It works! It has oil in it! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

It works! It has oil in it!

No, I am not trying to start yet another oil catch can thread but yesterday, 600 miles after I installed one, I checked and there was about a TBS and a half of oil in it! The blasted thing works!
I don't know how significant one and a half TBS of oil would be over 600 miles but I was surprised there was that much oil in the can.
I know there have been many threads, in several forums, about which oil catch can is best, so I won't fan those flames. But the one I bought does work, as I'm sure they all do.o

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
Californicajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan105 View Post
No, I am not trying to start yet another oil catch can thread but yesterday, 600 miles after I installed one, I checked and there was about a TBS and a half of oil in it! The blasted thing works!
I don't know how significant one and a half TBS of oil would be over 600 miles but I was surprised there was that much oil in the can.
I know there have been many threads, in several forums, about which oil catch can is best, so I won't fan those flames. But the one I bought does work, as I'm sure they all do.o

I just bought one after having 15k miles on my 2013 GT. I am installing it on Friday. I am glad to hear that they work for sure. Thanks.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
GT Member

I am assuming you are talking about an oil catch can on the passenger side. Please share with us the brand of catch can.

I have a JLT catch can on the passenger and driver's side. Only the passenger side collects oil. JLT provided a free revised screen for the driver's side that is supposed to allow collection of oil. However, I have not installed it as of yet.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
PONY Member

I had my JLT on for under 100 miles and had to prove to my dad that there would be oil in it because he didnt believe our precious Mustangs would blow oil like that. LOL

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
Apprentice

I have a Bob's and I couldn' believe how much oil it catches.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

[QUOTE=PMDmustang13;6685482]I am assuming you are talking about an oil catch can on the passenger side. Please share with us the brand of catch can.

I have a JLT on the passenger side. It was recommended by a tech at a Mustang speed shop here on Long Island.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
MACH I Member

I'm curious to what degree driving style influences the amount of oil that collects in a catch can.

For those with oil in your catch cans, how do you drive your cars?

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
I'm curious to what degree driving style influences the amount of oil that collects in a catch can.

when i am just going to work and back for a couple weeks, i get about 1/8 of an inch in the bottom of the can...

when i am 6500 shifting and drag racing for most of a tank of gas i get about 1/2 inch of oil in the bottom of my catch can.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
PONY Member

I put the breather kit. But I don't see any oil mist stains or anything around the breathers?!
PONY Member

Just curious why Ford would allow the damaging oil to leak in all the Mustangs. Lots of potential problems resulting from their not installing one as part of the car or notifying owners of the need for one. Anyone have issues from the oil without the oil catch can? Does this affect the 2014s?

Last edited by Rogan01; 07-30-2014 at 09:29 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post

I use it as my daily driver and drive relatively conservatively. But, every now and then I have some fun and remind myself what an awesome car this is.
If it's of any relevance, I'm averaging about 18.6 mpg.
PONY Member

Remember though, how much oil a can catches is only part of the equation. You also have to check the output hose at the intake manifold to see how wet or not with oil it is. Recently I checked the output line of the can that is on my fiancée's 07GT and while this can catches a lot of oil, the output line was dripping with oil which meant that quite a bit of oil was still getting past the can.

It's true that no can is 100% effective but the ones that only leave a slight film of oil or none, are considered the better cans.

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page