Ford Mustang Forum banner

Preparing for My First Winter Storage - AM Discount?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Top Down Bruce 
#1 ·
Yes, it is now time to plan ahead. Last year, my first year with this car, I kept my mustang in the garage and daily driver in the driveway behind it. My decision on what proved to be the worst winter in over 30 years will not be repeated. That sucked bad. The mustang will be stored this winter in my dad's garage with a cover. He offered and I quickly said yes and thank you.

I was thinking of a cheap cover since it will be in the garage but really want the American Muscle 50th cover at $174.99. I would love to get a discount code to save some bucks.

What are you guys planning?

#2 ·
PM amdanbailer for the discount code.

#3 ·
Cheap cover from Walmart and a battery tender. Just like last year.

#4 ·
Yeah just run down to walmart and get a cheap cover. Dont need anything fancy. Just something to keep the dust off it. Even some old bed sheets would do the job.

#5 ·
My family, friends and I are natives of S.W. Michigan, right off Lake Michigan. We see more snow that you folks in Ohio can imagine. No one does anything special to their cars, as it isn't necessary. We take our fun cars out of the garage during the winter for little drives whenever the roads are completely clear, and nothing more needs to be done.

Just keep it garaged and drive it every few weeks when the roads are clear. Take for a nice little run every so often, and it's all good.

Hell, we even wash our cars in the driveway during the winter, by running the hose off the water heater. There's no need to "store" your car. Just park it in your father's garage and drive it when you can.

#6 ·
The road salt eats stuff up quick though. That's really the main reason I put mine away in the winter.

#9 ·
I hear that. After my first full year now, I do not even want to take it out on decent days in winter since road salt is bad here too often. Storing it will not be fun and it will be 50 miles away but I have a nice car and plan to keep it that way. Besides, my daily driver is not bad , a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, and needs to run too. That thing eats a foot of snow like it's a sunny day.

#11 ·
Its all worth storing you car. I did it for about 30 years when I was in upstate NY. I drove my 1969 Mach in the winter when going to college and it was rusted out in two winters. I would never think of driving anything but a junker in the salt. I could not afford a winter beater at the time. When you take it out in the spring you will think its like driving it for the first time.

#12 ·
This will be my first winter with a 2 vehicle setup, but my plan is to garage the Mustang any time it's less than ideal conditions outside. But there isn't always snow on the ground, and on those nice 20 degree sunny days, I will drive the Mustang to work. But that's what I love about having 2 vehicles, I only drive the Mustang in ideal conditions. If it's rainy, snowy, foggy, etc., drive the truck. If it's sunny and dry, why not have some fun. I'm just hoping we don't have snow for months at a time this winter, then I might never drive the Mustang.

#13 ·
The antique car guys all put BOUNCE in their upholstery which keeps mice away. You might also get one of those electronic pest chasers since your dad's garage might have "visitors".
The battery tender is also a good idea as well as changing the oil prior to storage so there are no acids in the crankcase.
The antique car guys also put something in their tail pipes to keep visitors out of that location.
Personally I use my cars on Long Island, NY whenever the roads are salt-free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.