Is there a huge difference between a 2011 Mustang v6 & v8? - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I didn't even consider or drive the V6 when I went to buy my Mustang. The extra power and sound of the V8 were worth the extra cost of admission. I also didn't want a premium model Mustang which helped keep the cost down.

This car is not my DD so I didn't care about the gas mileage and I only pay $64 a month for insurance.

It is all about what you want in a car and can afford. What the rest of us think really doesn't matter.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHave14 View Post
Buying ANY pony car comes with enough compromises from the start to argue for a different car.

For those of us willing to accept the lack of a back seat worth a damn and the summer only usefulness of RWD......
Geeze, what would you have done before FWD came along? hehehe.

Rookie

Garage
I bought a 2011 Premium V6 conv and loved it. The 310 hp does rather well and it was a lot fun to drive. Gas mileage was excellent so I really liked the combination of good power and good gas mileage.

It was not my DD so in 5 years I only put 10k miles on it. When I traded it in for a 2015 I decided that since I didn't put that many miles on the old one I would get the GT this time. The sound of that 5.0 is just awesome, although living in the DC area the power difference is not usable most of the time. The major difference I think has little to do with the engine and more to do with the improved handling of the lower, wider stance and independent rear suspension.

I would say if money is a major factor go with the v6. You would stil be driving an awesome looking Mustang that is no slouch.

Black 2018 GT Premium Convertible

Rookie

I bought a new '15 GT Premium with the 50th Anniversary package about 3 months ago. Even though I wasn't really in the market I got an offer for a company discount (I work for a huge global telecommunications firm). I stopped at our giant Ford dealer here in town and I ended up driving home in a Ruby Red GT Premium 50th Anniversary model. I traded in my '06 GT with 4.10 rear, flashed chip, cold air intake, etc. During the test drive I could tell the huge difference within 1/8th of a mile. It really is that much better, not to mention all of the electronic options that were included that make it that much better. My '06 was very quick and fun, and I only had 22K on the clock. It still looked like a new car, but there's really mot much of a comparison between the 4.6 3-valve and the 5.0. When I bought my '06, I test drove one of the V-6 models with over 300HP and I was impressed, but there's no substitute for that V8 power and sound. Prior to the '06 I had a '91 5.0 LX and I got over 175K trouble-free miles out of that car. I never look down on anyone who opts for the V6, but I have always loved American made V8 cars and the IRS makes it that much better and then some. So far the only mods that I've made have been adding a strut tower/firewall brace, lower front K-member brace, Oil separator and Ford motorsports by Borla cat-back exhaust. Eventually, I might add the rear K-member braces and even larger anti sway bars, but it works so well right now that I don't see the need. I knew that I didn't really need the performance package since I'm not tracking my car, but I've added some of those parts and the strut tower/firewall brace and lower front K-member brace definitely stiffened up the front end and seemed to help the incredible brakes work even better. You can't really go wrong either way.
Rookie

Yes, there is a difference. I was shopping for the same car as you, but what I found was that I could buy a 2014 V6 for several hundred dollars less than the 2011 GTs and my 14 had only 5000 miles as opposed to 25,000 or more for the GTs. 305 HP in my V6 and I am getting 28 MPG on the highway at 80 Mph 24.6 in town. For me, I got the looks, the speed, the economy, a warranty and saved a little money as opposed to buying a higher mileage car that has already been romped on for 25,000 miles by a previous owner. You won't regret the GT, but my V6 will run down the highway at the same legal speed, look just as good and save me money. oh, and my insurance is cheaper too.
Red 3-7 likes this.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The 2011+ V6 Mustang is a great car, and with the Performance Package, it will out brake and out corner a GT. Track times still won't catch a GT, simply because the massive torque of the Coyote just out classes the V6, even as good as it is. (The stock GT beat an M3 with Randy Probst behind the wheel, it's a fantastic car.) However, the V6 PP is basically the same body and suspension with bits from both the GT and GT500, minus 100 Hp and 100 lb/ft Tq, and with a 305 Hp Ford/Mazda race-bred V6 under the hood, it is a visceral experience that can't be understated. It corners like it's on rails, the braking is highly confidence inspiring, and with a quality set of cans, the V6 has a very enjoyable howl of it's own, especially above 4k or so. It's simply a great car, and should be on anyone's short list of affordable performance sports coupes.

Is there a huge difference between the GT and the V6 PP? Fully loaded, it comes down to 100 Hp and 100 lb/ft Tq. What that equates to for you is entirely up to how you will use it. If you will be going to the drag strip or track a lot, think that any engine with less than 8 cylinders is doing it wrong, regularly need to evade Ninja assassins in a fleet of Dodge Challengers, and have to have the ultimate everything and you aren't willing to compromise, go for the GT. If you will be using the car primarily to commute back and forth from work, don't go to the drag strip, don't street race with Ninjas, don't need the latest ultimate everything, and have other life priorities, get the 2011+ V6 Mustang, preferably with the Performance Package. It's still one of the best sports car bargains available, and your extra $6000 can go into your 401k/College Savings/IRA.

If you're just trolling all of us to start a flame war, I think you failed.
Mac The Knife likes this.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium Coupe, Red Candy Metallic, MCA Edition, Performance Package

Go: Bama 93P Tune, Airaid MXP CAI, FRPP Sport Exhaust
Show: Suntek Carbon 35, GT500 Splash Guards, Redline Goods Shift and E-brake Boots
SHELBY GT 350 Member

An older thread brought back and I like Red's note that if you were trying to troll it was a fail.

I did see OP was a one post wonder........
Red 3-7 likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Rookie

I have the v6, and have never regretted it. however, mine has all of the Performance Pack, so you get the 3:31 rear, stiffer suspension and larger brakes. My Performance pack car has yet to be taken by the V8 cars on short road courses, but it is no match in the stoplight- to-stoplight races. If you love the twists, you will enjoy a lighter car with a stiff suspension. I will be honest, I have never driven a base model V6.
Just my 2 cents.
Red 3-7 likes this.

All Ford family.
2005 F250 6.0 238,xxx miles and counting
2007 Focus ZX3 279,xxx miles and counting
2013 GHIG V6 Performance Package 6MT 173,xxx miles and counting
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
An older thread brought back and I like Red's note that if you were trying to troll it was a fail.

I did see OP was a one post wonder........
I`ll leave it open..........For Now!

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
BOSS Member

Garage
I'm constantly kicking myself for buying GT Mustangs when there is obviously a better choice out there.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
I'm constantly kicking myself for buying GT Mustangs when there is obviously a better choice out there.
I guess I am a cheapskate, but daily driving a GT or GT500 seems like burning money to me. I feel bad enough racking up the miles on my MCA Edition Performance Package, but so be it. It might seem nuts, but a GT would be more of a weekend driver to me, and a GT500 would be driven only in the dry, garaged, and passed on to my heirs.

Would I love to have the 5.0? Sure, but not for the extra $5k+. My ultimate car at the time I bought my Mustang was a 2012 GT/CS, but the price tag was more than I wanted to pay, so I opted for the 2012 Performance Package MCA Edition V6 in Red Candy. I got the CS wheels (best Mustang wheels ever), great handling, and all for a great price.

Regardless of options, the 2011-2014 Mustangs are some of the best ever built by Ford, and are engineered to a high standard, and built with exceptional quality. You can't go wrong no matter which one you go with. As with any large purchase, weigh all of the options, do the research, and choose the car that works for you. Don't buy something because other people tell you that you need it, ever.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium Coupe, Red Candy Metallic, MCA Edition, Performance Package

Show: Suntek Carbon 35, GT500 Splash Guards, Redline Goods Shift and E-brake Boots
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 3-7 View Post
I guess I am a cheapskate, but daily driving a GT or GT500 seems like burning money to me. I feel bad enough racking up the miles on my MCA Edition Performance Package, but so be it. It might seem nuts, but a GT would be more of a weekend driver to me, and a GT500 would be driven only in the dry, garaged, and passed on to my heirs.

I bought a base GT for the weight savings and to drive daily. I drive in D.C. area traffic with a 6M and love every second of it. I drive it year round including the past two really bad winters (80 inches of snow) that we have had.

Quote:
Would I love to have the 5.0? Sure, but not for the extra $5k+. My ultimate car at the time I bought my Mustang was a 2012 GT/CS, but the price tag was more than I wanted to pay, so I opted for the 2012 Performance Package MCA Edition V6 in Red Candy. I got the CS wheels (best Mustang wheels ever), great handling, and all for a great price.
I paid $27000 OTD and that was with a $1400 upside down trade brand new. Some V6 premiums were going for more. If someone is not drag racing, I agree a V-6 might be the better choice. If you plan on mods, the GT is a much better starting point for the strip. For a road course, a V6 might be better.

Quote:
Regardless of options, the 2011-2014 Mustangs are some of the best ever built by Ford, and are engineered to a high standard, and built with exceptional quality. You can't go wrong no matter which one you go with. As with any large purchase, weigh all of the options, do the research, and choose the car that works for you. Don't buy something because other people tell you that you need it, ever.
I don't know about the high quality part as I have had almost all of the S197 malady's on my 2014 (replaced hood due to corrosion, repainted trunk due to defective paint, engine igniter tick, squeaky front LCA's, broken driver seat valance and adjustment handle, leaky rear end) but the car is a lot of fun despite the annoying problems it has had to this point.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.

Last edited by scott9050; 09-07-2015 at 09:22 AM.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

There were two GTIG Mustangs on the lot when I bought mine....The V6 had a glass roof, BOSS wheels, premium interior...etc...VERY nice car!

Paid a lot more and got what I wanted.....
Thereaper likes this.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
Sean Reilly

We are NOT going to turn this into a "Bashing" Contest!....The Name of This Site IS ALL FORD MUSTANGS!.....Period!

Sean.
Red 3-7 likes this.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
I don't know about the high quality part as I have had almost all of the S197 malady's on my 2014 (replaced hood due to corrosion, repainted trunk due to defective paint, engine igniter tick, squeaky front LCA's, broken driver seat valance and adjustment handle, leaky rear end) but the car is a lot of fund despite the annoying problems it has had to this point.
I had the groaning LCA issue (only over big speed bumps), and I had the rear end leak (very small), both of which my dealer turned around in a day. Other than that, there was a clear coat flaking issue with my original set of wheels, for which Ford replaced all four. To me, all very minor annoyances, and all fixed by Ford with no hassle whatsoever. I have friends with BMWs and the like which can't say the same regarding their manufacturer/dealer experiences.

The important bits are solid on the Mustang, and I think the drive train and major systems will easily go 100k or even 200k with no problems at all. I still maintain that the Mustang is well built and to a high standard, especially given the price. You simply won't find a better performance bargain, not even for twice the money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page