Dash rattle near passenger side A-pillar - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Dash rattle near passenger side A-pillar

I got my rearview mirror replaced under warranty for a second time. It was rattling extremely bad again. I think it was so bad that it was masking another rattle! Over by the passenger side A-pillar, there is a pretty annoying rattle. If I press down on the dash right by the edge, it stops. I'm thinking of wedging something in there, but I don't really want to jury rig something! Is there anything over there that can be tightened?

I also have the gauge cluster rattle, like the sticky, but I'll take care of that one soon.

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
(with Procal): [email protected] 1.913 60' on stock Goodyears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015
PONY Member

I have both rattles like yourself...the gauge cluster I know how to address, but yeah...don't know how to address the rattle by the passenger side A-pillar...maybe someone with knowledge can chime in...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Hopefully someone will. It's quite annoying!

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015
PONY Member

Rattles and squeaks are seriously maddening. When I buy a car now, that's one of the highest priority items I check on the test drive; find a rough road and listen for noises. Of course the rattles increase over time as parts loosen up. I suggest biting the bullet and see if a wedge or shim made out of cardboard or paper or rubber "fixes" it.

I had a '90s Ford T-Bird that I put little cardboard and paper and rubber wedges and shims in the dash, door panel, a-pillars, etc. to stop buzzes and rattles. The interior plastic on that car was awful. My Mustang is a lot tighter, but in cold weather something in my instrument panel buzzes.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I'm going to wedge something in there as an interim fix. But still hopeful for a true fix.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015
PONY Member

There is a TSB for rattling dash problems. Call the dealer.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Do you have the tsb number? Do you know if it's for that area of the dash? Thanks

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015
PONY Member

There was a TSB for 05-09 models. I don't know if that transferred over to 10-14 models or not but its a well known issue.

Ford TSB Article # 08-24-10

Issue
Some 2005-2009 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a rattle noise where the A-pillar meets the dash area. This rattle may be due to worn, missing or off location tape under the dash panel and/or A-pillar dual lock (velcro) fastener(s) not seated.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I saw that one, but like you said, it wasn't for the S197's.

PONY Member

The S197's range from 05-14. Yours is the same as mine but slightly different skin to it. I would check with the dealer.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
My mistake, I was thinking of the Coyote years. I'll give the dealer a call. Thanks again

Apprentice

I also had this rattle. It is the access panel on the passenger side of the dash. If you open your door you will see a removable panel on the side of the dash where the door ventilation port rests against.

The fix: Remove the panel access door from the side of the dash, take 3m double sided foam tape, go around the edge of the backside of the panel. Re-install for a quite and rattle free ride.

You get what you inspect not what you expect...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by profclean2000 View Post
I also had this rattle. It is the access panel on the passenger side of the dash. If you open your door you will see a removable panel on the side of the dash where the door ventilation port rests against.

The fix: Remove the panel access door from the side of the dash, take 3m double sided foam tape, go around the edge of the backside of the panel. Re-install for a quite and rattle free ride.
I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks for the tip!

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profclean2000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goresnet View Post
I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks...will also check out the side panel to see if it's the culprit!!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Is the entire panel removable? Because mine is just solid plastic with a hole for the vent. Not sure about that! I was expecting something like a fuse panel cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in