumper will come off in about 20 minutes. If it's just something moved out of place and there's no damage, you can fix it yourself in less than 2 hours.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
PONY Member
S197 Member

Once you get the radiator cover off, you can see how the top of the bumper attaches underneath.. In order for that part to get pushed down the way it is, I'm worried something would need to give...

There are two plastic phillips head screws and two bolts that hold the front bumper on at the top. Here's my bumper from a month or to ago while off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front_bumper.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	663.9 KB
ID:	362122  

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes I did peek down there! There is a mounting bracket directly under my finger that has sheered from the bolts to the frame...but below that who knows, unfortunately I am swamped with work school work this weekend to really take it apart and do it myself. Thank you for the help and photos!

2013 GT Base GHIG Track Pack + Recaros + GT500 AxleBacks + Boss 302 Tranny Cooler + Ford Racing Pro-Calibration
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
PONY Member
S197 Member

Gotchya, what I was afraid of. I'm assuming it's one of the bolt holes that ripped/sheared away. Hopefully a body shop can repair that and you won't have to buy a new bumper and worry about paint matching GHIG etc... Good luck!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014
BOSS Member

Paint matching is not an issue......what you want to avoid is "Paint Blending".....(an alternate approved method)...that is where they either visually determine the paint to be good, little fade, more fade and mix the paint generically, then spray the adjoining panels.....in the end, it looks like a zebra.

Paint matching is done with a laser (camera type device) that they take 3 readings and the computer mixes the paint...they shoot a supplied piece of material, let it dry & check the match to the existing paint. Paint matching should not be an issue.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

I know that the paint system used on my bumper of my 2011 is base coat, clear coat. No issues with the color match. I had greater damage and the radiator core support had to be replaced. Good luck.

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014
Apprentice

I was worried about paint on my rear bumper after a small dig. Came out great. Just make sure you use a good bodyshop.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Manual, Black, C&L Racer Intake w/ Bama Perf tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page