Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I am honestly not sure exactly how it works either, but I think that mechanic is confused.

The differential works all the time, every time you go around a corner the clutch plates? are slipping against each other and any needed lubrication is happening. This allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds because the distance around the outside of a corner is longer than the distance around the inside.

When you do a burn-out, you are asking the plates to not slip; so both tires get power instead of just one. I don't think there is any lubrication at work here, probably just the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
JBert is correct.

Damn - All this time I've been scrubbing rubber off I considered it periodic maintenance.

crjackson2134 likes this.

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
Damn - All this time I've been scrubbing rubber off I considered it periodic maintenance.
Well, it does exfoliate the rear tires

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
To my limited knowledge, the 8.8 Torson uses a friction worm gear system without friction plates (clutches).
Torsen was installed in a relatively small number of cars compared to the number of cars that came with the clutch type limited slip differentials.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Torsen was installed in a relatively small number of cars compared to the number of cars that came with the clutch type limited slip differentials.
Yeah, I forgot about that. Both of mine have the Torsen. Either way, if it's turn'n, it's lubricate'n. It was a brainfart (happens quite often these days), I forgot not all mustangs have that.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Apprentice

Garage
Mmmmm Exfoliate

Quote:

Lots of parts. Still slow
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

I wonder how that would play? "Officer I was just exfoliating my tires!"

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I wonder how that would play? "Officer I was just exfoliating my tires!"
Somebody try that and let us all know how it goes. haha

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Banned

Quote:
I have been told it's good to occasionally smoke the tires to keep the limited-slip rear end lubricated. Is that fact or fiction?

Fiction.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I do not see an issue with burning out or doing high rpm clutch dumps when on street tires. They go up in smoke alleviating any shock to the driveline anyway so if anything you are only wearing our tires yout and revving the engine high...the clutch/tranny/driveshaft/rear-end should not be affected too much. It's dumping the clutch on slicks/Drag radials where you run the risk of breaking stuff.

As long as you don't mind rubber on the fenderwells/rear bumper/undercarraige and knowing you will be replacing your tires sooner than by all means have fun and burn out.

I do 2nd gear burnouts in the box at the track...it's what you do to warm the tires up.

Have fun OP and stop worrying so much. It's a mustang and can take some abuse...

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

it ain't good for anything (except giggles) to smoke tires. It ain't bad (unless it involves a telephone pole/curb/weak spot in drive train). Do you want to do this? if so go for it, if it's only for your nephews find a YouTube video of the same color car doing it and say here.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

just don't forget to disable Traction Control before burning rubber

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
Apprentice

Never understand why people get so worked up about someone having fun! I Paid a lot of money to have a 1/2 mile driveway and am proud to say over the last 10 years quite a bit of rubber has been deposited on it! In fact nothing beats seeing your 80+ year old neighbor coming up to say hello, pull his e-brake in his newer fusion and neutral bombing it rolling smoke for a 100 or so feet! I encourage everyone who can in a safe setting burn some rubber, that includes doing donuts in private parking lots if having permission ( I have a 45,000 Sq Ft black top lot) or anywhere else that can be done without jeopardizing others or yourself. Have fun people! Live a little! Let your car breathe and have some fun too! For the record, I have always and always will be who I am, I have run over 500 Friday and Saturday street races minutes from where I live, spotters 1/2 from start and end points with no chance of anyone getting on the road in between. If anyone is ever near the Pittsburgh area and wants to join in on the fun let me know, many (25 or so) 600+ whp cars come to play and every once in a while my father will bring his 69 maro sporting a nice 572 ci cranking out 975 hp to the pavement to show us "kids" what a real car can do.
baggyp, Bill'sFive.0 and kdaly1 like this.

2014 Mustang GT / E-Force Supercharger / Borla axleback / Recaro / Brembo 6P 15" / DSS Aluminum / Cervini hood, louvers, wing / Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter / M/T Street Comp SC5 wheels and M/T Street comp tires 255/35/20 and 305/35/20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page