Ford Mustang Forum banner

Using Touch Up Paint

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  porschpow 
#1 ·
Has anyone used it? Is there a preffered way to use it. I am pretty weary of using it. I have a nick on my bumper (the top of it) that I need to fill and don't want to f it up.

Im pretty sure compound wont take of the whole thing

#2 ·
If you are OCD like me, then touch-up paint is very difficult to apply properly. No matter what you do, you will always see the area that was touched up. Before I installed my clear-bra I suffered a triple-tap of nasty stone chips right on the lip of my hood. They were deep enough that I was able to fill them in with touch up paint (from Ford) and then smooth them over with Langka.

Langka - Paint Chip Repair

It doesn't work miracles, and you will still be able to see where the stone chips were. However, it passes the 6 foot test more easily.

After the clearbra was installed I still wasn't satisfied with the appearance of the stone chipped area, so I stuck a stylized number "23" in black vinyl over the area. I think it looks pretty good and its my lucky number.

#5 ·
uSING TOUCH UP PAINT

Wasn't he a character on the old "Taxi" TV show? Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Haha. Someone edited their post to correct the spelling!!!

#7 ·
I bought a grabber blue camera spoiler on ebay and it had some chips on both ends. I balked and the seller refunded most of my money which was great. Bought the touchup paint and tried that along with a Micromark finishing kit which goes up to 12000 grit, works great for polishing model cars and guitar finishes. Anyway it looked like **** so I wound up having the dealer refinish the spoiler for twice what I had in the part. Live and learn I guess but if you are OCD in any way, the touch up paints don't look very good up close.

#8 ·
Crayons work very well...find your color, take a toothpick & remove with a little alcohol any wax residue....rub in a circle until the hole/chip is filled, then using a cloth/sponge with hot water, rub the surface until it flattens out smooth...wax over....paint fixed.

#9 ·
Very simple, do not use the brush but instead use a tooth pick. Flatten the tip a little and apply just enough paint to level the chip, this may take two applications but be patient. Allow to dry after each application then wait one hour. Now take three thousand wet and dry sandpaper with a spray bottle of soapy solution. Wet the sandpaper and paint surface then wet sand the chip area approx. three to four inches all around. Be careful to sand in a flat motion with out digging in or on the painted chip area. Sand only enough to flatten the applied paint and level with surrounding surface. Clean area with water let dry and now buff with rubbing compound. Apply wax and your done!

#10 ·
If its a small enough chip a sharpie marker works very well. Sounds crazy, but it works.

#11 ·
LOL SAharpie. Yeah I have a little chip on the door and am really reluctant to use sandpaper. Sounds like I would def F- it up!

#12 ·
I have use touch up paint, it's ok. You can still see it if you look hard.. Stupid damn people that park next to you even if you park far away.. It was only 1/4 scratch if that.. I did worse to them..

#13 ·
All, right. I always figured that darn brush that it came with was crap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.