Is the Ford Maintenance Plan worth it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Is the Ford Maintenance Plan worth it?

Hello

I just got my first Ford Mustang as a certified car this Friday. It's a 2012 base V6 and has 36K miles on it currently. The finance manager sold me on this maintenance plan and the tire hazard plan which I thought was worth at the time.
But I'm now thinking if I made the right decision.

I plan to keep the car for 6-7 years, and don't know how to do the service myself so it has to be done somewhere. The only thing I know how to do is replacing air filter.

The finance person told me the Ford Maintenance Plan costs him $995 and he has to sell it to me for atleast $150 profit, so the price I paid was $1145. He told me in long run all these maintenance costs would add up to $1800, and since it's just added to my monthly payment I agreed to add it. It's for 6 years/100K miles with 7.5k miles interval

I also got the tire hazard protection for $195. I got 2 blowouts in one year on my 08 civic I had before, so I thought it was definitely worth for this one. It's for 5 years

So anyone who has had a mustang, do you think it was worth it? Also how much you paid for these?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharry View Post
Hello

I just got my first Ford Mustang as a certified car this Friday. It's a 2012 base V6 and has 36K miles on it currently. The finance manager sold me on this maintenance plan and the tire hazard plan which I thought was worth at the time.

I plan to keep the car for 6-7 years, and don't know how to do the service myself so it has to be done somewhere. The only thing I know how to do is replacing air filter.

The finance person told me the Ford Maintenance Plan costs him $995 and he has to sell it to me for atleast $150 profit, so the price I paid was $1145. He told me in long run all these maintenance costs would add up to $1800, and since it's just added to my monthly payment I agreed to add it. It's for 6 years/100K miles with 7.5k miles interval

I also got the tire hazard protection for $195. I got 2 blowouts in one year on my 08 civic I had before, so I thought it was definitely worth for this one. It's for 5 years

So anyone who has had a mustang, do you think it was worth it? Also how much you paid for these?
Thanks in advance!
Given the paint will bubble on your hood, you will have control arm problems, your water pump is only good for around 40,000 miles, along with a number of other problems these cars are having, yes the extra warranty is worth it.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

No one knows......I don't buy these types of plans but if my car needs work I can afford to fix it. I only buy insurance on things I can't afford to replace easily (house/health) My car I have a high deductible. What I will suggest is to at least Google search the plan. You can buy them online for a good price if you want it. The wtty is backed by Ford, it don't matter who you get it from.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharry View Post
Hello

Thanks in advance!
Instead of the dealer tire protection plan, I would have gone to discount tire and got their warrenty ~$25 a tire. If your tire is unrepairable then you get a new tire for free plus the ~$25 warrenty for that tire too.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014
GT Member

Up to you I agree on tire but doubt it on extended warranty.....the factory is 5/50 covering major the extended covers more but if you got a 6 year it is only giving you one more year and car is already 3-4 years old.

If they would offer a 10 year extended that would be something!

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Did you buy an extended warranty, or did you buy a prepaid maintenance plan? Big difference between the two. Extended warranties are rarely worth it. Prepaid maintenance plans can be if you will have the exact same work done anyway, paying rates in excess of what that work costs as a part of the plan.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
Did you buy an extended warranty, or did you buy a prepaid maintenance plan? Big difference between the two. Extended warranties are rarely worth it. Prepaid maintenance plans can be if you will have the exact same work done anyway, paying rates in excess of what that work costs as a part of the plan.
I bought the maintenance plan and felt it wasn't worth it after I did the math. I get all scheduled maintenance for 3 years or 36,000 miles. Given this is basically just oil changes and fluids topped, given the intervals are every 5,000 miles, I will only use it 7 times. It costed me $400. That is $400 for 7 oil changes. And that is a best case scenario. In reality I will be driving the car less than 5,000 miles a year. Meaning at best I will be getting 3 oil changes and tire rotations for $400. I wish I had thought that one through before I paid for it.

Now the extended warranty, after reading this forum, I think was a steal at $800. I will be needing it to pay for my new hood, replacing my water pump, replacing my control arms, and whatever else I am about to find out commonly goes wrong with these cars. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the interior so I will be out of luck when the vinyl falls off of my door panels.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014
Apprentice

I don't think its worth it for the shorter terms. I got it for 60 months & 60k, since I tend to average 1k per month. I was on the fence, since oil changes, wipers, brakes aren't that expensive, but was pushed over when I saw the clutch plate was listed, I figured with this being my first manual car, I would wear the clutch out within 60k. However, most likely the rotors will need replacing during the brake replacement and there are a ton of other charges for a full clutch replacement which are not included. The plan includes a lot, but most items you won't need to replace within the period. Plus, you need to intend on keeping the vehicle for the entire period. So I paid $1045 for 60 month 60k plan. I might break even during the length of the plan, but I kinda regret it. It's nice that I don't have to worry about any service fees, but I think I'd rather keep that money.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
SOLD -- 2014 Base GT 6 Speed Manual
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I got the Ford maintenance plan. Not the warranty.
Paid $1145 for it, 7.5K miles interval and it's valid for 6 years/100K miles. I drive about 15K a year
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/maintenance/Premium_Maintenance_Brochure.pdf

I bought a 2011 when they first came out. I was sold "all the maintenance service" for 100,000. Nobody mentioned any time limit. They outright lied. I paid about $1800 for oil changes. Of course all the people involved in the sale are long gone. I bought 2 new cars and got screwed on both. Now they have lost a customer for life and a potential sale in the near future.
All I can say is that most of those "deals" are scams. I may sue them for fraud since they didn't disclose what I was really buying and told me specifically that it was prepaying for ALL the maintenance for 100,000 miles.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Jim View Post
I bought a 2011 when they first came out. I was sold "all the maintenance service" for 100,000. Nobody mentioned any time limit. They outright lied. I paid about $1800 for oil changes. Of course all the people involved in the sale are long gone. I bought 2 new cars and got screwed on both. Now they have lost a customer for life and a potential sale in the near future.
All I can say is that most of those "deals" are scams. I may sue them for fraud since they didn't disclose what I was really buying and told me specifically that it was prepaying for ALL the maintenance for 100,000 miles.
My wife drives a lot, her extended warranty has saved us about $1100 overall with out of warranty repairs. It depends on the car.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Jimbo,

they didn't tell you, but it prob was written down in what you signed....or at least said Ford ESP plan where it is written.

Nice use of search, welcome to AFM and we expect pics from newbies

Mud

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

VERY seldom are maintenance plans worth it or even close. Usually total junk designed to drop off right before the first "major" service.

Only exception I encountered was with Mini Cooper, usually the clutch would go before 60k and they were beastly. I always gave my customers this info and option, many took it, and I did quite a few warranty clutches back then, and brakes too. Any other car I would advise my customers I would not do it, that is all they needed to hear.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Until the Mustangs, I never purchased this type of protection before. I finally did with both Mustangs, mainly based on all concerns about the MT-82 that nearly broke the internet circa 2010-2015. I have both the service plan and the extended warranty on both cars. The service plan has been great, all I do is drop off the car(s), they change the oil, filters, wipers-things of that nature. I pick it up, sign on the bottom line and drive off. No fuss, no credit cards, no nothing.

The extended warranty really hasn't done me any good-yet-on either car. Both regular warranties have expired, and the only warrantable concern I have had with either car has been the bubbling paint on Kona. The dealership ended up making it right on their own accord, and only charged me the $100 which I would have had to have paid if the extended warranty had actually covered it itself.

The tire plan I didn't buy, as it probably wouldn't have been worth the paper its printed on. I mean, tires wear, do they not? Regardless of when the plan is invoked, your still going to have to pay percentage of the bill to replace the tire that was punctured, cut (etc) and if the entire set of tires were old enough, you'll have to replace the other 3 tires to have a matched set age wise. You can rest assured the plan isn't going to replace the other 3 non-damaged tires. I haven't looked at the plan but I also would think they would insist on OEM tires, and it was really worth it to me to just go ahead and purchase my own Michelins instead of that Pirelli junk our cars come with (ymmv of course).

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page