Hood replacement - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hood replacement

Due to the oxidation problem, which finally chipped the paint, I've decided to get a new hood. Just wondering how others have fared replacing their hoods and where you ordered from (besides the obvious AM and LMR). I am looking for something that looks very similar to the OEM hood but would rather not go through a dealer who quoted me $1300-1500 unpainted.
How are those with fiberglass or carbon fiber hoods liking them? I am definitely going to have it painted to color match the car by a reputable shop.
Any advice or experience is welcomed, thanks

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015
Apprentice

Same boat you're in ,soo bump!

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015
Banned

Hood replacement

Check out the Cervini Stalker series hoods.

Last edited by stevegt2012; 05-01-2015 at 09:07 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you're thinking fiberglass you really need to check out Cervini. I have purchased two hoods and as far as I am concerned their quality, fit and finish are unmatched by anyone in the industry. Best of luck.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

B.Cooper, did you order prepainted from Cervini? Or have a body shop paint it?
Anyone else have any experience here?

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konatown View Post
B.Cooper, did you order prepainted from Cervini? Or have a body shop paint it?
Anyone else have any experience here?
I've done it both ways, on my 2006 gt in my avatar I ordered it pre painted and the quality was really good but I could tell it was just a little off from the original color. Most people never noticed it but from different angles I could, a quality shop may have gotten a better match but I don't think the quality of work could be beat. Keep in mind yellow can be a pain to match color wise.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015
Rookie

I hear the cervini hoods are tops
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well I purchased a Cervinis hood, hopefully have it installed next week. Anybody looking for a kona blue stock hood with some oxidation and a small chip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	1,011.3 KB
ID:	436505  

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Well I purchased a Cervinis hood, hopefully have it installed next week. Anybody looking for a kona blue stock hood with some oxidation and a small chip?
GOOD LORD! "some oxidation"? thats the most ive ever seen lol. But its there no structural damage then i bet you can sell it cheap. Just have that person repaint it whatever color and then there good.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
PONY Member

Quote:
That's horrible! Worst I've seen.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah, it progressed quickly this winter then finally chipped about a month ago. I fought with ford customer service for about a month last fall with no luck. Tried several dealers and spoke to reps on the phone seeing if one would crack. Oh well, can't wait to get my new one painted and installed

Apprentice
S197 Member

I went with a fiberglass hood that I liked. Not all hoods are perfect so expect the body shop to fit it properly, then do fiberglass prep to the surface.....then paint.

I use a invisible bra so there are NO chips on the front of my 40K mile car

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

after waiting for what seemed like an eternity for the shop to paint my Cervini's hood, I finally have it replaced and am very happy with it.
Still trying to get rid of my old hood if anyone is interested let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1,022.8 KB
ID:	441194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	957.9 KB
ID:	441202  

MACH I Member

Looks good. Are you going to try to block the scoop to prevent debris from getting in?

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Apprentice

Quote:
Man, I wonder what those aluminum-bodied F150s are going to look like after a couple of hard winters...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hood , replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page