interior smell - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

interior smell

This is probably a stupid question and basically involves many variables. But we all know how awesome the interior of a new car smells. This is a smell everyone wishes could be bottled and kept forever. Now if the temp is between 65 and 90 and dry, I drive with my windows down. Does this diminish the interior smell and/or stink it up?

Windows down exposes the driver and interior to dust, exhaust, sputum and no telling what else. Yes, I caught some guy's spit one night driving down I-35 in my 95 TBird in Austin, TX. That should have cured me but didn't....

Thoughts?

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
You'll have better luck if you just clean your interior and change your cabin air filter on a somewhat regular basis. My car is 3 1/2 years old and just rolled over 60,000 miles. It might not smell like it did when it was brand new but it still smells good when you get in it.

I usually just use the AC to cool down the car after being parked in the hot sun then shut it off and drive with the windows down.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014
Apprentice

It's been found that the "new car smell" while great, I admit, can in fact be loaded with toxic chemicals that off-gas from the various interior components in small confined spaces.

The Mustang was not in the worst offender category thankfully however.

I would suggest letting the car air out for a minute, especially on hot days, for a bit before entering.

Just my .02.

1993 Reef Blue Notch 5.0, flowmaster three chamber cat backs, K+N air, 3.73, cobra clutch, 158k and still kicking. 2014 Mustang GT prem., Black, Brembo, manual, 3.73 gear, fog-light tint, new GT floormats, led license plate bulbs, Jlt oil separator, K&N drop-in air filter, SickSpeed black shifter knob with red shift pattern, GT 500 axle backs, locking gas cap, painted MMD quarter window covers, Roush chin splitter, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, SHR black fuel door.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I thought Mustangs were supposed to smell like burned rubber......

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014
Banned

Ohhh the sweet smell of leather RECARO'S!
I've had 3 new mustangs all with leather, I'm a windows down kind of guy unless it's just rediculously got, keep it clean, don't smoke or bring home food in it and it will stay in good condition, nothing smells new forever, enjoy your car, the pedal on the right is by far better than the "new car smell"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page