Did Pirelli Change Compounds? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
That's not the question I raised. I asked specifically about the Brembo PP/Track Pack Pirelli MO (Mercedes Original) OEM tires that come on the cars from the factory.

The mileage people have gotten out of them is all over the map. So with the exact same tires, Pirelli has changed the compound over the years. And I don't remember where, but I read something to that effect somewhere in the last year or two.
All Brembo tires have been the exact same from 11-14 it all depends on how you drive it and the power your putting down. Hope I got it this time. lol

2011 GT 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73 Performance White - Bama X4 V2 91P, On3 Performance OR/X, Res Delete, GT500 AB, Axle Exchange DS, AEM Intake, Full BMR Rear, Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, Steeda Tri-Ax, Many more...

1970 Mach1 351 Cleveland M Code Numbers Matching Gone 60 paint - 5 Speed Tremec, MSD Blaster, Flowmaster, Ram Air, Many more...

Previous - 2005 Mustang GT, 1995 F350, 2003 Ram 1500...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mustangsoa View Post
All Brembo tires have been the exact same from 11-14 it all depends on how you drive it and the power your putting down. Hope I got it this time. lol
I agree. I really doubt that they made any significant changes to the tire compound, if any at all.

PONY Member

I have 10K on my stock P-Zeros on the BOSS, they are about half gone, the car breaks loose MUCH easier now even cornering hard and on the juice. I agree Michelin Pilot Super Sports are my next tire. Drove a set on my cousin's Corvette, I was VERY IMPRESSED. he has a very snotty car and they were tough to break loose, and the car stuck like glue in the twisties.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mustangsoa View Post
I've asked about a dozen people what mileage they got out of their original tires, and the answers go from under 7k, to over 20k. And I asked most responders to explain how they drive, how hard they were on their original tires. There has been no driving behavior that can explain the tremendous mileage difference people got out of their first set.

My first set of tires were gone at 10k, and my 2nd set (EXACTLY the same tires) are still going strong at 20k. Same car, same driver, same behavior (my car actually puts down MORE power now), vastly different results.

Pirelli has changed the rubber compound for the tires, there can be no doubt.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Apprentice

It's not the tires but the car. I have been one of those plagued with front suspension problems with the toe in of the alignment loose. This causes the front tires to be eaten by the car reducing mileage.

For now I am going to live with it, my current tires are already shot, however before my next set of tires I was advised to upgrade to either a ROUSH or FRPP front suspension.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
Apprentice

My 2012 Brembo GT has about 18K on it and the 220 rated Pzeros look just fine - maybe half worn at worse. This is all in town commuter driving.

My Ford Garage:
1965 ERA 427 Cobra Street Roadster
2003 Lightning
2017 Shelby GT350
Retired: 2008 Mustang GT; 2012 Mustang GT
GT Member

It is not like the old days, where oem tires were as hard as iron to ensure people wouldn't be pissed off replacing them in a year. These days it is not uncommon to find oem tires MUCH less durable than the off-the-rack version of the same tire, in performance applications.

It isn't a big deal to change compounds and these MOs were designed for AMG Mercs and such. It's my opinion, these soft Pirellis made up a good part of the reason the Mustang fared so well in mag tests.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
It's not the tires but the car. I have been one of those plagued with front suspension problems with the toe in of the alignment loose. This causes the front tires to be eaten by the car reducing mileage.

For now I am going to live with it, my current tires are already shot, however before my next set of tires I was advised to upgrade to either a ROUSH or FRPP front suspension.
No, no problems with alignment. All tires wear evenly when properly rotated.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
No, no problems with alignment. All tires wear evenly when properly rotated.

I am in my second set of tires all with toe in wear and both sets have been rotated and balanced every 5,000 miles. Last time on alignments I had the shop set it dead on to Ford specs and was extra careful not to clip anything with the front end. 5,000 miles later left front was out again 0.50.

I had the shop zero out the camber and toe but the tires are already ruined. Once a wear pattern is developed that is it. Since the wheels are directional (as are most summer max performance tires) there is not much I can do.

The shop is where I bought the second set of tires and they are trying to help he get every mile out of them. The second alignment was free. I am sure if there was some mystical tire rotation plan that would magically solve this problem they would put me on it.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I have an early 2011 GT and have 14000 miles on mine, they still look brand new,never even had to rotate them yet!
People rotate staggered tires? O.o
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
People rotate staggered tires? O.o
Who's talking about staggered tires? This thread is about the life span of the stock 255/40/19s that come on the Track pack/Brembo pkg cars.
Rookie

I have almost 10,000 on my stock set and they seem to be considerably noisier than they were almost a year ago. They still have plenty of tread, too, but I am not real hard on them.
BOSS Member

Garage
Tire wear is like gas mileage, it depends a lot on the driver. It's going to be interesting to see how my GY Supercars wear compared to the P-Zeros.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page