Help me find a suspension creak/squeak! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, here's the deal...still no solution, though I'm pretty sure it is the rear springs/insulators. There's really nothing left. Every bit and part and been removed and re-lubed. I removed everything from the trunk. A silicone sprayed all the exhaust hangars and on the spring insulators themselves. I've wrangled the exhaust in every direction to see if made a noise. I've pushed, pulled, poked and prodded everything I can find under there. I can't reproduce the sound by pushing down on the car, but every once in a while I can get a very small similar sound if I push up from underneath, but still nothing to really isolate the noise. The noise is most certainly only occurring when the rear axle moves with a jolt or extreme ranges. I haven't removed the insulators to look at them, but I figure I'll just order new ones and be done, then I'll really know. I think it is the top insulators and maybe just the right top one, based on how the sound seems like it comes from the rear package tray/behind the rear seat.

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
1969 Coupe Restomod-never complete!
2008 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone
Mustangs from the past: 66 coupe, 69 Coupe, 69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt, 2011 V6

Last edited by rangerdoc; 11-19-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

i have read somewhere that the rubber bumbers for the trunk cover can squeak.... those bumpers are in the trunk opening near the rear glass, that could make it sound like the noise come from the package tray. Try a bit of lube on those bumpers. Long shot, but it may be that simple.

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
Banned

Check clearance between over axle pipes and panhard brace.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Apprentice

Had a chirping sound in right rear for ever. greased rubbed and shagged everything I could.
had it in the dealership. finally ended up being the shocks. try switching side to side. worked for Me. hasn't chirped since
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, I finally figured it out. The squeak noise is from where the rear sway bar connects at the rear shock area. I removed the sway bar and tried re-lubing everything but no change. If I don't tighten it much I don't get a squeak but at the specified torque of 52lbs (which I believe is correct) I get the squeak. I don't remember if that part came with the sway bar or if it is a stock part. Is it possible for those bushings to just go bad? I don't see a way to fix it without replacing the part. I emailed Steeda to see if that part came with the sway bar since I don't remember. I can't find that mount piece on their website as a stand alone part.

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I found a couple pictures on the AM site. The circled areas is where the squeak is coming from and it does look like a Steeda part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16238_alt1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	481930   Click image for larger version

Name:	92058_800px.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	481938  

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Just thought I'd close out this thread. Steeda sent me new bushings and the noise is now gone. I lubed the bushing prior to installing them in the bracket. They came pre-assembled last time. Seems like a zerk fitting and some grooves in the bushing would be a permanent solution.

PONY Member

THANK YOU for coming back to post the resolution. Most guys don't. Which is so frustrating to someone else who has the same problem.

For a suspension clunk/rattle/squeak my first step when a customer arrives (after checking for the obvious things) is to disconnect the swaybar ends and either tie it up or pull it off completely and go for a test drive. It's the easiest part to remove - usually six bolts or less - and frequently the source of such noises.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page