Official Ford Recall for 2005-2014 Mustangs - Takata Airbag Issue - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
What is a SJB? Like a fuse or a relay or something?

I am hoping not to have the battery disconnected when the time comes.
I am worried about losing some settings.
I have a Tremec conversion and we fought like heck to get the MPH set properly, let alone a lot of other things. I don't want the headache.

I would be interested in hearing what others experienced with their custom tuned Mustangs when the airbag is replaced.
SJB = smart junction box.

You won't lose any tune settings etc when the battery's removed. I disconnect my battery every winter for about 4 months and haven't experienced a single issue from it.

You won't even lose your radio presets! You will have to reset the clock however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Development of a replacement service inflator is in process, tmv6. We are working with our suppliers to expedite parts as quickly as possible.

Also, as per the NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind; he encouraged customers to bring their vehicles in for service as soon as they are notified that parts are available, but that they should continue to drive their vehicles until then.

Deysha
Hi Deysha,
I was wondering if you could provide me some insight or assistance in this matter. Is there any way I can get the dealership to release my car? I bought a brand new 2014 Mustang GT weeks back and they are holding delivery to me due to this recall and wont release it. Its extremely frustrating. Thanks for the any help you can provide.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymose View Post
Hi Deysha,
I was wondering if you could provide me some insight or assistance in this matter. Is there any way I can get the dealership to release my car? I bought a brand new 2014 Mustang GT weeks back and they are holding delivery to me due to this recall and wont release it. Its extremely frustrating. Thanks for the any help you can provide.
Maybe the dealer should pick up the payments (if you are making payments) for the period that they're holding onto it and provide you with substitute transportation.

PONY Member

Does the fix do anything to the seat cover? Just noticed my just about to hit 5 year old, 25k mustang's driver side leather seat has some cracks in it... not wanting it to get worse (actually not happy with the quality of the leather (vinyl) here on my first Ford). Would be great if it was fixed/repaired at the same time.

DELIVERED: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, Kona Blue, Black Leather Interior, HIDs, 3.73, Security, 19 inch Painted Aluminum Rims - Roush: Front Valance, Front/Side Splitters

Washington State 5.0 Owner's Thread:

allfordmustangs.com/forums/west-coast/240489-official-washington-state-5-0-owners-thread.html
post #125 of 379 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

The airbag is in your steering column. So they won't be touching your seats.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Hi Deysha,

Raymose,

I hate to hear this has happened to you. Pretty crappy situation to be in honestly. I actually just came across this similar situation today not as deep as you when I was looking at a leftover still new 2014 today when the salesperson said it wasn't able to sell it. After reading just the last two pages of this thread I came across your post and was like how odd that dealer wasn't kidding and knows what they are talking about. I doubted them at first as I have seen a few used ones selling in recent days. So I guess it only effects NEW sales!?

So my question is this.
Does this ONLY effect the sales of still NEW mustangs and not used?

If so why? I mean the problem is the same whether new or used so why is it ok to sell a used 2014 with this open recall, but not ok to sale and deliver a NEW 2014 with the same problem? That makes 0% sense right?

Current Mustang
2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Update since my last post earlier.

Now my question is really valid as I am very confused. I sent an email to two dealers today with NEW 2014 Mustangs. One is in the post above and now I just got a call from the second letting me know they had the NEW 2014 in stock and were ready to sell. I told them about the recall and about what the other dealer said and they said that is absurd and that they can sell the NEW 2014 Mustang GT tonight or as soon as I can come work the deal.

What do you all know about this? Maybe a ford rep could comment on this to let me know official answer as I would really like to know before driving out of state.

Current Mustang

(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Apprentice

Just got my recall letter last week. Ill be notified once parts are in...

2012 Mustang GT
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited
1989 Supra Turbo
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnma View Post
Just got my recall letter last week. Ill be notified once parts are in...
Same here.

2008 GT/CS convertible
1966 Coupe(under construction) 289,AT, Pony Interior,console
2011 F150 Lariat
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevstang View Post
Same here.
Same here x3. How do they decide who gets fixed first?...
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CanuckGT View Post
Relax. The passenger side airbag isn't a Takata airbag. I believe it's TRW. Take out your glovebox and remove the airbag and let us know

In all seriousness, it seems like the only people getting hurt from these airbags are in Hondas, and old ones at that. It takes a while for the ammonium nitrate (propellant that ONLY Takata uses) to degrade and 'inflate improperly.'

I had my driver's airbag replaced in April '15 under the last recall. I'm not worried at all. Still taking my car to track days, daily driving etc.

Now, if it takes 10 years for the parts to become available, then I might start sweating.
Are you certain the passenger side airbag is other than Takata? I'm not privy to insider info as you obviously are, just a concerned owner/driver trying to ask "tough questions".
Find it quite odd that another brand of airbag is installed passenger side,wonder what the logic behind that really is!!!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
FordService

Quote:
Hi Deysha,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Update since my last post earlier.
Now my question is really valid as I am very confused. I sent an email to two dealers today with NEW 2014 Mustangs. One is in the post above and now I just got a call from the second letting me know they had the NEW 2014 in stock and were ready to sell. I told them about the recall and about what the other dealer said and they said that is absurd and that they can sell the NEW 2014 Mustang GT tonight or as soon as I can come work the deal.

What do you all know about this? Maybe a ford rep could comment on this to let me know official answer as I would really like to know before driving out of state.
Hey guys,

Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $7,000 per vehicle. Therefore, they must correct all vehicles in their new vehicle inventory prior to delivery.

Why the new ones and not old ones? Because when the recall was announced, customers already owned their vehicles. Imagine having to drop off all of the vehicles involved at the dealer with no ETA and no loaners available.

I hope this information helps.

Deysha
tycat947 and SideCarGT like this.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
Are you certain the passenger side airbag is other than Takata? I'm not privy to insider info as you obviously are, just a concerned owner/driver trying to ask "tough questions".
Find it quite odd that another brand of airbag is installed passenger side,wonder what the logic behind that really is!!!
Not odd at all. I've parted out a couple of cars and it's pretty common to have different suppliers for different parts etc.

My theory is that Takata supplies small/compact airbags (seems as though most of the US vehicles with these airbags have very small airbags in the steering wheel - think Chrysler 300, Ford GT, Mustang etc.).

I've seen a bunch of passenger airbags on the Mustangs removed from the vehicles (trying to find a satin silver dash kit to upgrade from black) and I haven't seen Takata ANYWHERE on the passenger side.

However, remove the two bolts on the driver's side airbag and it says Takata holdings on the back. All of them from 05-14 say this. Check ebay for some airbags from scrap stangs. You'll see what I mean.

Remember the T-Birds and Mark VIII's from the 90s? Well, they had double platinum plugs on one side of the engine and single platinum on the other side. Has to do with the waste-spark ignition. (side-note: when I partied out my t-bird, the 19 year old airbag was a TRW and had NO RUST on the inflator, unlike all of the Mustang inflators)

Ford (and every other company for that matter) is gonna go with the lowest bidder. Let's say TRW won the bid for the passenger side airbag, but was beat out by Takata by $10. Guess who's gonna make the driver's airbag?

I really wouldn't worry about it. The only fatalities have been in Hondas, and they were all around 10+ years old at the time.

Be patient and enjoy the Stang! And the weather! It's gonna snow in like 12 weeks lol.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CanuckGT View Post
Be patient and enjoy the Stang! And the weather! It's gonna snow in like 12 weeks lol.
Snow sounds good but for right now I'd be happy with cooler weather!!

2008 GT/CS convertible
1966 Coupe(under construction) 289,AT, Pony Interior,console
2011 F150 Lariat
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hey guys,

Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $7,000 per vehicle. Therefore, they must correct all vehicles in their new vehicle inventory prior to delivery.

Why the new ones and not old ones? Because when the recall was announced, customers already owned their vehicles. Imagine having to drop off all of the vehicles involved at the dealer with no ETA and no loaners available.

I hope this information helps.

Deysha
Deysha,

I understand where you are coming from and glad they don't make people park the already purchased cars. I would be furious if I was told I had to drop my current Mustang off with no guesses on when I would get it back.

What I am asking though is why can a dealership sell a preowned 2014, but not a new 2014 with the same recall/issue? That doesn't make sense does it? I mean both are for sale by same dealer, both have the same problem, yet preowned can be sold today, but not the new one can't. Does this make sense? haha

Current Mustang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airbag , takata

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page