Na build - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Na build

Hey all i am in need of long tube header suggestions. I have now the cat back flow master outlaw set up and am looking to finish the exhaust. I have a NA build with boss 302 intake and airriad cai. Also plans to cam thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015
BOSS Member

IMHO,

Headers.........

In general, the head plate should be at least 3/8" (1/2" is best), tubing should be at least 16 gauge (14 is best).....otherwise leaks and burn-though are going to be a problem as well as the longetivity of the headers.

Cam and valvetrain.....

Given the criticality of the component- IMHO, I don't like speaking to a catalog parts sale person- they really don't know any more about the cam than what they are reading- companies like Summit, while their bulk purchase agreements are great for price, when it comes to making an engine breathe, there are so many variable including elevation, humidity, fuel blends/available octane, most cam mfgs will vary a "core grind pattern" to match the external impactors in addition to the internal impactors- which today IMHO makes the different between and engine that runs well, to one that just seems to run a little bit better, smoother and gets better mileage than expected.

I highly recommend Iskenderian & Crower & Chet Herbert & Lunati...all are family owned, been grinding cams for decades, and both will even re-grind your oem cam if possible- saving you even more $. Isky still to this day inspects/test every valve spring before it leaves the shop!!!!!

I would avoid Comp like the plague............Comp (IMHO) is a mass production (McDonald's type) company which - seems to have experience more cam lobe failures than most and places the blame on the low ZDDP in the oils...then experiences valve spring failure, and it just does a cycle.

With regards to their cams billets, I highly suspect that they are also using Chinese & they do not include Parkerizing their cams unless you want to pay extra for it (Parkerizing is the final step and a crucial step to help break the cam in- a heated acid bath that microscopically etches the metal surface and adds a very thin layer of graphite coating which allows the cam lube to hang onto and penetrate into the cam surface during cam break in) unless you specifically request and pay additional money for it.

This is a not so unusual posting about Comp and their components…..
RIP, Camshaft.... - Vintage Mustang Forums

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertv789 View Post
Hey all i am in need of long tube header suggestions. I have now the cat back flow master outlaw set up and am looking to finish the exhaust. I have a NA build with boss 302 intake and airriad cai. Also plans to cam thoughts?

Thanks!
Hey Bert,

Looks like you're building a fun little coyote there!

I have a 2014 Track Pack 5.0 personally and run the Stainless Works Long Tube Headers and Off-Road X-Pipe Kit.

I absolutely love them. They sound great, installed relatively easy (for longtubes) and made awesome power.

I put down 416 RWHP and 398 lb-ft of torque with nothing but intake (stock manifold), exhaust, and a tune. With your boss manifold you will be making even more!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

ARH. Expensive, and worth it.

Not to say there aren't other good companies- but with headers, you really get what you pay for.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
ARH. Expensive, and worth it.

Not to say there aren't other good companies- but with headers, you really get what you pay for.
+1. You get what you pay for in the "header" world. I was between ARH and Bassani. Went Bassani to complete my settup (Already had the midpipe, etc...). Couldn't be happier.

Whatever you choose, you'll need the corresponding midpipe. Your current catback midpipe won't bolt to any of the longtube brands w/out spending some good cash at an exhaust shop. Look into whatever new X or H pipe you desire from the Header manufacturer you decide to go with.

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey Will,

Thanks for the info. I definitely need to do more research but those headers look very intriguing. Do you know anything about cams?

Bert
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertv789 View Post
Hey Will,

Thanks for the info. I definitely need to do more research but those headers look very intriguing. Do you know anything about cams?

Bert
Hey Bert,

What would you like to know !

I've had a few cammed cars and am sure I can point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to hearing back.

-Will

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

Cams....I wouldn't cam a coyote unless you're just trying to make a dyno queen. I've yet to see a solid dyno curve from a cammed coyote that doesn't give up a ton of low end and midrange in order to make 500RPM worth of power up top. Stick with the stock stuff and the driveability and broad torque. That's what I'd do.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page