Bad V6 Exhaust Drone - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bad V6 Exhaust Drone

Hello all,
I recently upgraded from an 07 V6 to a 14 V6. I got the bassani axlebacks from AM and holy **** do they drone. The drone is from about 1700-3000 rpm. I tried adjusting the ball and socket type joints in the exhaust and moving and tightening the clamps around thinking that maybe I had put them on wrong, with no luck.
Searching online I found a few threads on various forms about a "J pipe" resonator. Has anyone tried this or something similar and had any success getting rid of or reducing the drone on a V6(for any muffler/exhaust setup)?
Any feedback would be appreciated,
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I have the same and mine only drones a bit when going uphill under load around 2k. From what I've read I'll guess you have an automatic as it seems more complain about drone & Bassanis with that combo. I have no good sugestions except drone is subjective so there is always a market for them used. The V6's are hard to get zero drone with.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes I have an auto, and I would be ok with a little drone, but its LOUD. That humming is intolerable, and its at the RPM's i'm most commonly at. I'm going to try and take it to an exhaust shop and see if it can't be fixed by adding magnaflow resonators

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelzner View Post
Yes I have an auto, and I would be ok with a little drone, but its LOUD. That humming is intolerable, and its at the RPM's i'm most commonly at. I'm going to try and take it to an exhaust shop and see if it can't be fixed by adding magnaflow resonators
I added an 16in resonator on each side and that took care of about 90% of my drone. I have Bassani full exhaust with no cats.

First 3.7L Mustang in the 12's
All Things 3.7L Mustang; V6MustangPerformance.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014
BOSS Member

Here is a very detailed post on drone.............

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ggestions.html

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
drone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page