Ford Mustang Forum banner

Springs

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Sharad 
#1 ·
I was at the track last Friday. Track prep isn't that great for T&T nights. A guy with a 10 second Mustang said the suspension parts I had were OK, but I need to lower the car for better launches. Do lowering springs really help on takeoff?

#2 ·
Same old answer as with everything in racing: it depends, and it's a compromise. If it helps get you AS%, IC, weight transfer, and all that to a more optimal setting, yes it helps. If it doesn't, it doesn't help.

Look up Kelly at BMR, he knows more about going in a straight line than I do, and his company makes lots of different springs.

#10 ·
csamsh I just wanted to thank you for all your knowledge of the 2010+ Stangs. Whether some people agree or disagree, it is nice to know someone that has had actual road experience helps my decision making in getting stang parts. In fact it was one of your posts that convinced me to re-look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Nice tire but looking at 2 others. Keep on Stangin!!!

rolsmile.gif

#3 ·
I didn't lower the car because of crappy roads and critters wandering out at night. I thought the stock springs would be more "flexible" than lowering springs with stiffer rates. But then again, I've been wrong before. A lot.

#5 ·
You can make the car work well without lowering it.

A good set of struts/shocks and the proper AS%/IC location settings....and it will work well.

So that said, "typically" on a stock height Auto car....this combo works REALLY well.

Strange S6009LM Front Struts
Strange S6008LM Rear Shocks
BMR UCA Mount
BMR UCA
BMR LCA

Start with the front struts (1) click from full loose. As in, turn the knob counterclockwise until it stops....then go (1) click clockwise.

With the rear shocks, start them at (8) clicks towards stiff / from loose.

On the UCA Mount, use the lower position on the bracket.

On the LCA - OEM position.

Send me vids, and we go from there. Easy?

#4 ·
Springs combined with your shock setup will make big differences in your launches, combined with other suspension components of course. You can put all the best stuff for a straight line setup on but I'd bet you probably won't be happy with the ride quality. Compromise it is.

#7 ·
Thanks for that info. The Konis are set on full soft in the front and full hard at the rear while at the track. Already have the non-adjustable BMR upper and lowers. And thanks for that recommendation. That solved a lot of launching issues. So I don't need the springs. The sad part is, I'm running M/T Pros. They hook good on the street. But I spin at the track. Best so far is 11.07@127.31. And I had to let off (Chickened Out) because the car started shaking at the top of 1st.

#9 ·
OT, but I'd doubt if you would do that at this track on T&T night. My last pass I had to let off as I broke loose. Got back on it and the car wiggled all the way down the track for an 11.44@127.11. My first pass was horrible as I had to let off twice. And wiggled all the way down that time. Bad. For a lousy 13.65. The car almost hooked one time. And didn't spin after it hooked. Tracked straight and true. Got a 11.07@127.41

#12 ·
That's what makes me mad. The M/T Pros hook on the street better than at the track. Just mash and go. At 30 PSI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.