Hood Struts with Aftermarket Fiberglass Hood - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
garya's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 151
 
Hood Struts with Aftermarket Fiberglass Hood

Hey guys, I just purchased a new fiberglass hood due to the awful corrosion on my stock hood and was wondering what people are using for hood struts due to the fiberglass hood being a little heavier than the aluminum hood?


2011 Ford Mustang V6
garya is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015
PONY Member
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Gratiot
Posts: 777
 
I have a fiberglass one on my car and the CDC struts wouldn't hold it up. But if you call MRT and get their struts, and tell them that you have a fiberglass hood, they can set you up with a different tube that will hold. When they put the turbo on my car last year I walked in to check the progress and the car was on the lift - with the hood up and no prop rod. I noticed it right away and Scott said "yeah, we took care of that".


2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
JimC is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
garya's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 151
 
Oh thats a cool bonus for you lol!! You havent noticed any hood bow with the struts on? And do you have to lift the hood about 12" before the struts kick in? They just bolt in on your OEM hood hinges?

2011 Ford Mustang V6
garya is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015
GT Member
 
Blackpenguin69's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: west texas
Posts: 2,391
 
if you already have the redline struts you could get these. Redline Tuning Mustang Black Hood Brackets/Hardware 2005-2014

If not, then i would probably go for a bracket type like the roush.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Blackpenguin69 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
garya's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 151
 
I currently do have the Redline hood struts for my stock hood but I am a little nervous about drilling and riveting into my new Trufiber hood! Im sure its not to bad but i was wondering if anybody else has experiance with the braket type struts like MRT on there aftermarket hood? I have heard positive things on the MRTs!

2011 Ford Mustang V6
garya is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015
Rookie
 
Josh@MRT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Plymouth www.shopmrt.com
Posts: 39
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya View Post
Hey guys, I just purchased a new fiberglass hood due to the awful corrosion on my stock hood and was wondering what people are using for hood struts due to the fiberglass hood being a little heavier than the aluminum hood?
Hello

Nice upgrade to the fiberglass hood . should post some pictures when it is painted and installed .

Now for the aftermarket hoods MRT does offer some options for hood struts that accommodate the weight difference of the fiber glass hood . We can simply replace the standard 88lb cylinders with a different weighted cylinder for your application when you place your order. We offer a few different cylinder weight options and the best way to get the appropriate cylinder is find out the weight of the hood from the manufacturer .

If you have any questions on the hood strut kits please feel free to contact me anytime at the Shop my name is Josh and I will be more than happy to get you setup with a set to fit your application .

Joshua Barth
MRT sales / Project Manager
734.455.5807
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
garya's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 151
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello

Nice upgrade to the fiberglass hood . should post some pictures when it is painted and installed .

Now for the aftermarket hoods MRT does offer some options for hood struts that accommodate the weight difference of the fiber glass hood . We can simply replace the standard 88lb cylinders with a different weighted cylinder for your application when you place your order. We offer a few different cylinder weight options and the best way to get the appropriate cylinder is find out the weight of the hood from the manufacturer .

If you have any questions on the hood strut kits please feel free to contact me anytime at the Shop my name is Josh and I will be more than happy to get you setup with a set to fit your application .
Hey thanks Josh, I appreciate your feedback and insight into this matter! I actually just called the manufacturer today and they informed me the fiberglass hood weighs 35 lbs! Do you have the appropriate cyclinder for that weight? Thanks again and look forward to your reply! I will be looking to place a order in the upcoming week or so

2011 Ford Mustang V6
garya is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015
Rookie
 
Josh@MRT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Plymouth www.shopmrt.com
Posts: 39
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya View Post
Hey thanks Josh, I appreciate your feedback and insight into this matter! I actually just called the manufacturer today and they informed me the fiberglass hood weighs 35 lbs! Do you have the appropriate cyclinder for that weight? Thanks again and look forward to your reply! I will be looking to place a order in the upcoming week or so
With a 35 lb hood , the standard 88 lb cylinder would work for your application . If for some reason there end up being an issue , were say the weight of the hood was incorrect we could always swap out the cylinders for a different option .

I would make sure that they gave you the actual hood weight and not the shipping weight if they gave you the shipping weight I would say it would be safe to assume there is at least 5lb of shipping material . If that is the case then you would need the 56 lb cylinders instead.
Please feel free to contact me anytime at the shop .
Mustang Racing Technologies Inc.
Joshua
Barth
MRT sales / project manager .

Joshua Barth
MRT sales / Project Manager
734.455.5807
[email protected]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1