Ford Mustang Forum banner

Rear differential

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  spanny 
#1 ·
Just took my 2012 Mustang in, the rear differential went out at 34,000 miles. I've been reading up, some saying its an indication of the kiss of death for a car. Luckily it was still under the factory warranty, otherwise it would have been a costly repair.

With a major repair going in this early, is it a sign that I should part ways with it?

#2 ·
A differential issue can be caused by a lot of different things. What exactly went out on it?

If it is the stock clutches inside the trak-lok, that is a wearable item that will need to be replaced at some point in the life of the differential. Mileage can vary greatly depending on how you drive it.

My opinion, I would not count a differential as a major repair, while it is a larger item to replace/rebuild, it is not a lot of $$'s for repair. You should not get rid of a car over this reason. If you stock, minor issues come up, that is just the way things work, nothing is perfect from the factory. If something on the engine was going out or you were having constant issues with something new each week/month, then maybe I would be getting concerned that there is an issue.

Either way, glad it was covered under warranty. I just completely rebuilt my 11 rear end, and I chose to swap in a TrueTrac, 4.10s, and Moser axles.

#3 ·
NO, not a kiss of death for the car and NO, not a reason to part ways with it IMO. Over the years, I've replaced/rebuilt engines, transmissions, rear axles and never got rid of the vehicle for that reason.

#5 ·
I wouldn't worry about the diff going out. Its really not that big of a repair. I would be glad is was under warranty.

#6 ·
Should a diff go out at that mileage, no, but stuff happens. When I buy a car/truck, I say, would I put another engine or transmission in it? If you would not, get rid of it.

#7 ·
I have a 2013 GT and mine was making a metal to metal noise. Took it in under warranty for repair. That sound is gone but now it makes a totally different and louder sound. A whining noise only when I take my foot off the Gas slowing down. The service guy said the typical thing. (Mustangs just make that noise). A load of bull. I decided to just sound proof the trunk area so I hopefully wont hear it as much!

#8 ·
A whine backing off the gas equals excessive backlash in the gear set, make them fix it or IT WILL break again. There are two things a good tech needs to do setting up a set of gears, shimming the pinion so it is positioned dead balls in the center the ring gear, and number two, setting the backlash (tooth depth) so the pinion bears dead balls into the center of the ring gear tooth, the ring is shimmed left to right. The pinion must be torqued correctly so the crush sleeve exerts proper tension on the pinion bearings. Most techs do not measure pinion depth they just throw the original stack of shims back in from the original pinion, not a good procedure, due to manufacturing tolerances of the pinion, that may or MAY NOT work.

#9 ·
The differential is ONE part of a car. Just because something goes wrong with that particular part, has absolutely nothing to do with the integrity of the other components.

So relax, and enjoy ! Like you said, warranty covered it.

#11 ·
Not to worry. Believe it or not, everything posted on the internet is not always valid lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.