2013 5.0 Build Thread - KWV3 to Airrex/Hotchkis/Forgestars/CDC/RTR/VORTECH/SPARCO+++ - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 5.0 Build Thread - KWV3 to Airrex/Hotchkis/Forgestars/CDC/RTR/VORTECH/SPARCO+++

Hey guys,

I'm not new to forums, but I'm new to this forum! I wanted to introduce myself and post up my build which I've posted on other forums as well. Hope you enjoy

Welcome to the build! I'd like to thank all the sponsors who helped out with this build. Forgestar, Falken, APR Performance, KW Suspension, Hotchkis, CDC, RTR, 3DCarbon, Impressive Wrap, AIRREX Air Suspension, and Vortech SuperChargers! Thanks to them, the car looks like this now. Professional photoshoot to come shortly:

BEFORE:

Fronts are just nasty how high they are:

Rears are even worse:

About time these arrived!

Some of the other parts in there too:

Stock trailing arm:

More stock stuff in there:

Good shot of the stock lower control arms.

Hotchkis lower control arms going in:

Great looking design, great quality, strong as hell too. Someone took their time designing these, so I thank you for that :beer:

KW V3's on the rear going in!

Update coming after some lunch

****EDIT - MY THOUGHTS****

So I've come to my conclusion on these parts. Of course mind you these are all my opinion, but after several years of race experience, I'm glad I picked these particular parts. I just want to thank Hotchkis and KW for making parts that honestly completely turn this car around.

Now I'm sure you've been in the same boat as I, first and second gear, lots of wheel hop, and an overly tailhappy car at times. Unfortunately the rear end of this car from factory is just way to skiddish, and often times I find myself in situations where I could have honestly pulled away in a car with just 100HP let alone the factory 420HP (I've got the '13 model). The real kicker that made me purchase the Hotchkis parts was when I pulled into an intersection, shifted into second gear, and I noticed someone coming in the wrong way of traffic perpendicular to I was not going to stop. Slamming on the brakes would have just caused the person behind me to crash into me, so the only option was to get on it, and of course, as usual, wheel hop, I barely squeezed by. I know now with those lower/upper control arms from Hotchkis, now installed on the car, getting away in 2nd gear is not a problem.

The car actually hooks up a bit, even with the stock tiny Pirellis which is really surprising. Of course first is just useless, but it's manageable now, you can actually, if you don't have a foot of lead, put down the power like it should and second gear I can actually put the power all the way down, and not skid uncontrollably in second. Now if you are in a turn, and you do put the rear out, it's just so manageable, obviously no wheel hop, but it's so smooth, it's actually reacting like a normal rear wheel drive car!!

Now I put most of this down to Hotchkis, mainly because I know what I was to expect from the KW V3's, which are beyond belief. With a compression setting and rebound setting, I've got my GT at exactly where I want it, and once she has some track tires ready for her, I know I can turn her up to the right settings and it'll be perfect. The sensation I'm getting actually having a car that handles, the smile on my face cannot get any bigger.

Hopefully I'll have more opportunities to add on the Hotchkis items, as if they are as any good value as these particular parts were, then I'd buy the whole Hotchkis line up without skipping a beat. KW, obviously has pushed the bar, made a new yard stick to measure coilover systems... Watch out, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more V3's on the road very soon to come.

APR Widebody/Vortech Blown/20"SUPER Deep Concave Forgestar F14s/AIRREX Air Suspension/Sparco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site! Amazing looking ride you have there.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Got some more shots as the install starts to wind down... Almost done:

Here's the real need for a Hotchkis Panhard bar... It's hard to tell because the pictures aren't great, but the broom I put down because the axle shifted over about 1/4". Really noticeable by just looking at one side, then going to the other and checking that side out. You can see the first picture, the wheels are closer to the fender (driver side), but there's a gap between the broom and the wheel on the other side (passenger side).

Stock stuff going out:

All gone!

Spring comparison (fronts):

Another comparison:

All done on this side:

On the lift:

Time for the upper control arm. Rear seats come out first so we can get to this bolt you see in the center:

Stock on the left, Hotchkis on the right:

The lil guy is going to be put back in in that spot above the diff.

Almost there! Pictures once it's off the rack and all done!

APR Widebody/Vortech Blown/20"SUPER Deep Concave Forgestar F14s/AIRREX Air Suspension/Sparco

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Some final pictures for you guys...

Upper control arm is in:

Another angle at it:

Front coilover from another angle:

Rear coilover, finally adjusted to my ride height I wanted:

Finally done!

Front how she sits now (was originally a 4 finger gap from Post#1):

Rear how she sits now (was originally a 5 finger gap from post#1):

And now it's finally time for one of these:

I'll be giving my full thoughts once I have a few days to drive around and see how I feel about it, but since I've been on cars before with coilovers, I know how they're supposed to feel. I've had KW's before, so there's no surprise, excellent as usual. The one thing I did notice more than anything else was the lack of wheel hop through 1-2nd gear once getting on it. No more hopping around, everything was smooth, and the power felt like it went down a lot harder than it did before, so one serious thumbs up for Hotchkis.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mini-shoot done after the coilovers and Forgestar CF10's were installed. 20x10 / 20x11 275/35/20 and 315/35/20 Falken 453's:

Thanks to Doug at The Driven Lifestyle!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

After we got all of those parts installed we went on to bigger and better things. APR Performance provided me with their first ever 2013 Widebody kit. Here's some photos of the initial testing and installation:

More updates for you. Front bumper and fenders are on:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

And some more she's starting to take shape!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

A little bit closer to finishing up the widebody:

More updates to come, but likely after the color is all taken care of, with a photoshoot once it's all done!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Few more photos of it basically complete. Rear needs to be put on and then we should be all good for some color:

And we're pretty much done! A few things to touch up, then to add some color!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Got the car dropped off in El Monte to Impressive Wrap to get the car wrapped up in Avery Grey. Disassembly all over again to get the vinyl wrap on, but it was well worth it:

And DONE!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Had a photoshoot with Doug from The Driven Lifestyle. Photos are unedited aside from the watermark just because I wanted to show them off.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Getting ready to put the Vortech blower in:

And installed

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Some more photos from one of the first car shows, Autocon a couple years back:

Wrapping that up with another photoshoot from Doug at the DrivenLifestyle:

With the first place trophy for American Muscle at Extreme Auto Fest:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Got another professional photoshoot done by 1013M, check out the pics!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Airrex Digital Air Suspension installed!

And us at the Nitto Enthusiast day:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page