Ford Mustang Forum banner

Whiteline Watts Link, Pinion Angle Disaster

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Norm Peterson 
#1 ·
I dropped off my car at a shop this morning to set my pinion angle. I don't know if its off, but I have steeda sport springs, so it might be. I get a call, the shop asks me if I knew about the loud banging my car makes. When I get to the shop they show me how my Whiteline watts link center bolt on the differential is hitting the brace bar. I try to tell them, that I don't think Whiteline would make a product that hit itself, and they must have adjusted my LCA's incorrectly. Turns out they adjusted the rear to have a -3 angle. That combined with the -1 angle on the drive shaft equals -4. Their opinion was that -3 minus -1 would equal -2. After not agreeing I was right, they adjusted the LCA's using my math, and the watts link no longer hit itself.

I'm so mad. I hope they didn't damage anything on the test drive. They didn't do an alignment after re-adjusting the LCA's and now my steering wheel is not straight. I think I will just measure the LCA's and make them equal. I don't wanna go back to that shop.

Thanks for reading this and letting me vent.

#2 ·
hmmmm . . . . pinion angle should be such a simple thing, but it gets overcomplicated with fancy math sometimes

part of the problem might have been using the LCA's to adjust pinion angle; that really should be done with the UCA, which rotates the differential/axle without moving it front to rear (as much)

#3 ·
I've never heard that using LCA's to adjust pinion angle was wrong. As a matter of fact, I've seen places selling adjustable LCA's say they are adjustable so you can set your pinion angle.
I think American Muscle says that in one of their videos.

Am I wrong?

#4 ·
you can do it with LCA's but you have to be very careful to keep the rear from getting cocked. If you do it with the UCA, you won't have that problem

#7 ·
#8 ·
I measured the LCA's and the passenger side is 5/16" longer than the driver side. So my wheel base is about 1/4" longer on the passenger side than the driver's side.

I have checked the measurements over and over. Any input would be appreciated. My car tracked perfectly with stock LCA's, which I assume where equal length.

#11 ·
I measured the LCA's and the passenger side is 5/16" longer than the driver side. So my wheel base is about 1/4" longer on the passenger side than the driver's side.

I have checked the measurements over and over. Any input would be appreciated. My car tracked perfectly with stock LCA's, which I assume where equal length.
You should correct that for sure -- at least adjust them so they are the same.

Then I'd re-think the need for adjusting the pinion angle. As I understand it, if you are using the stock 2-piece drive shaft, you really don't need to worry about the pinion angle. Someone please correct if needed. You might be better off adjusting the LCA's back to the original length.

#9 ·
WOW...... this is making my head hurt just trying to wrap my head around how messed up a car might be when the adjustments are ALL out of sync.

Seems to me it might be time to go back to stock lengths on EVERYTHING for a starting point and from there begin changing things to suit the new set up one move at a time.

If the shop you went to got this WRONG on their first attempt......no way, no how......would I ever consider going back.

This stuff should be EASY for the shop with actual experience.

Seems to me you might be well advised to just do it all yourself with guidance from the manufacturer of the parts you bought.

#10 ·
I totally agree that the pinion angle is absolutely best to be adjusted with an adjustable upper control arm = UCA.

Whoever adjusted your LCA's with one side being 5/16" longer than the other side is not a very knowledgeable mechanic. And I really question why Whiteline would recommend adjustable LCA's for the pinion angle. That just seems wrong and bad advice to market their LCA's. Makes me want to stay away from Whiteline. I trust BMR.

I have an issue with my rear Vogtland lowering springs (Bigger diameter than my OEM springs were) rubbing the body of my car(at rear of spring) when I go in and out of my driveway etc. and my rear axle thrust angle is not perfect. When I get the money I will be getting adjustable LCA's to pull the axle forward on both sides, fix the thrust angle to be perfect, and then readjust my UCA to lower my pinion angle to around -1. That would be the correct way to dial in your rear suspension components in my opinion.

#15 ·
I wouldn't be returning to that place Inspite - unless you sat and watched them I mean.....and I hope they didn't charge you for messing up and then fixing the car....no damage?

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.