Just noticed I have hood corrosion - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
Yes, very annoying. I have it too.

I was so p!ss3d off about it (and the MT82 problems) a few weeks ago that I was very close to trading it in for a Camaro. But then I realized that I would be taking on a new longer loan for a car that I actually like less. Didn't make sense. And then just the sales tax on the Camaro would have been about $1800. Then I thought, well the $1800 in sales tax could just buy me a new hood instead of spending it on tax. So I may just be in the market for a new hood sometime soon!!!
$1,800? Sales tax? I don't face that here in New Hampshire......the price is the price and there are no sales taxes......but we do raise tax revenue in this State on Property.....and cars fit the bill......

Suddenly that first year $700 property tax on the car doesn't seem so very bad.........it goes down each year as the car depreciates but you do pay each year...

Most States get you one way or the other I guess.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

My dealer replaced my hood on my '14, that is the only course of action they will take as they state it will come back on repainted hoods.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHave14 View Post
$1,800? Sales tax? I don't face that here in New Hampshire......the price is the price and there are no sales taxes......but we do raise tax revenue in this State on Property.....and cars fit the bill......

Suddenly that first year $700 property tax on the car doesn't seem so very bad.........it goes down each year as the car depreciates but you do pay each year...

Most States get you one way or the other I guess.
Yep,

$30,000 x 6% = $1800

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
My dealer replaced my hood on my '14, that is the only course of action they will take as they state it will come back on repainted hoods.
Great to know your dealer did right by you. Did you have to insist that Ford replace the hood?

I'll see what happens with the dealership but I'm not interested in them simply repainting the hood. They either replace mine or I'm going to buy a Cervini fiberglass hood.

2014 GT Premium, MT-82, oxford white, Brembo brake package, 3.73, Roush A/B's

2008 Jaguar S-TYPE Satin Edition, one of last 750 built - Future classic!

2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R, V8 Supercharged - Sold
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
Yep,

$30,000 x 6% = $1800
Sales tax here is 13%

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolf21 View Post
First of all, if you're under 36k, you should be covered by the 3yr/36k warranty and ford should be willing to at least repaint it. For some, they replace the hood (don't ask me how they decide). For others, they tell you to get lost and hope you don't fight them on it. Legally, they are responsible to fix the problem because this is not due to poor care, this is a defective part.

Your hood is aluminum. The problem you are seeing is galvanic corrosion, it's like rust but not like rust on steel. When aluminum rusts, it gets a white chalky covering, and this covering actually ends up protecting the aluminum, which is why it takes aluminum a lot longer to corrode than it does for steel. That's great, right? Not really if you have paint on your aluminum, because the corrosion will make the paint bubble and come off, which is what is happening on your car.

So why is it corroding? It's not because your previous owner didn't take care of the car - keep in mind your car is only one year old. It's happening because the aluminum metal was corrupted by iron particles during the production process. Ford has known about this since around 2000 and put out a TSB about it in the mid 00's. Yet here we are with 2014s having the same issue, which means Ford hasn't done anything to correct the situation.

It's clear that their strategy is, it would be more expensive for them to fix the problem than it is for them to simply dodge the problem. So they've chosen to dodge it. Mostly, they hope that the problem doesn't show up, or get noticed by owners, until after the 3yr/36k mi warranty is up, then they can tell that owner to get lost, which is exactly what they do. If it happens during the warranty period, they do a cheap touch up job and wait until the warranty is over, and then when the corrosion comes back (and it usually does because the iron corruption which causes the corrosion is usually in the seams and cant be reached, will continually cause these corrupted hoods to corrode regardless of anything you do) they can tell the owner 'no warranty, no helpy'.

It's absolutely despicable how Ford has behaved about this issue. Lodge as many complaints as you can but it's clear Ford simply doesn't care about loyal mustang enthusiasts. Also, while your at it, check your trunk lid along the seams, you might find another unhappy surprise there.

In the long run, if Ford loses enough customers over pathetic build quality and even worse customer service, maybe then they will care about issues like these.
Nailed it, GreyWolf! Same problem on my '08 Expedition's lift gate, and almost every Expedition at the hood or the rear. I almost bought a Chevy Suburban when I decided on the Expy to keep Fords in the family.... so much for brand loyalty

It's the car we've always wanted and can now afford, it's NOT a mid-life crisis!!
JLT series 3 CAI, brenspeed 93 octane tune, Pypes "Pype Bomb" muffler deletes *Many fun and attractive interior mods!
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Large forum about this issue.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...sion-poll.html

Current Mustang
2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameRob View Post
Haha I suppose I was a masochist for buying used, the general public's neglect for cars is unbelievable, but that's a rant for another thread.
Hey I feel that man - I wish I had a used 2014! Those 5.0L's are mean.
All 3 cars of mine were used Mustang GT's. All with their own set of problems lol.

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolf21 View Post

It's absolutely despicable how Ford has behaved about this issue. Lodge as many complaints as you can but it's clear Ford simply doesn't care about loyal mustang enthusiasts. Also, while your at it, check your trunk lid along the seams, you might find another unhappy surprise there.

In the long run, if Ford loses enough customers over pathetic build quality and even worse customer service, maybe then they will care about issues like these.
Well said. For someone like me who's only owned Mustangs the lack of concern from FORD regarding my 05 is ridiculous. This car has started to leak water into the passenger side foot-well (no the drainage weep hole by the air filer is NOT clogged) and every other time I fill up with gas I have to invert the damn nozzle like a weirdo to get it to fill up. The only thing they did for me was what they have to do by law (airbag) recall. Zero appreciation for loyal customers stuck with their faulty products.
I would ditch this car if it wasn't such a fun thing to drive

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
GT Member

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesGT View Post
Well said. For someone like me who's only owned Mustangs the lack of concern from FORD regarding my 05 is ridiculous. This car has started to leak water into the passenger side foot-well (no the drainage weep hole by the air filer is NOT clogged) and every other time I fill up with gas I have to invert the damn nozzle like a weirdo to get it to fill up. The only thing they did for me was what they have to do by law (airbag) recall. Zero appreciation for loyal customers stuck with their faulty products.
I would ditch this car if it wasn't such a fun thing to drive
the passenger side puddle pisses me off to no end. never saw that kind of thing with any car, no matter how cheap.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
the passenger side puddle pisses me off to no end. never saw that kind of thing with any car, no matter how cheap.
You and me both man.
I haven't washed my car in a month and a half for fear of water streaming in again - and it KILLS ME having a dirty car I have a pretty full on work schedule, usually working one or both weekend days as well as 10-12 hour week days and just haven't had the time to leave my car for a few days so they can find the leak. Apparently there's like dozens of possible causes - all of which FORD acknowledge yet refuse to make right.

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
Have you guys checked the trim behind the window seam plastic? Not the door seals. Behind the black window plastic there is another seal that can leak and lead to your water intrusion. Saw a video about it before and the guy said it looked just like you buys mention.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09v6 View Post
Have you guys checked the trim behind the window seam plastic? Not the door seals. Behind the black window plastic there is another seal that can leak and lead to your water intrusion. Saw a video about it before and the guy said it looked just like you buys mention.
I'll check into it. Thanks

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page