Cost/Benefit analysis: Keep the '11 GT or trade it for 2015 in while possible? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Cost/Benefit analysis: Keep the '11 GT or trade it for 2015 in while possible?

Hey, guys.
I posted this over on the TMS forums this morning too...I don't mean to double up but it might be a worthwhile discussion here too!! Any thoughts are welcome:

How have you guys considered this quandry? How did you make your decision?

I'm astonishingly stuck straight in the middle on this one:
Keep my 2011 GT BBP with 22,000 miles or trade it while the trading is good?

I had a test drive of a '15 GT PP/6spd car back in the fall [/url](detailed in a thread in the 2015 forum) and I liked it...better in many objective ways than my 2011 GT but not as much fun in other subjective measures. Regardless of how close these cars are on paper, the 2015 certainly didn't feel as quick as my S197.
I wasn't blown away.

Pros of keeping the '11:
No more car payments
I really like the bodystyle and the way the car looks, drives, sounds
I'll have a budget to start modding

Cons of keeping the '11:
22,000 miles means I'm getting near some major expenses
Will need $1200 of tires in the spring
Early build 2011 could mean that I'm on borrowed time with failures
Suspension mods I want will be like a $20 shine on a $3 pair of boots

Pros of trading in for a 2015:
Low mileage/condition of my '11 resulted in a good trade offer (for now)
Starting over with a fresh warranty
Car will handle better in stock form than '11 will with mods
Much cheaper to opt for Recaro seats in a '15 than to add them to '11
Vastly improved Coyote engine with greater potential for mods
Performance Pack equipment is very desirable
Improved MT82
Track apps and access all that lovely data would be fun- costly to add to '11

Cons of trading in for a 2015
I'll have to finance a portion of the purchase price (~35% or so)
I'll have to say goodbye to a car I really like
Very likely to be significant upgrades for '16/'17 (as has been the pattern)
I dislike the idea of a slower accelerating, heavier car
Just can't get my head around the looks...
Honestly, this is a great problem to have. I love my S197...I'd love the '15 too.

What are your thoughts? Why did you decide to keep your S197?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
The first thing you stated would be the factor for me.

No more car payments.

2007 Saleen S281 3-valve #170
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
GT Member

You have to look at total cost of ownership if you really want to compare-insurance, maintainance etc then divide by amount of time you had the car.

I.e. car cost me $20k after trade-in, had it 48 months, so it cost me $416 a month of ownership, compare to what the new one will cost, how long will you keep it.

The shorter you keep a new car usually costs more since you have a lot of depreciation first 3-5 years, tapers off after that.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Keep the '11. It's better looking!

Current: '82 GT T-top, '95 GT, '07 Conv.
Past: '65 Coupe, '66 Fastback, '67 Conv, '68 Coupe
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
PONY Member

For me the number one thing is which car looks be to you. Own the one you think looks best. You will always have to buy tires around every 50,000 miles. If you really like the current car, diving into payments agains will be awful disappointing just to reset the odometer. I doubt you'll have big upcoming expenses on the current car. I've owned a 2007, 2008, 2012 and now have a 2011. The 2008 was a GT/CS and I put 125,000 miles on it. The only thing other than putting tires on it, oil/filter changes was around 100,000 miles I had a knocking in the front end that was sway bar links. That's the only other maintenance I had to do to the car. When I traded it in, the brake pads still looked brand new!

2011 White V6 Premium Convertible Mustang
Automatic Transmission
Ford Navigation
Stone Leather Heated Seats
Reverse Camera
Magnaflow Street Axle Back Mufflers
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
MACH I Member

Keep in mind that the 2015 will have the same "first year model" problems as your 2011. If your 2011 is fine then you most likely avoided those problems and by buying another first year model you will be rolling the dice once again.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Figures don't lie, but liars can figure . . . .

Buying a new car is pretty much never better on a real objective cost basis. The new car is always going to cost more. (unless you are trading in a used Ferrari for a new Toyota or something like that)

On the benefit side, it is subjective, here's where the figuring comes in . . . I can "cost/benefit" justify just about anything, all I have to do is increase the benefit score to justify what I want.

So it really comes down to what you want, and if you can fork over the cash to get it.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
Apprentice

I would personally wait on getting the Mustang as many have mentioned in here...let the bugs get worked out. I didn't like the new body style 10-14 Mustangs came out, took a few years for me to warm up to them. That could be that same case with the 15.

Buying a car is emotional and if you are not dead in love with it when you see it and then even more so not impressed when you drive it....then why buy it?

I would keep your 11 and put some cash away and when they start adding some new features and improvements in the next few years, you might be able to walk in with cash and just buy it outright.

My 2 cents.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
Rookie

Keeping my '11; less than 10,000 miles and still looks/smells NEW!

2011 5.0 Convertible Premium, Black, Auto, Acc Pkg #6; GT500 Axle Backs, FRPP Tune.
2017 Escape Titanium AWD (Winter Driver).
PONY Member

I would wait until at least next year and keep what you have for now. The 2016 is going to have a year to work out the kinks with the new style. Not to mention, Microsoft Sync will be gone to a new system soon.

Plus, you have no car payments!!!!! That's awesome! You don't have to have the latest and greatest to keep up with the Jones when you have a fully capable car right now that's paid off that hangs with the new model. (Sorry, but I feel bad for those guys with the pre-2011 models..)

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
GT Member

The smart money says keep the current car until you can pay cash for a new one. However, smart money is not always fun money. Do what you think suits you best. I will tell you, I wish I would have kept my 2011 GT. It was a good car despite its few flaws.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkandgud View Post
(Sorry, but I feel bad for those guys with the pre-2011 models..)
Don't feel TOO bad for us... My three ponies:

Current: '82 GT T-top, '95 GT, '07 Conv.
Past: '65 Coupe, '66 Fastback, '67 Conv, '68 Coupe
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

You guys are awesome...I can't thank you enough for sharing your advice and wisdom.

After reading this thread, I'm honestly tipping back to keeping the S197...biting the bullet and ordering up my Michellin Pilot Supersports and that Bilstein kit from Vorshlag and focusing on the car that made me so happy for the past four summers.

If nothing else, the "wait and see what happens in '16" advice may be the tipping point.

Thank you all.

Any additional thoughts on the topic are welcome...
PONY Member

Yeah lol I only give you that advice because I'm in the same situation now as you....I kinda wanna get the 15 but I'm thinking to myself. "Wait...wait wait..wait"

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
GT Member

The ford i got mine at just emailed me about Mustang owners can get employee pricing right now. If you trade or sell it and put it all as a downpayment, you would be looking at next to nothing a month for the new one.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page