Can this HP gain can be felt? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
S197 Member

Its just around what I thought it would be. I was thinking that it would have to be less than the Boss hp so as not to upset Boss owners. Maybe- maybe not.

2013 GT premium, Deep impact blue, Recaros, Manual, 3.73, Gt500 mufflers, Barton shifter, Steeda 91 tune, Pilot Sport A/S 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
I still think that the 11 and 12 was underrated at 412, I was saying that before my 420 hp 2014 arrived.

I'm just hoping that the handling benefits of the IRS will "outweigh" (pun intended) the weight gain.

Peak hp dyno tests between 11-12 and 13-14 say you're correct.

I doubt most of us have either the skill or opportunity to push either axle version to it's limits. Professional drivers and test reports over the years have noted the the current live axle handles amazingly well. The most noticeable everyday benefit with the IRS be in a smoother ride on rough roads.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

PONY Member

I doubt that gain can be felt especially with the weight gain. The biggest thing the 15 has going for it is the IRS and better quality interior. The challenger isn't all that menacing as everyone is making it out to be since all the power becomes irrelevant when you're carting around the weight of a small house. I'm more interested in seeing the response to the hellcat version of the challenger.

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.

Apprentice

Am I incorrect and saying that the IRS will lose a little more power than a live axle? Kind of a newbie comment on suspension I only know motor stuff.

1990 gt: trickflow entire street kit, 36lb injectors, 190 lb fuel pump, c&l 73mm maf, bbk tb, 3.55:1, 17x8/17x10, koni struts and shocks, 130amp alt, etc.... (Too much extras to list) 296rwhp was stolen
2011 v6 280 rwhp headers, axlebacks, Bama 91r tune, airaid, tb, 3.55, many many mods.... Sold
2014 gt procharger stage two, flow master outlaws axles. 565 rwhp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewball012 View Post
Am I incorrect and saying that the IRS will lose a little more power than a live axle? Kind of a newbie comment on suspension I only know motor stuff.

You're right. It does.

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
I dunno what to tell ya. There was an alleged 8 hp increase between my wife's 2012 and my 2014, both cars weigh about the same, and I cannot feel any difference between the two. I still think that the 11 and 12 was underrated at 412, I was saying that before my 420 hp 2014 arrived.

With the 2015 going up 15 hp but weighing more there really isn't that much of a difference there either. Add to that the increased drivetrain loss due to the IRS and I feel that some 2015 owners who have had 11-14 GT's may feel somewhat disappointed with the straight line feel. I'm just hoping that the handling benefits of the IRS will "outweigh" (pun intended) the weight gain.

The ones who will be all grins about the new car will be the ones stepping up from a 2010 or older GT or V6 of any year.
I feel a difference in my 2014 3.7 over my 2012 3.7?

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
You're right. It does.

So with the added weight 1/4mile times probably are going to be slower ? Unless HP under the curve are changed ? And only a select few who are truly bad ass at driving and get to take it to the track will be able to take advantage of the awesomeness of the IRS. Here in Utah we have a track you can drive if you get certified and its pretty awesome but after $600 and a ton of driving with an instructor I think I'll pass. Maybe some day but...

1990 gt: trickflow entire street kit, 36lb injectors, 190 lb fuel pump, c&l 73mm maf, bbk tb, 3.55:1, 17x8/17x10, koni struts and shocks, 130amp alt, etc.... (Too much extras to list) 296rwhp was stolen
2011 v6 280 rwhp headers, axlebacks, Bama 91r tune, airaid, tb, 3.55, many many mods.... Sold
2014 gt procharger stage two, flow master outlaws axles. 565 rwhp
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
I feel a difference in my 2014 3.7 over my 2012 3.7?
That's really strange since the V6 didn't get any bump between 2012 and 2014. Did you switch from auto to manual, or maybe a different rear gear?

Both of mine are 3.31 manuals and the both feel the same at full throttle (fast as hell, lol).

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page