Ford Mustang Forum banner

2013 BOSS close by

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  lup1024 
#1 ·
8200 miles on a Race Red BOSS should I seriously consider it? it would have to be a daily driver which is currently a '13 automatic bbp

#2 ·
Yes I like spending other peoples money. If that is something you really want get it. Life is too short to go without. I have seen several Boss Mustangs being driven daily around here.

#3 ·
Jump on it if that's what you want. Do you like the color/features enough for a swap? The Boss is a great package so good luck with your decision. It's still a win/win for you either way bro.

#5 ·
I preferred my GT as a DD. The Boss can definitely be used as a DD, but it would not be my first choice...because..

-lack of creature comforts--horrible radio, no nav, bland interior on par with the late 70's
-liked my GT in traffic a lot more..Boss can be a bit jumpy/twitchy in stop/go, especially with Track Key engaged
-most Boss buyers will be looking for low mile cars (don't let that deter you, but if you go to sell a DD Boss, expect some whining)

I love my Boss for all the reasons above---I don't care about the radio...I listen to the exhaust. I drive it on the weekend and avoid traffic when I can...nothing like ripping through gears on a high-revving V8.

#7 ·
Yes, yes, yes! Grab it and drive it. If I could afford a Boss 302, I would drive it all the time, but you have to decide for yourself. Not everyone would use it as a daily driver, but there's no reason not to. I'm not buying a car to save it for someone else, so they can have low mileage vehicle after I'm ready to sell it. Life is much too short. That's just me, I love my mustang, and I'm willing to sacrifice creature comfort, as you can see from my sig. Ultimately you have to decide. Good luck!

#9 ·
I had a mildly modded '06 GT and a heavily modded '09 GT 500. The Boss blows them away in every possible respect, including comfort (cloth Recaro's are awesome). A simple. inexpensive front door speaker swap (I went with Pioneers) does wonders for the sound, especially through the iPhone EQ. Trackey is great.

#10 ·
I have 2013 Boss 302, I can tell you it is not a comfortable daily driver IMO.
If you do HPDE, you may feel bad taking your Boss to the track. I think GT will be a better daily driver and track car. The Boss is faster, nimbler and has the legendary status behind it. And the legendary status by itself will make you not to daily drive it and beat the snot out of it on the track. I don't DD mine, but I have done 20 track days with so far, however I can assure you if it were GT or even better the V6, I would've been more worry free with the track experience. That is why I always say the 2011+ V6 Mustangs are the best performance cars for the buck you can buy in America. You buy them cheap, dd and track them to the ground and not so much sorrow if you kiss the wall at the trackpony.jpg

#11 ·
My friend has a 2013 GT. The only difference in comfort between his car and mine is the Recaro seats. If you eat a whole food, plant-based diet you'll love them. If you eat the Standard American Diet you may not fit. His GT is a great DD. My Boss is a superb one.

#12 ·
Yeah Dude, if you can afford it financially, get it and drive the bejesus out of it.

By the way, what are they asking?

#14 ·
That would be my first question as well.

#15 ·
8200 miles on a Race Red BOSS should I seriously consider it? it would have to be a daily driver which is currently a '13 automatic bbp

I saw the car you are talking about at David Maus. It's nice.

#16 ·
I don't have to drive my BOSS every day, but if I had to lose every car I own, guess which I would keep and drive every day..................The BOSS of course. I don't care if I put 300k miles on it, they are MY miles! The BOSS may not be cushy-comfort equipped like a premium GT, but those Recaros are SUPER comfortable, ( I hate getting out of it) it is by far the most amazing ride I've ever owned.

BTW, today would you buy a '70 BOSS with 300K on it, you bet your AZZ you would if you could find one!

#17 ·
I had a 2013 Boss 302 that I drove every day for almost 2 years before someone decided to run a red light and total it for me. It was school bus yellow. You'd think it would be hard to miss. I have a 2014 GT now. Since I have had both and you asked I will give you my 2 cents worth.

Nothing drives like a Boss. Nothing. But there is a price to pay. It's a little rough riding. Me by myself I didn't care. The roads where I live just suck. Pot holes everywhere. It's like driving an obsticle course. The GT is a little less bumpy so it depends on the roads. Being in Florida I wouldn't think they are that bad. There is little insulation in the Boss too which makes it have more road noise than the non Boss.

The radio in the Boss is the worst radio I have heard in a car since my 85 GT. If you like music you will want to do something with that. Bad doesn't begin to describe it and I don't listen to loud music anymore.

The one thing I missed the most in the Boss was the automatic HVAC. I found myself changing the fan speed all the time.

So when I went to replace the Boss I decided I would get a GT since I couldn't get auto air, auto dimming mirrors, a decent radio, and insulation from road noise in a Boss. I do have to say I miss the Boss. I really do but as a daily driver I would rather have the GT. But if you want a Boss there is NO reason not to get it. I just love the 2013 Boss stripe.

One thing to note which I plan to go reply to another thread on here, the ecm software in the GT is rather "detuned". The throttle respone is much better in the Boss. The GT is tuned for regular gas and the Boss for premium which means the timing is backed down which leaves the GT getting way worse gas mileage. I was getting 20-22 mpg in the Boss back and forth to work and the GT is sitting on about 17.0 now. I never would have imagined that. (It's a combination city/highway.) I'm seriously considering the FRPP street tune. The Boss probably isn't that much worse than a V6.

#19 ·
Did you know you can get a track key upgrade for the GT? That would improve throttle response and drivability in your '14. And on another thought, if the unthinkable happened to my car, I'd keep searching until I found another to replace it, I love the car that much!

#18 ·
Well I had my 14 gt for about five months and put about 4500 km on it before my wife so nicely decided to out the frpp 3 inch cat back and the frpp track key programming in for my birthday turned it into a whole different machine absolutely sucks on the strip right now can't hook up if my life depended on it but the programming and exhaust make it way more fun to drive and as far as comfort I have the recaro seats and I love them super comfy and I'm 6 foot 250 not fit I'm fat lol.

#20 ·
Longest sentence ever.

#23 ·
JFYI, I've got the brembo pkg and can't imagine needing anything more rigid for the street. It still rides comfortable enough that I can drive it everyday.
In stock form, the GT's power is good but I longed for more. I went with the Pro Cal and again, I can't see needing more on the street. The throttle response is so good, it is nearly annoying and almost, just almost, to responsive.
I would suggest keeping the GT, and doing some minor suspension and power upgrades and having a more street-able car.

#24 ·
"Yes I saw that track key and the track cal for the GT in the Ford Racing catalog. I'm sure this will be controversial but I had the tack key for the Boss and I used it a couple of times during regular driving and I didn’t like it. It doesn’t like to go slow with the tack key and in traffic that can be a problem. It bucked and kicked more, for example right when you let off the gas at lower RPMs. The brake saving mode kicks in when you let off the gas and the air fuel mixture goes to 20:1 and it jumps. There are subtleties that it did that got annoying. I have to say I love the lopey idle though."

Jeff--perfectly said, your comments are spot on.

#25 ·
I'd daily a Boss. Although, dollar for dollar, I'd do a GT500 over it. Probably would have to get a year or two older one, but that's just me. Very close call regardless.

Does the Boss basically have base stereo? I bet it rides just like a lowered Mustang if I had to guess, maybe depending on the setup.

#26 ·
Are you going to get the Boss???????

Does the Boss basically have base stereo?
The Boss stereo is about as base as it can get. 4 crappy speakers and the base head unit. I was in the process of doing an upgrade to mine before it got wrecked. I didn't want to change it from stock apearance but I wanted it to at least sound better than an AM radio. I bought this harness to add an aftermarket amp and modified it to be a plug in where the harness of the head unit plugs into the car. I cut the aftermarket harness to put in some line level resisters to make the head unit line level. I had monster cables to run to the amp already. I pulled rewired it so the wires in the harness would be the return wires from the speaker outs on the amp back to the factory harness. It's all put together and ready to go. LOL I was going to do some speakers after the amp and call it done.

I bet it rides just like a lowered Mustang if I had to guess, maybe depending on the setup.

As for the ride I saw where one guy on here traded a Roush for a Boss and said the Boss was a lot less harsh than the Roush. It is harsher than the GT but not by a whole lot. The Boss recovers from a bump faster than the GT. It was only rare occasions where the ride of the Boss got to me. I did lower the shock/strut settings from the factory setting of 2 to 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.