Replacing MMD hood struts anyone know the length? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Replacing MMD hood struts anyone know the length?

I'm needing to replace my mmd hood struts with some stronger ones and was wondering if anyone could tell me the length or size that they are to replace them with I called american muscle but they couldn't tell me

>1988 Mustang GT "Ronda" 5.0 FRPP E303 cam converted to MAF CAI 2in cowl hood hood pins black pony wheels
>2015 Mustang GT "Raven" 5.0 50th Anniversary Package
>*Sold* 2012 Mustang GT "Nicole"
>*Sold* 2006 Mustang GT "Janie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Get a set of Redline struts. Factory hood? If not, I'm not sure if they are any stronger than the MMD.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015
GT Member

cant you just measure yours?

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
cant you just measure yours?
yep . . . I recently bought similar struts for a boat lid . . . they are measured by the closed and open size, and they come in standard length increments, so you should be able to eye-ball how much of the inner rod is sticking out when the hood is closed; measure the outer part ; and you should be able to get close enough

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks I'll try measuring it but no it's a cervini fiber glass hood which apparently weighs more

>1988 Mustang GT "Ronda" 5.0 FRPP E303 cam converted to MAF CAI 2in cowl hood hood pins black pony wheels
>2015 Mustang GT "Raven" 5.0 50th Anniversary Package
>*Sold* 2012 Mustang GT "Nicole"
>*Sold* 2006 Mustang GT "Janie"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

so you want a heavier duty strut . . .

they are rated for pound force ; not sure how you find out what you have now . . . you could try taking one off, and pushing it on a bathroom scale, to see how much force it takes to compress it

this would also allow you to really measure the extended and compressed length

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Mine are very slow in cold weather, but have no trouble holding up the stock hood.

Ain't no way they should wear out!

Besides, I do not care what brand they are sold under, they all come from China!

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Redline says that their struts work with any hood. From their web page: QuickLIFT systems work with any hood (steel, fiberglass, SMC, carbon fiber etc.).

2005-2014 Ford Mustang Hood QuickLIFT PLUS - Aftermarket Hoods Only

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015
GT Member

If i took one of my redlines off, it would still lift the hood easily. Theres no way a fiberglass hood should be any different.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hood struts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in