Excessive drive line noise/movement? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Excessive drive line noise/movement?

Good Morning all.

Good Morning all, I am going to try to explain this the best I can. I have a 2012 GT with 38,000 miles. At low speeds (parking lot speeds) in first and sometimes second gear I can hear and feel what sounds/feels like something is rocking back and forth somewhere forward of the shifter. If it was a broken/loose engine mount Id expect damage on the inside of my hood and I donít have any damage to the hood. Is this the two piece drive shaft? The car has been modified with: Ford Racing K springs, Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, castor camber plates, factory strut tower bar, rear control arm relocation brackets, adjustable pan hard bar, and a HURST shifter. PHEW. I listed all mods so you can see what Iíve done (all installed by me). Iíve checked all the bolts and fasteners that Iíve touched and they are torqued to spec.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015
Apprentice

Does it happen right after you shift/hit the clutch? If so that's pretty normal and it's from the 2 piece driveshaft. I've noticed that it'll also happen when you let off the gas quickly in low gears- like in all manual cars, at low gears the car becomes that much more sensitive to throttle inputs and you'll feel the driveshaft lash around a little.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabhy View Post
Does it happen right after you shift/hit the clutch? If so that's pretty normal and it's from the 2 piece driveshaft. I've noticed that it'll also happen when you let off the gas quickly in low gears- like in all manual cars, at low gears the car becomes that much more sensitive to throttle inputs and you'll feel the driveshaft lash around a little.

Yes, exactly, it is when shifting if I am not smooth or if I get on the throttle hard from part throttle or off throttle abruptly. Another reason for a one piece drive shaft!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1488 View Post
Yes, exactly, it is when shifting if I am not smooth or if I get on the throttle hard from part throttle or off throttle abruptly. Another reason for a one piece drive shaft!

Don't expect a one piece shaft to completely fix it. There is still a bit of normal lash in the ring and pinion too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page