2013 Fog Lights-HELP! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RCasad
2013 Fog Lights-HELP!

I recently purchased a '13 V6 and I am in love with it. However, it has fog lights in the bumper, as well as the LED style fog lights in the grill. The smaller fog lights in the bumper come on when I use the switch, but upon further inspection, the LED lights in the grill don't even have a harness ran to them. Does anyone know if this was common from the factory, or something that someone added aftermarket? I know they are the factory lights and grill, I just don't understand why someone would put the extra money into the lights and not have them hooked up. Call me crazy I guess. That's what makes me think it was factory, but it is still stupid to do even from the factory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Post a pic? Would help alot.

'05 Blk Prem V6 Roush Styled, X-Charged, & Highly Modified Sold
'06 Torch Red Prem GT

Show: SGT Grille, SGT Lower Fogs, GT500 Chin Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler, GT Hood Scoop/Side Scoops, Powered By Ford Fender Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Sequential TL, '13 Painted Mirrors, '10 Style GT500 Rims.
Suspension: GT500 Strut Mounts, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, SR 1.5" Springs, SR Rear LCAs, J&M Adjust PHB.
Exhaust: SLP LoudMouth1s.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
PONY Member

Grille fog lights in a V6 sounds aftermarket. Might be an OEM part, but didn't come stock on the V6.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
PONY Member

Its probably a V6 with a OEM GT grille and fog lamps, but the previous owner didn´t connect the grille lamps because there´s no harness and probably its not as easy as just disconnecting the harness from the lower bumper lamps and connecting the LED fog lamps on the grille.

From what I understand its not legal to have more than 4 lights on at a time .

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Unhappy

2013 Fog Lights-HELP!-img_0005.jpg

Let me know if this helps. The lower smaller fog lights work as expected, but like I said the ones in the grill are missing the harness.

Either way, aftermarket or OEM, how the heck would I go about hooking them up? I don't want just a set of non working fog lights, so Id like to hook BOTH up if that makes sense, but at the same time, I don't want to have an aftermarket switch. I just want the one OEM switch. I don't know if its even possible. I seem to get myself into the damnedest predicaments...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
I actually questioned the legality of the lights myself, but I asked our local PD and they said no there are no issues with more than one set of fog lights.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
Californicajun

The harness for the GT LED fogs won't work with the Pony lower fogs. It's either or and then it would take some splicing and cutting to have it work off of the stock interior switch.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
Apprentice

As another user stated, the previous owner swapped the V6 grill for the GT grill. Your car appears (from what I can see of the wheels) to be the Premium model with the Pony Package. The PP comes with upgraded wheels, optional door stripes and unique grill. The PP factory grill your car had is the same one on my car, so you can check out the picture of mine to see. It is a chrome corral surrounding the pony.

I would either leave the current grill as is and not worry about the fogs, or I would replace the grill with the factory style Pony Package unit. Heck, the previous owner might still have it (though doubtful). You can certainly find and purchase on ebay or through Ford.

2014 Pony Package convertible l Deep Impact Blue on Black l auto (current)

2014 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 l White on Grey l Chrome 20"s l Navigation l Hemi (current daily driver)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
Apprentice

See image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0391.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	362777  

2014 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 l White on Grey l Chrome 20"s l Navigation l Hemi (current daily driver)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Tommy, I LOVE the color of your stang. Looks great.

Ill probably end up doing that, depending on what the dealership says tomorrow. I have an appointment with them to take a look at the lights. I just bought it a week ago saturday, and I told them that I bought the car under the impression that the fog lights were working. So they said they'd take a look at it.

Just for shits and giggles, if I would want the GT lights to work, and not the ones in the bumper, isn't there a conversion harness to go from the standard H11 to the LED? So I could have the grill lights working without the bumper?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
And as far as the previous owner goes, the car was actually a lease car. She only had it for one year. And I thought that modifying a lease car was a no-no, but that doesn't mean she didn't do it anyway.
Apprentice

Thanks man. You will continue to very much enjoy your car, and the Sterling Grey was an excellent color choice. My F150 is that color; you'll find that your car will be much more resistant to scratches and chips than other colors. And as a side note, I can wash my truck and even after it rains, it still looks great (as long as it isn't rolling down the road at the time).

There is certainly a way to tap into the wiring harness to get those lights working, but I wouldn't know how without messing with it.

And if you're into modding your car at all, the Airaid cold air intake gets glowing reviews.

Apprentice
S197 Member

I have fog lights in my 2011 grill and added the lower splitter valance from the CS which has lights. To wire them ( no mickey mouse ) I found the Roush harness. I has the relay and the switch to choose upper or lower lights. Check it out

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
Apprentice

cool and strange that it has GT grilles on it.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Thanks so much Capt! Ill definitely take a look into it. You wouldnt happen to have a link would you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page