Please help me identify this bolt - found in interior of 2012 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Please help me identify this bolt - found in interior of 2012 Mustang GT

Hi all,

I went out autocross racing for the first time today, and had a lot of fun. This may or may not be related to my question below:

When I was putting my driver-side floor mat back in the car, I found a small bolt sitting on the floor, near the clutch pedal (picture attached). I assume it must have fell down from underneath the dashboard area. I spent a fair amount of time laying on my back with a flashlight trying to find where it belongs, but no luck so far. The bolt head has an 8.8 stamped on it - and I think that means it is a hardened bolt, and so this bolt probably served a relatively important purpose?

As far as I can tell, the bolt and threads are in good shape - no sign of it being damaged, bent, or being stripped. Hard to imagine how a bolt like this could just fall out by itself....may have been installed too loosely from the factory?

Also, it appears to have a thread locking compound on it (the red stuff in the pic) - and based on the condition of the compound, I would guess that the bolt was either never actually installed, or just partially screwed in.

The only bolt I could find that is similar is one that attaches a wiring harness to the side of the metal track for the seat.

I've attached a photo I took of the bolt. It's sitting next to my key, just to give you an idea of the size.

So, for anyone that may have taken apart their dashboard, or driver seat (or anyone else) - do you have any idea where this might belong?

Thanks for any input!!
Adam

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miami-20140809-00468.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	371577  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014
MACH I Member

Well, looks like that thread locker didn't work...

I can't figure out where it is from either though.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014
PONY Member

Reminds me of the bolts used to hold the seat tracks to the floor boards.

2005 V6 Convertible

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014
Apprentice

Probably a bolt that wasn't installed, because it dropped into an inaccessible spot under the dash, on the assembly line. Your runs at the slalom course may have caused the bolt to drop to the floor.

2011 GT black,6mt,3.73,Brembo,Vorschlag/Bilstein/Eibach, Scott Drake LCA brackets, adj. panhard bar, JHR shifter, bracket, and clutch line, Metco upper control arm & bracket, J&M Extreme lower control arms, RTR front spoiler, coming eventually Forgestar 18x11 wheels.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie Anderson View Post
Probably a bolt that wasn't installed, because it dropped into an inaccessible spot under the dash, on the assembly line. Your runs at the slalom course may have caused the bolt to drop to the floor.
+1. Looks like the thread locker has not been touched, so I would agree, dropped bolt, couldn't find it, grabbed another at the factory. Left you with a present to find, and wonder where it goes.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragon View Post
+1. Looks like the thread locker has not been touched, so I would agree, dropped bolt, couldn't find it, grabbed another at the factory. Left you with a present to find, and wonder where it goes.
I bet you guys are right - thank you for the replies!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014
PONY Member

Looks like the bolt that holds the original hood support. Does your car have aftermarket hood struts?

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014
GT Member

Id say it looks like a bolt that holds the passenger airbag to the dash frame. There two of them. It could be another dash frame bolt from somewhere in there.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page