Had to foot massive repair bill, should I be mad about this one? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry Had to foot massive repair bill, should I be mad about this one?

Bear with me for a second if this seems like a bad place to post this, or if this is in poor form, but I feel like I just got screwed on a repair and I need to figure out what the right play is, or if there even is a right play.

Back in October 2013 I bought a used 2012 Mustang V6 premium with just over 15,000 miles on it. It was sold to me with a remaining factory warranty from a Ford dealership. I also bought extended warranty coverage at that time.

I just got done shelling out 900 bucks to get the rear parking sensors fixed. According to the mechanic at the dealership that did the work, an aftermarket module of some kind had been installed and was interfering with the operation of the sensors.

He speculated with me that the previous owner, at some point, had installed an aftermarket security system, or remote starter or something, and that this was a remnant from that system after being removed. As a result, he said, there was no warranty coverage available to me, as the parking sensors allegedly failed as a result of this aftermarket module the he found in there.

So, here's the question:

Do I get mad at the dealership that sold me the car? Were they legally able to sell it with a warranty if there were defective/modified components? Are they liable if they didn't know?

Do I get mad at the dealership that did the work. Is there something fishy about this diagnosis?

... or is this really just an unfortunate set of circumstances and I just need to suck it up?

It always sucks to shell out this kind of cash, but I want to hear from some other owners before I start calling around tomorrow . What are your thoughts, guys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I would contact DEYSHA,our Ford Customer Service Rep on this site,I would run this repair issue by her, and get her take on what happened,she is a very nice lady, and has helped out many of us with our problems with Ford & there dealerships,give her all the info, and let her do her thing.

Last edited by 5.0 Coyote; 07-10-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: for got a letter.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014
BOSS Member

Its called fraud....the dealer (in most states) must conduct an inspection on the car and disclose any "defects"...if it was that easy to see, it should have been detected. and they would have a difficult time explaining why they didn't inspect the electrical harness since its a critical part of the smog & vehicle operation

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014
Rookie

I believe since it is an aftermarket part and not a factory stock item part, it's not usually covered under warranty. Stock items are covered 100% most of the time.

It's also not your fault since you purchased the mustang used from a Ford dealer and you had no way of knowing it wasn't modified but those are the risks when buying used cars. I am pretty sure the dealer didn't know about it. You may want to run by a Ford customer service rep.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014
PONY Member

If it had aftermarket stuff on it don't be mad at the dealer who fixed it, warranty is for OEM parts. You can get mad at the dealer who sold it and contact them but they likely didn't know about it or think it was a problem.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Its called fraud....the dealer (in most states) must conduct an inspection on the car and disclose any "defects"...if it was that easy to see, it should have been detected. and they would have a difficult time explaining why they didn't inspect the electrical harness since its a critical part of the smog & vehicle operation
Sorry, while I feel for the OP, this is absolutely not fraud. Making that argument in a courtroom would result in getting laughed out of the building.

First off, the original dealership probably had no idea whatsoever that there was an aftermarket modification to the remote sensing system. Second, the trade in inspection on a newer car that doesnt have any obvious problems is pretty cursory and I can assure you 'electrical harnesses' arent checked unless there is some major glaring problem (the body harness is laying in the passenger seat).

OP, once the second dealer advised you of the situation, why didnt you contact the first dealer and see if they would handle the repair under warranty as a 'good will' for a recent customer?

It seems that it is likely all parties are acting in good faith but the circumstances are unfortunate for the OP.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014
PONY Member

Sounds like a bad case of no party is at fault, but in the end, it is your car so you get the bill. Even if the first dealer removed the aftermarket system, the mechanic is not an electrical engineer and had no idea that 8 months later the system would fail. The dealer that repaired the problem was faced with a situation outside of the normal diagnostic routine, and the time spent is reflected in the bill. You are the owner, and even if it isn't fair since you didn't install the system, like I said before, it's your bill.

Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid.
John Wayne
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I kind of figured this is how it'd play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
OP, once the second dealer advised you of the situation, why didnt you contact the first dealer and see if they would handle the repair under warranty as a 'good will' for a recent customer?
Because, and here's the bad part, they didn't tell me what was wrong until I came to pick up the car.

"By the way, this isn't covered under warranty. That'll be 850 dollars please."

Last edited by heavy metal; 07-11-2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: language
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014
Rookie

Any aftermarket parts installed usually void the warranty on any part system that is involved in anyway with the aftermarket part. Some warranties will still cover certain aftermarket parts if installed by certified installer, so it really depends on how your warranty is written. The last thing you want to do, however, is be rude or have an attitude with the dealership doing your work (keep your friends close and enemies closer). Most states will have a lemon law of some kind for all used car so I would suggest contacting a lawyer first for some guidance...The warranty should upheld in some way as the car should have been inspected before the seller issued or sold you a warranty, at the least, you should receive the money you spent on the extended warranty if its invalid or null now due to the aftermarket upgrades.
GT Member

Did the dealer remove the aftermarket stuff? If so do you have it? Proof, proof, proof!
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 on going to original dealer and was it CPO? If so you MAY have a chance. Also $900 seems rather high but idk what was involved in the repair. I would also want some type of proof. I doubt you'll get anywhere but talk to the selling dealer (polite/respectfull) good luck

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMatt View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I kind of figured this is how it'd play out.

Because, and here's the bad part, they didn't tell me what was wrong until I came to pick up the car.

"By the way, this isn't covered under warranty. That'll be 850 dollars please."
Well, there's your issue. This is where you should've thrown a fit.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)

Last edited by heavy metal; 07-11-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: language in quote
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Read the warranty and see what it says about aftermarket parts.

Also see if it says anything about the state of the car when it was sold to you; and aftermarket parts that were in the car at that time.

Also check local laws about disclosure of repair cost BEFORE the work is done. In a lot of places, they are actually required to tell you before they spend your money, and get your authorization to do so.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Let the buyer beware. The responsibility to check a used car when buying it is ultimately yours. In my opinion, it is likely that the dealer did not know the non-stock parts were there.

When I trade my cars into the Ford dealer, the first question from the dealer is typically, "Are there any modifications made to the car?" Modified cars do not sell well, so dealers want them to be stock.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
Let the buyer beware. The responsibility to check a used car when buying it is ultimately yours. In my opinion, it is likely that the dealer did not know the non-stock parts were there.

When I trade my cars into the Ford dealer, the first question from the dealer is typically, "Are there any modifications made to the car?" Modified cars do not sell well, so dealers want them to be stock.
I think the key issue here isnt whether warranty covers aftermarket parts or not, or if the original dealer know or didnt know there was aftermarket modifications to the harness but the fact that the second dealer went ahead and performed customer pay work that apparently wasnt authorized as the OP brought the car in believing it was covered under warranty. This is the key issue of the whole story and the fulcrum on which everything rests.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page