Just noticed I have hood corrosion - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Just noticed I have hood corrosion

Just when I thought I was in the clear, I saw the ****ing hood herpes.

It's very minor (picture below), but I'm pissed. This is horse****.

It's a 2014 for crying out loud. There are other areas here and there that have flaws in the paint and I'm willing to let them slide, but this is unforgivable.

What do you guys think I should do? Is there a way to prevent the corrosion from getting worse? The car is always hand washed, always garaged, and the synthetic sealant I use on the paint, Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant, is one of the best wax/sealant products on the planet.

At the very least I'm going to have the dealer look at it. Luckily the car has only been in service a year, but I'm sure Ford will come up with something like "you bought the vehicle used, the previous owner likely used a touchless car wash. Not our responsibility. HAHA silly owner!"

Side rant: I do have reason to believe the PO was an asshat (and not to mention the dealership that sold the car to me), considering the morning after I brought the car home I discovered 1. ALL 4 tires were 10 PSI low, 2. Engine was a quart low on oil, 3. Coolant was a half quart low.....Seriously, WTF is that all about?!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5348.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	766.8 KB
ID:	454274  

2014 GT Premium, MT-82, oxford white, Brembo brake package, 3.73, Roush A/B's

2008 Jaguar S-TYPE Satin Edition, one of last 750 built - Future classic!

2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R, V8 Supercharged - Sold

Last edited by MyNameRob; 08-03-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015
PONY Member

Hey well you bought the vehicle used - so that's your problem
In all seriousness that looks more like a factory defect in the paint than corrosion - are you sure that just developed and wasn't always there?
I'm more concerned about your side rant - the cooling system is supposed to be air tight. Unless the owner purchased the car with half a quart low on coolant it sounds like you may have a minor leak or the cap isn't screwed on tight enough.

Edmund K likes this.

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesGT View Post
Hey well you bought the vehicle used - so that's your problem
In all seriousness that looks more like a factory defect in the paint than corrosion - are you sure that just developed and wasn't always there?
I'm more concerned about your side rant - the cooling system is supposed to be air tight. Unless the owner purchased the car with half a quart low on coolant it sounds like you may have a minor leak or the cap isn't screwed on tight enough.
Haha I suppose I was a masochist for buying used, the general public's neglect for cars is unbelievable, but that's a rant for another thread.

Hopefully it is a factory defect that won't worsen over time. As far as the coolant, I've been watching it and I haven't noticed any loss since I filled it 1500 miles ago, so the whole thing is still a mystery....as is the nature of buying a used car

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm still trying to figure out where on the hood that corrosion is located. I know the 13-14 hoods are different than my 12 but man, I can't seem to figure it out.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
I'm still trying to figure out where on the hood that corrosion is located. I know the 13-14 hoods are different than my 12 but man, I can't seem to figure it out.
It is a very zoomed in picture I must admit Hopefully this shot helps clarify
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5350.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	936.3 KB
ID:	454410  

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameRob View Post
It is a very zoomed in picture I must admit Hopefully this shot helps clarify
Got it. Thanks. Is it under the hood also? It normally starts under the hood at the seam and works its way around and out. I don't think I have ever seen it start on the outside of the hood.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Yes, very annoying. I have it too.

I was so p!ss3d off about it (and the MT82 problems) a few weeks ago that I was very close to trading it in for a Camaro. But then I realized that I would be taking on a new longer loan for a car that I actually like less. Didn't make sense. And then just the sales tax on the Camaro would have been about $1800. Then I thought, well the $1800 in sales tax could just buy me a new hood instead of spending it on tax. So I may just be in the market for a new hood sometime soon!!!
withinavoid and Edmund K like this.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I may also be in the market for a new truck soon. My Dodge Ram is part of the buy back that is being forced on FCA. I've always thought my next truck would be an F-150, but all this hood corrosion on the Mustangs has me concerned. I do not think I will be going with an F-150 (aluminum body truck) if I get a new truck because of the Ram recall.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015
PONY Member

The warranty is transferable I believe so you should still be covered under the 36 month, 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty. Used or not doesn't matter.
Edmund K likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
Yes, very annoying. I have it too.

I was so p!ss3d off about it (and the MT82 problems) a few weeks ago that I was very close to trading it in for a Camaro. But then I realized that I would be taking on a new longer loan for a car that I actually like less. Didn't make sense. And then just the sales tax on the Camaro would have been about $1800. Then I thought, well the $1800 in sales tax could just buy me a new hood instead of spending it on tax. So I may just be in the market for a new hood sometime soon!!!
Interesting, if I was going to buy a Camaro I think the sole reason would be for the self fulfillment of feeling like I got my revenge against Ford for taking one of the best engines of the decade and sticking an awful chinese-built transmission it in to save money.

By the way, I'm guessing Ford refused to fix your hood?

A new hood might not fix the problem, if I had the money I'd consider a carbon fiber hood. Can't corrode at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
I may also be in the market for a new truck soon. My Dodge Ram is part of the buy back that is being forced on FCA. I've always thought my next truck would be an F-150, but all this hood corrosion on the Mustangs has me concerned. I do not think I will be going with an F-150 (aluminum body truck) if I get a new truck because of the Ram recall.
The irony is that apparently the Mustang manufacturing plant has the most modern paint line out of all the Ford facilities.

If I was going to buy a truck I think I would still go with the F-150, but only if it had the V8. I've heard horror stories about those ecoboost engines...

MACH I Member

Unfortunately that is definitely early hood corrosion. It will get worse over time. Look underneath near the seam and you will probably see more bubbles/paint flaking off.

Nothing can really be done to prevent it. Re-painting will only delay the inevitable.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Apprentice

My 2012 5.0 had this lovely problem a year ago. 20k miles on it. The dealer took it back and repainted it. It matched up great. Nothing new showing, but I'm sure somewhere down the road it'll return. Sadly, I'll be paying for the next repaint. But I love the beast, lol!

2012 5.0, 6MT, Sterling Gray, Premium Package, Black Leather Interior, Brembo Brake Package, Steeda CAI, BAMA 91S, 91P and 93R tune, GT500 Axle Backs, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Reverse sensor package. Hood, Window, side scoops and tinted windows. Stubby antennae.
Apprentice

First of all, if you're under 36k, you should be covered by the 3yr/36k warranty and ford should be willing to at least repaint it. For some, they replace the hood (don't ask me how they decide). For others, they tell you to get lost and hope you don't fight them on it. Legally, they are responsible to fix the problem because this is not due to poor care, this is a defective part.

Your hood is aluminum. The problem you are seeing is galvanic corrosion, it's like rust but not like rust on steel. When aluminum rusts, it gets a white chalky covering, and this covering actually ends up protecting the aluminum, which is why it takes aluminum a lot longer to corrode than it does for steel. That's great, right? Not really if you have paint on your aluminum, because the corrosion will make the paint bubble and come off, which is what is happening on your car.

So why is it corroding? It's not because your previous owner didn't take care of the car - keep in mind your car is only one year old. It's happening because the aluminum metal was corrupted by iron particles during the production process. Ford has known about this since around 2000 and put out a TSB about it in the mid 00's. Yet here we are with 2014s having the same issue, which means Ford hasn't done anything to correct the situation.

It's clear that their strategy is, it would be more expensive for them to fix the problem than it is for them to simply dodge the problem. So they've chosen to dodge it. Mostly, they hope that the problem doesn't show up, or get noticed by owners, until after the 3yr/36k mi warranty is up, then they can tell that owner to get lost, which is exactly what they do. If it happens during the warranty period, they do a cheap touch up job and wait until the warranty is over, and then when the corrosion comes back (and it usually does because the iron corruption which causes the corrosion is usually in the seams and cant be reached, will continually cause these corrupted hoods to corrode regardless of anything you do) they can tell the owner 'no warranty, no helpy'.

It's absolutely despicable how Ford has behaved about this issue. Lodge as many complaints as you can but it's clear Ford simply doesn't care about loyal mustang enthusiasts. Also, while your at it, check your trunk lid along the seams, you might find another unhappy surprise there.

In the long run, if Ford loses enough customers over pathetic build quality and even worse customer service, maybe then they will care about issues like these.
withinavoid and Edmund K like this.
Apprentice

Quote:
Interesting, if I was going to buy a Camaro I think the sole reason would be for the self fulfillment of feeling like I got my revenge against Ford for taking one of the best engines of the decade and sticking an awful chinese-built transmission it in to save money.

A new hood might not fix the problem, if I had the money I'd consider a carbon fiber hood. Can't corrode at least.

The irony is that apparently the Mustang manufacturing plant has the most modern paint line out of all the Ford facilities.

If I was going to buy a truck I think I would still go with the F-150, but only if it had the V8. I've heard horror stories about those ecoboost engines...

The paint isn't the problem, its the way the vehicle is prepped for paint that is causing all the problems. The seam work on my mustang is the most sloppy, half-assed job I've ever seen on a vehicle.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:

I think you may have successfully analyzed my brain without even knowing me. Pretty good.

I can't wait to see how much Dodge will offer to buy back my truck. I may actually get another RAM. Because of the aluminum problem, I will not go F-150. Two years ago, I would have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page