Need Opinions on next upgrades/mods - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: What should I upgrade in the spring?
Suspension (new springs, struts, sway bars etc.) 4 100.00%
Big Brake Kit (Brembo/Baer) 0 0%
Upgrade Rotors, Pads, brake lines 0 0%
Leave it alone 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Need Opinions on next upgrades/mods

I am starting to plan my next mods for my GT, this winter I will be buying some dedicated snow tires since the Pirelli's are adequate but not ideal with the snow we get in PA.

That being said, I plan on either upgrading the suspension or brakes in the spring and wanted to get everyone's opinion on which one I should do first and what packages they've had success with.

This GT is a standard premium package (no track pack or brembo's), I've looked at big brake kits but I don't want to go bigger than the 19" wheels I have (will be buying a new set in the spring anyway).

American Muscle has some ford racing suspension kits and eibachs, how does everyone feel about those?

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
Apprentice

i am no expert as I just got my mustang gt myself but the first thing I may look into is a big brake kit. I feel like the brakes on this car are not very good, especially for all the power it makes. id start there

2013 GT-Oxford White on black interior 6-speed
Steeda Tuner- Borla Stinger Axleback
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
Apprentice

Depends on what you are going to be doing with your car. The stock suspension and brakes are plenty good for daily driving, even aggressive daily driving (although the suspension could use some buttoning down). Dragstrip/road course/auto-x? Not so much.

2013 GT 6MT (Black)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
I am starting to plan my next mods for my GT, this winter I will be buying some dedicated snow tires since the Pirelli's are adequate but not ideal with the snow we get in PA.

That being said, I plan on either upgrading the suspension or brakes in the spring and wanted to get everyone's opinion on which one I should do first and what packages they've had success with.

This GT is a standard premium package (no track pack or brembo's), I've looked at big brake kits but I don't want to go bigger than the 19" wheels I have (will be buying a new set in the spring anyway).

American Muscle has some ford racing suspension kits and eibachs, how does everyone feel about those?
Good question-I would recommend doing suspension over brakes first. Our cars from the factory handle "okay" but Ford left a lot on the table. The pitch, roll and just overall driving characteristics is something that really needs some work. I'm pretty partial to Eibach's Handling Pack over The Ford Racing because it's been widely speculated and I believe confirmed somewhere on one of the forums that Eibach manufactures Ford Racing's kit. It's a no brainer from a price perspective given that they're going to have roughly identical parts! Not only will they help the car handle better and look better but it's been documented that they'll help the car accelerate, brake, more efficiently as well as even helping your fuel consumption!

If you're still concerned about the brakes rather than shooting for a Big Brake Kit I would take a look at our Brake Section and pick up pads, new rotors and possibly lines.

Shoot me a PM if you don't have our forums discount code and I'll get you set up!

Alex

Alex Lazarus | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 1-866-363-4591 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
PONY Member

Normal, day-to-day braking performance has little to do with your actual brakes, assuming they are in proper operating condition. Better braking performance comes from better tires, better grip.

Brembo PP/Track Pack cars have the larger/better Brembo brakes so they can go to the track and handle and dissipate the heat from repeated braking. On the street, it's not likely for you to work your brakes hard enough to need larger brakes like Brembos. Brembo PP/Track Pack cars brake well (on the street)because of their tires, not their brakes.

So, your first a foremost performance mod should be better tires (and most people get different wheels, but they're not necessary). This is where you will get your biggest bang for your buck improvement. Then, better suspension. The brakes, if you take your car to an actual track.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page