Ford Mustang Forum banner

Did our values just drop?

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  scott9050 
#1 ·
when I bought my car in june kbb and nada were both in the 28k area, now showing the same milage I bought it with, they both reflect 25 ish. 3 Grand in 2 months ??? what the heck

anyone have any idea why?

My rear feels a bit sore

#2 ·
Yeah, imagine a V6 convertible. The drop mine took was just stupid. It's the time of year. It'll jump $2000 back north in March.

My brother recently sold his 2008 Porsche Cayman S, which he bought brand new and sold with 17,000 miles. His car would swing $5,000 in value north and south based on spring and fall.

#3 ·
Doesn't help that incentives have really increased as they try to push the remaining 2014s off of dealer lots.

#5 ·
At this point it is considered a year older, so a hit there, and when a new body design comes out for the new model year, the old body style takes an additional hit on top of being a year older.

#11 ·
when a new body design comes out for the new model year, the old body style takes an additional hit.
I have a feeling the 2015's are going to be a big sales flop. I had a 2015 Limited Edition ordered, then I saw a 2015, and was so disappointed I cancelled my order

So hope that will help the value of our cars

#7 ·
You got a double hit, a year older AND a new body style coming out this model year.

#9 ·
It's funny though, this may be the only financial hit that I couldn't care less about, a rare thing.

#12 ·
I really like my car.......but I have NO DELUSIONS about what I bought.

IT's a Mustang........ you buy 'em because they are fun to drive.

As a value it's pretty good.

As an investment it's the WORST!

Focus on the right thing here you'll enjoy owning........focus on the wrong thing and you'll feel the fool.

Even as cars go in general a Mustang is pretty bad in the depreciation dept.

It's a catch 22........the same thing that makes it fun to own ensures so many are built that when you sell you're always up against more than just a few similar cars for sale.

Honestly? I'm surprised the car can generate anything much on re-sale. The GT is the kind of car owners drive HARD and it has enough power to break things. I wouldn't even consider a used Mustang no longer under warranty.

This is a car where you have to be able to afford the price of the car without worrying about depreciation over those first few years.......or you need to commit yourself to the idea of owning it long enough to feel you got ALL of your money's worth out of it!

#20 ·
I really like my car.......but I have NO DELUSIONS about what I bought.

IT's a Mustang........ you buy 'em because they are fun to drive.

As a value it's pretty good.

As an investment it's the WORST!

Focus on the right thing here you'll enjoy owning........focus on the wrong thing and you'll feel the fool.

Even as cars go in general a Mustang is pretty bad in the depreciation dept.

It's a catch 22........the same thing that makes it fun to own ensures so many are built that when you sell you're always up against more than just a few similar cars for sale.

Honestly? I'm surprised the car can generate anything much on re-sale. The GT is the kind of car owners drive HARD and it has enough power to break things. I wouldn't even consider a used Mustang no longer under warranty.

This is a car where you have to be able to afford the price of the car without worrying about depreciation over those first few years.......or you need to commit yourself to the idea of owning it long enough to feel you got ALL of your money's worth out of it!

after reading this I suppose you are right. I don't feel quite as dumb anymore. I'll Just enjoy it for what it is and be happy that I had enough down to cover the ultra fast depreciation im experiencing.

hopefully after I pay it off I can still get a few thousand for the car, although at this rate, when the car is 5 years old it might be worth 5 grand smh

#16 ·
Yeah, we had one member here who stated that he only lost $1500 trading his GT after 6 months. Not sure anyone believed him. Even GT500`s lose more than that. Any car is a lousy investment unless you have a crystal ball. When I was a lot younger, we used to point & laugh at guys driving by in their Plymouth Superbirds, Dodge Daytonas and the like.

#18 ·
Not only does the 2015 looks disappoint me, kind of turning Japanese in a way, but that there are no real performance gains, even some losses when you consider the V6, made me glad to pull the trigger on my 14 convertible. Live rear axel and all, I think it's the best mustang yet and I'll take a lot less of a hit on a $25,000 mustang than I have on my $62,000 Mercedes!

#22 ·
Its not just happening with Mustang. I currently have a Challenger RT and its value has taken a pretty good hit recently too. Like mustang, there is a new one with all kinds of new stuff on it for 15 and I think that may be part of it. After driving a manual 5.0 a few weeks ago, I thought about trying to work a deal on a 14 stang and get back in one. My car was showing about 2K higher value then than it is now. So, I will probably just keep what I have. I do like it. It aint as fast as the 5.0 but it is cool too and I just couldn't stand taking a bath trading.

#24 ·
NADA shows mine as $27,350 trade in value. Since I only paid that OTD, I can live with that. These cars are deeply discounted right now, values will not bounce back or hold well until all inventory is gone. After that though it should stabilize. Don't expect to see $10,000 Coyote Mustangs anytime soon.

On that note, I bought mine to enjoy and I don't stress its current value except when Virginia comes calling during tax season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.