Leather seats lumbar support - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Leather seats lumbar support

My '13 GT Premium has the standard leather seats and I've noticed that after even short drives my lower back ends up hurting. I've tried adjusting the lower back support to be all the way out and all the way in and neither seems to help, invariably even after a 10-15 minute drive my lower back hurts. Is there anything I can do to make this seat more comfortable? All my previous vehicles never made my back hurt while driving them and my office chair I sit in when working during the day is also fine.

Would the factory Recaros help here? It feels like the lower back adjustment is up too high and where it would help is if it was lower down. I'm messing around with keeping the seat more upright now to see if that helps, usually I have it reclined back pretty good as I prefer driving that way. I hate the thought of taking a long trip in it though, I feel like my back would really be hurting after any lengthy drive.

2013 Silver Ingot GT Premium 6R80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
Your knees are higher than your hip will seated in your car, that's why your back hurts. Check with a back Doctor.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Try some planks and lower back stretches and make that lower back stronger.

I've actually taken long trips before where I would stop every 90 minutes, get out, drop, and do some back stretches on the ground.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Apprentice

funny, I have the factory GT premium seats and find them extremely comfortable, even on 12+ hour drives.

I suggest you check the HEADREST to be certain it is FULLY RETRACTED by first extending, then releasing the ratchet mechanism.

Could be your whole problem !

RWSRWS

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'll try putting the headrest back totally flat, though I don't even rest my head against it so I don't think it'll do any good. I've honestly never thought once about comfort in a car seat since all my past cars felt good and never bothered me. I almost feel inclined to try one of those inserts that goes at the bottom of the seat, but I get the feeling those don't last. Thinking back, I've driven dozens of different cars all for at least 15 minutes and none have ever been uncomfortable just this one. Even the 350z and C5 Vettes both had comfortable seats. I did try yesterday putting the front seat position all the way down and raised the back up, so far it seems a little better but the ache still comes after driving just not as bad. I try to fully sit back in the seat, but maybe slouching a bit will help?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
I keep the back of the seat as strait up as I can and have made many 3 hour trips with no issues. I've had back surgery and a history of back problems.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm trying the seat in a more upright position now, though per others who have gotten in my car I like to sit in the backseat (True of all my cars, but I keep the seat cushion close to the pedals so I'm not stretching to reach them). I do keep my back against the seat though and I try to be conscious of how my back is positioned. I actually bought one of the office style chairs from an old workplace because they actually support your back and the back piece moves independent of the seat cushion.

Reaper, what did you have back surgery for? My dad has lower back pain and it's related to his sciatic nerve. Can't convince him to go and get it taken care of somewhere even though I've certainly tried.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The seat back in the Premium Mustang has an odd "C" shape to it. It took me a while to find a collection of settings that worked for me. Another problem is the reclining ratchet. One notch is too upright, the next notch is just a bit too far back. I set it to the "just too far back" notch and then use the front/rear tilt to compensate.

The lumbar support is also a bit tricky. If you inflate it to where you really "feel" it poking you in the back, it's probably over inflated and you're putting stress on your lower back. I inflate it until I "feel" it, then deflate a bit. That consistently works for me.

Now the headrest. I never really knew the proper setting, I just kinda guessed, until recently. I was watching a show about crash testing and a manufacturer (Volvo?) discussed their crash test results. During a crash, if they can minimize the rearward movement of the head, it greatly reduces the chance of closed brain trauma and whiplash. So, I set the headrest so when I shift back in my seat and tilt my head back (simulating a rearend collision), my head moves about an inch.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015
PONY Member

If the 11-14 leather seats are anything internally like the 09 cloth seats then you really have nothing to support you inside the seat and this could be causing you problems. I recently had to take my seat apart to fix the broken lumbar. If you look inside the seat you will be shocked at how cheaply Ford made these seats. They are 90% foam, NO springs or wires or anything to support your back. (Maybe the base seats with no lumbar have something else inside) There is only the lumbar support assembly to hold you up. This consists of a plastic sheet and a spring. This is all that holds you in place. Once the lumbar spring breaks then you have only the plastic to hold you. It's really garbage. The lumbar on mine had the broken spring which I repaired then found that the motor assembly gears all fell apart internally. Motor works and makes noise but nothing else. Ford sells the entire assembly as an unit, (NO separate parts) for a whopping $400. I repaired it myself by creating some support springs and now I have excellent lumbar support even better than what the OE settings were at.

Long story short, you can take your seat out and give yourself much greater support for just a little time and a few dollars for string cable.

Here is a picture of the internals from another post here on the forum. The first one is the way the seat is made. The second gives you an illustration of what I did as my repair since I didn't take any pictures at the time. Basically strapped some metal wires from the metal end points. Plastic will break but the metal will last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang Lumbar  Broken - Pic #1.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	1,011.0 KB
ID:	485993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang Lumbar  Broken - Pic new.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	1,018.0 KB
ID:	486001  
Apprentice

Hey Vistance, I had the same issue with my seats. Eventually, I opened the back of the seat at the plastic joint and stuffed a small pillow through there. I closed it back up and it is now very comfortable. I no longer need any extra back support. Even the electronic lumbar support still works and I no longer have to keep it at the most "up front" position. If you end up doing this just be careful with your hands or wear gloves. You can't really see up in there because of the angle and the fact that the rear does not open up all the way. I found out the hard way after cutting my index finger on the metal frame. Good luck!

BAMA 93 tune, Steeda CAI, BBK 73mm Throttle body, BBK LT headers, BBK catted X-pipe, SR Perf rear LCA, Ford racing 3.73 gears, FR strut tower brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page