What is resonator delete? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

What is resonator delete?

Is this something in between the cats and the muffler? I am going to be putting Borla S-Type axle backs on and am wondering if this resonator delete would make things even better?

Thanks,
Griff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That's someone's odd terminology for removing the OE resonators. If you have an 11-14 GT, they are under the car, behind the cats and H pipe and look like small glasspacks. Some remove them to increase the sound/tone of the exhaust, but you will also hear an increase in interior sound.
"Better" is very subjective. I wouldn't remove them from my car, but many tossed them as far as they could.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
Apprentice

Eh, first thing I did on my Camaro SS & Challenger SRT was delete the resonators. They really kill the real sound your car can create IMO, and deleting them does not make a HUGE difference, but it makes a very noticeable difference, in a good way. I have not deleted them on the GT as I drive a Shelby, but it comes without them & just mufflers right before the tips. I'd say get rid of them and enjoy that V-8.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56 View Post
That's someone's odd terminology for removing the OE resonators. If you have an 11-14 GT, they are under the car, behind the cats and H pipe and look like small glasspacks. Some remove them to increase the sound/tone of the exhaust, but you will also hear an increase in interior sound.
"Better" is very subjective. I wouldn't remove them from my car, but many tossed them as far as they could.
When you say behind the cats and h pipe you mean after the cats and h pipe before mufflers right ? I ask because I installed axlebacks last week and noticed glass pack like exhaust part and on the driver side it was bent pretty badly but figured they were bent/dented on purpose. Thinking of deleting them for both sound and if I got an exhaust that's not supposed to be dented

1990 gt: trickflow entire street kit, 36lb injectors, 190 lb fuel pump, c&l 73mm maf, bbk tb, 3.55:1, 17x8/17x10, koni struts and shocks, 130amp alt, etc.... (Too much extras to list) 296rwhp was stolen
2011 v6 280 rwhp headers, axlebacks, Bama 91r tune, airaid, tb, 3.55, many many mods.... Sold
2014 gt procharger stage two, flow master outlaws axles. 565 rwhp
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Is this something any muffler shop can do?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
Is this something any muffler shop can do?
Yeah..all it involves is cutting off the resonator, which looks like a muffler, or a tumor, and putting in just a straight piece of pipe. ANY muffler shop can do that, it's seriously stupid easy. Example from the 5.7l Charger (AUTO w\ MDS (4 cyinder shut-off on the V-8) On the GT-500 they are deleted and all you have is mufflers before the tips.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
Yeah..all it involves is cutting off the resonator, which looks like a muffler, or a tumor, and putting in just a straight piece of pipe. ANY muffler shop can do that, it's seriously stupid easy.
sweet. I will look into it
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
sweet. I will look into it
Just edited it with a example pic of what resonators look like. I'd def say get rid of them as I don't have them on my GT-500 and I get no drone from the 5.4l, and it sounds super bubbly, but really I actually want it LOUDER, looking into the BOSS exhaust, but I don't want to loose the bubbling V-8 sound.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014
Apprentice

that pic is backwards on our cars unless im confused. What I do know is I just did axleback swap and it substitutes the mufflers and then tips. the resonator should look like normal piping but a little larger like it's a coupler? right before the axlebacks.

1990 gt: trickflow entire street kit, 36lb injectors, 190 lb fuel pump, c&l 73mm maf, bbk tb, 3.55:1, 17x8/17x10, koni struts and shocks, 130amp alt, etc.... (Too much extras to list) 296rwhp was stolen
2011 v6 280 rwhp headers, axlebacks, Bama 91r tune, airaid, tb, 3.55, many many mods.... Sold
Apprentice

Here is what I believe is the resonator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNDERNEATH CAR SECOND.jpg
Views:	16295
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	365922  

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Yes. Those are the resonators on a GT. They are both dented but the passenger side "dent" is on the top.

OracleHCR
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium; Performance Package 1:
MagneRide; Active Exhaust
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewball012 View Post
Here is what I believe is the resonator.
^ is correct.

2012 GT/CS 'Vert. Triple Black
PONY Member

The oem pipes, from the H pipe to the mufflers, are a dented mess. I got the LP over axle pipes and really like the sound improvement.

Lethal Performance Mustang 2-3/4" T304 S.S. GEN2 Over Axle Pipes - Over-Axle Pipes - Exhaust - 2011-2014 - Ford Mustang GT - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page