Mustang GT 2011 Fuel Economy - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Firestorm

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Mustang GT 2011 Fuel Economy

Hi, this is my first post on the forum, Im new at posting, I always read but I have one question. How much km does the full tank can run. I fill my tank with 50 L. Every week and when I fill the tank it says it can run 250km, which is a very poor fuel economy, In the morning I filled the tank as usual on every week and it said I had 256km to empty, but then I took out the battery to turn another car and when I put it back it says now that it has 450km to empty. Im wondering whats the normal km or millage to empty remember that 1.609km are 1 mile and 1 gallon has 3.9lt.

Greetings from mexico!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
I usually go 290-300 miles between fill-ups and average 21.5-22 mpg.

The reason your calculated range went to 450km is because pulling the battery removed power to the ECM or whatever module is responsible for the calculation and it was reset. You'll see if change over time and become closer to your actual range.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Then what can be wrong with my mustang only running 160 miles with full tank, I dont run my mustang because I drive at city, its stock and it only takes me to university twice (I drive around 25 miles day)...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulises309 View Post
Then what can be wrong with my mustang only running 160 miles with full tank, I dont run my mustang because I drive at city, its stock and it only takes me to university twice (I drive around 25 miles day)...
You just answered your own question. The City MPG of these is 17mpg if you BABY the heck out of it (and who can baby a GT, especially if you get the exhaust done). If you drive it like normal person your gonna get 14-15mpg. Your not going to get 20+ unless you are driving on the highway for most of your driving.

I usually get right at 200 miles max from a tank if i push it. Probably 90%+ of my driving is city. Depending on how i'm feeling the days I drive I get anywhere from 13-16mpg.
freewayflyer likes this.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
You just answered your own question. The City MPG of these is 17mpg if you BABY the heck out of it (and who can baby a GT, especially if you get the exhaust done). If you drive it like normal person your gonna get 14-15mpg. Your not going to get 20+ unless you are driving on the highway for most of your driving.

I usually get right at 200 miles max from a tank if i push it. Probably 90%+ of my driving is city. Depending on how i'm feeling the days I drive I get anywhere from 13-16mpg.
But 200 are far better than 150-160 miles at full tank, Im wondering why is so low when I use it has automatic transmission
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015
PONY Member

Garage
I can't answer if yours is actually performing under what it should be, but I'm usually filling my car up around 180 miles on a tank 2012 GT coupe with a manual.

Oh and I forgot to say. Welcome to the forum!

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
How many KM are on the car? Is the car well maintained? Maybe you have a brake caliper dragging a bit?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015
Apprentice

I get 21-22mpg in city and 26 mpg hwy. That is with wider than stock tires, 3.31 gears and I have a convertible. Hope that helps. Btw, I was getting 28 mpg hwy with stock width tires.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My base 2011, with a six-speed and 3.73 gears has averaged about 11-12 MPG around town since new (43k now). The rare times I do a longish freeway drive, that will jump to the mid/high twenties. Keep in mind, while I don't hammer the thing, I also don't drive for mileage.
MACH I Member

I've been averaging around 14L/100 km around town and around 9L/100 km on the highway. I usually have to fill up after around 430 km mixed driving.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulises309 View Post
Hi, this is my first post on the forum, Im new at posting, I always read but I have one question. How much km does the full tank can run. I fill my tank with 50 L. Every week and when I fill the tank it says it can run 250km, which is a very poor fuel economy, In the morning I filled the tank as usual on every week and it said I had 256km to empty, but then I took out the battery to turn another car and when I put it back it says now that it has 450km to empty. Im wondering whats the normal km or millage to empty remember that 1.609km are 1 mile and 1 gallon has 3.9lt.

Greetings from mexico!

For a stock 2011 GT automatic, the maximum I have seen for one tank is 466.3 miles (750 KM) with 12 miles to empty. With 14.439 U.S. gallons consumed, that is a hand calculated 32.29 miles per gallon (see the attached pictures - I fully expected a best of 20 MPG when I ordered the car).

The MPG reading on the dash board, at least for my car, is typically 6% to 8% lower than the hand calculated average. I recently went for a 96 mile cruise loop (mostly at 55 MPH) - at the end of the loop the dash showed 30.6 MPG, which means that the actual is between 32.436 to 33.048 MPG (yes, this is a stock 2011 GT - still wearing the original tires). The car averaged 31.39 MPG for a 3,123 mile cruise in June 2012, and up to the start of August 2014 the car had averaged 27.098 MPG since new, although the average should drop a bit once I plug the fuel consumption for the last year into the Excel spreadsheet. The car only averaged about 22 MPG when I just drove it back and forth to work through an entire tank, but that still resulted in roughly 308 miles (495 KM) per tank.

If you are only seeing 250 KM (155 miles) per tank, that would be roughly 11 MPG. You are either in heavy stop and go traffic most of the time, idling for long periods of time, racing to the speed limit from every stop sign, using gas with a high ethanol content (I use premium 92 or 93 octane, which is typically 10% ethanol), have under-inflated tires, or have something wrong with the car (dragging brakes, damaged engine, dirty air filter, not running 5w20 oil, etc.).

If you want to get better fuel economy (I know, GT is a performance car, should not be concerned with MPG):
* Keep you foot off the gas pedal and brake pedal as much as possible - the car will coast for a 1/4 mile from 55 MPH without upsetting the driver behind too badly. Use the cruise control when possible.
* Get the car into 6th gear as soon as possible, keeping the engine RPM below 2,000 RPM as much as possible (the car should have little trouble running in gear at 1,000 RPM).
* Avoid idling for long periods of time. If stopped at a railroad crossing, turn the car off. Park, rather than going through fast food drive-throughs.
* When driving in traffic, leave a larger than normal gap between your car and the car in front. When the car in front slows down, simply take your foot off the gas to coast, rather than stepping on the brake pedal.
* Run the car quickly up to the speed limit (55 to 60 MPH) once or twice for each tank to blow the carbon out of the engine.
* Air the tires up to 38 PSI (no lower than 35 PSI).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page